lfl

Question about translations

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi,

Does the evidence of meeting and things like that require translations? Like for instance bus tickets, rent contracts and hotel reservations. We have a bunch of them in spanish and most of the content of a whole contract or a hotel reservation looks pretty useless to me so I was wondering if it's necessary to translate the whole things or just some parts or nothing at all? Maybe just an explanation of the paper is enough? And also, can I translate or do I need to hire a translator?

Thanks for the answers :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

Does the evidence of meeting and things like that require translations? Like for instance bus tickets, rent contracts and hotel reservations. We have a bunch of them in spanish and most of the content of a whole contract or a hotel reservation looks pretty useless to me so I was wondering if it's necessary to translate the whole things or just some parts or nothing at all? Maybe just an explanation of the paper is enough? And also, can I translate or do I need to hire a translator?

Thanks for the answers smile.png

All documents have to be translated into English. The evidence like hotel, bus tickets and things I wouldn't worry about translating them. Always use a certified translator. In other words you can't translate them.

event.png

All documents have to be translated into English. The evidence like hotel, bus tickets and things I wouldn't worry about translating them. Always use a certified translator. In other words you can't translate them.

evidence for uscis dont need be translate.

And he can translate his papers if he is flenty in english.

Read the guides here, there are a lots of example letters how you can translate yourself your papers even for aos.

Hi,

Thanks for the answers :)

You dont need translate nothing at this stage.

Send the proofs in spanish the whole packet will go to the consulate of the beneficiary.

There they speak spanish.

Timeline

evidence for uscis dont need be translate.

And he can translate his papers if he is flenty in english.

Read the guides here, there are a lots of example letters how you can translate yourself your papers even for aos.

From page 2 of I-129f instructions: Translations: Any document submitted to USCIS with information in a foreign language must be accompanied by a

full English translation.The translator must certify that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that he/she is competent to translate from a foreign language into English.

Maybe it's different in the Embassy they are going to but in our case they had to be translated by a certified translator and have an official stamp on it. NO the evidence does not have to be translated but a birth certificate or divorce agreement does.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi,

If a document is in a foreign language, yes, translate it before sending it off to USCIS. You don't need a certified translator, and can definitely do it yourself providing that you are competent in the language. See: http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

For evidence of meeting, hotel reservations are not considered strong evidence as you can reserve a hotel but not appear on the day. Stronger evidence are things like passport stamps, credit card billing statements that show transactions in your fiance's country/city, etc.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

official documents (divorce decree, birth certificates) must be accompanied by certified translations

supporting evidence (bus tickets, rent proof, reservations) do not need to be translated.

This is because official documents are "hard evidence" for your case used by USCIS to build and store your case. Supporting evidence are "soft evidence" that just give an impression to your interviewer about your relationship. Your interviewer is required to be fluent in spanish, also, those things will be returned to you at the end of interview or when you pick up the visa.

This is speaking from experience as an approved fiance visa holder :-) best of luck!

4/1/13 - I-129F sent to Lockbox, 4/5/13 - I-129F received, 4/9/13 - NOA1, 422/13 - Alien Reg # changed, 814/13 - RFE, 817/13 - RFE reply, 10/30/13 - NOA2, 1/30/14 - Interview: Approved!

COMING TO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/6/14 - POE

3/20/14 - Married

3/28/14 - File date for AOS

4/2/14 - NOA1 for I-485, NOA1 for I-765

4/7/14 - Requested EAD expedite

4/9/14 - USCIS request evidence of need EAD expedite

4/17/14 - Biometrics walk-in early (for may 2 appt)

5/12/14 - EAD card received

7/10/14 - Notice of interview waiver received

2/26/15 - Green card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Nope no need to have Certified, all Translations regardless of who di them must have the

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and
languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the
document attached entitled .

Signature
Date Typed Name
Address

The above must be on the translations

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yes, you can. Anyone fluent in both languages can place a certification on the translated document and sign it. USCIS provides a sample certification format to use. Scroll halfway down this page and see what USCIS says about translations. Nowhere is it stated you must hire a third party. http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Hi,

if there is a rental contract in Spanish that has both your names on it, then that is good evidence of meeting. Translate the items that are good evidence of meeting so you can be sure the adjudicator knows what the evidence actually is and says. See the links and certification posted above for translating yourself.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Yes, you can. Anyone fluent in both languages can place a certification on the translated document and sign it. USCIS provides a sample certification format to use. Scroll halfway down this page and see what USCIS says about translations. Nowhere is it stated you must hire a third party. http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

We only had to get two documents translated into English ( birth certificate and divorce certificate) and the price of 20 dollars was well spent to get that official stamp on it from a Russian lawyer. That way there is no question about it being accurate. Her daughter did the translations but is a certified translator in her country.

In the end it's up to you what you feel comfortable doing!:) Good Luck!:)

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thank you for the answers =). I think I'll probably use a translator for stuff like the birth certificate just in case. I was wondering more about the evidence of meeting for the USCIS stage, not the embassy, but if I don't have to translate that's better, we have a lot of boarding passes and passport stamps from all the times we saw each other anyway, it was just extra stuff, I am fluent in both languages so it shouldn't be a problem if necessary. Just wondering because contracts are really long =p.

Timeline

We only had to get two documents translated into English ( birth certificate and divorce certificate) and the price of 20 dollars was well spent to get that official stamp on it from a Russian lawyer. That way there is no question about it being accurate. Her daughter did the translations but is a certified translator in her country.

In the end it's up to you what you feel comfortable doing!smile.png Good Luck!smile.png

I was simply addressing the fact that you stated that they could not translate it themselves. That is not so. If you want to go ahead and pay someone for a translation, then of course you can. It is just not a requirement for the USCIS.

Most consulates do not need translations of documents that are in the native language of that country, but I believe a few instruct to have them in English. Always follow your consulate's instructions for the K-1 visa interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.