Beautifulday

letter to the representative/senator

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

hi guys.....would u be willing to look at this letter i wrote (my fiance will correct all the grammar mistakes etc) and tell me if it's appropriate to send to the congressmen....if there's anything i should remove from it or add up....im basically reaching out to them cuz i want them to help me with finding our petition that's been lost, got approved 3 months ago.....would u guys just take a minute or two to read this quick and tell me if this should be clear enough to them....

Dear Mr.....,
I am writing to you because I am hoping that you would be willing to help me with this complicated visa process. I feel helpless and hopeless because our fiance visa process is not moving forward and we simply do not know what is going on with it. Our petition seems to be lost and it has been way too long. This is why I decided to reach out to you as you seem to be our last hope.
I have a foreign fiance with whom we've decided to apply for a fiance visa. This visa would allow her to come to the US to marry me and then become a resident.
I have applied for a K1 fiance visa for my alien fiance in March of this year and got approved on April 18th. Our petition got approved by the California Service Center which is one of two USCIS offices that process this type of visas. Our approved petition was then supposed to be send off to the National Visa Center in New Hampshire and then make it to it's final destination in the US embassy in Warsaw. This is where the question arises because we do not know where our petition really is. All we know is that it got approved on April 18th (I do have the physical approval on hand) but nobody seems to be able to localize it or tell us anything helpful. The estiamted time for an approved petition to get from an USCIS office to the NVC is up to 5 weeks and it has been almost three months for us now and I am beyond frustrated. I have been constantly calling the NVC ever since we got approved to find out whether they received our petition yet but the answer is the same everytime. I have also emailed them with the scan of our approval as they advised me to do but I've never heard anything back from them. I have also contacted the USCIS office many times but it seems like the people there don't have a clue what they are talking about and they are not helpful at all, seems like they don't even try. I have asked to speak to an immigration officer and even he couldn't tell me where our petition was.
We have tried everything, I signed up for text/email notifications, I have checked our case status online many times, called and e-mailed both places several times and we still do not have an answer. I have also filled an inquiry on the USCIS website and received a letter from them stating that they no longer have jurisdication over our petition because it has been forwarded to the NVC but the NVC claims they do not have our petition in their system. So really we don't know whether it is still at the USCIS office that reviewed and approved it or if it is at NVC but just not in their system. Maybe it got sent off to some place other than the NVC by accident. I just know that it's doubtful that the petition went straight off to my fiance's embassy because all approved petitions go to the NVC first and are assigned a new case number that allows the petition to be tracked.
This is a very frustrating and saddening thing to be going through, not just the waiting itself but also not knowing where our petition really is, not knowing what happened to it. It is heartbreaking to be so far away from your loved one and not being able to know when you will see them again. We are helpless and can't do anything else about this process and that is why I am asking for your help. I can't just sit here and wait and that is why I am counting that you will help us and reach out to these institutions in order to find out what is going on. We would be so grateful.
Thank you so much in advance for taking your time to even read this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Beautifulday,

Just a suggestion, i would suggest doing the letter with a chronology based on a timeline showing the dates and what you have done on those dates. We governmental officials tend to like to look at the bottom line so we can see just what you done and what has happened so far. And it's make the letter easier to read and get through and it flows better in my opinion. It's just a suggestion.

Timeline

Beautifulday,

Just a suggestion, i would suggest doing the letter with a chronology based on a timeline showing the dates and what you have done on those dates. We governmental officials tend to like to look at the bottom line so we can see just what you done and what has happened so far. And it's make the letter easier to read and get through and it flows better in my opinion. It's just a suggestion.

i dont really know how to do that....i mean, i have to explain the situation a bit, right? and is the one i posted too long, too complicated to read or something? i didnt even know how to write this because idk if these senators/reps know what a fiance visa even is...so i didnt know if i should be telling this like i was talking to a person that was clueless about it or how..

Timeline

i dont really know how to do that....i mean, i have to explain the situation a bit, right? and is the one i posted too long, too complicated to read or something? i didnt even know how to write this because idk if these senators/reps know what a fiance visa even is...so i didnt know if i should be telling this like i was talking to a person that was clueless about it or how..

Beautifulday,

I would be like this:

1. 12-01-13 - Prepared documents
  2. 12-05-13 - Mailed application via FEDEX tracking number
  3. ETC.. ETC

You can use approximated dates of what you have done. And that's the point that you are trying to show all that you done to find your application. It clearly shows to an official that you done alot of work and gotten no where with the agency. And it's more likely the actual person who will be responding for the congressman will a deputy or liaison or someone like that who handles these things. They will be the one who will read your letter and if it's concise, detailed and to the point they will be able to better help know what you have already done.

Timeline

Beautifulday,

I would be like this:

1. 12-01-13 - Prepared documents
  2. 12-05-13 - Mailed application via FEDEX tracking number
  3. ETC.. ETC

You can use approximated dates of what you have done. And that's the point that you are trying to show all that you done to find your application. It clearly shows to an official that you done alot of work and gotten no where with the agency. And it's more likely the actual person who will be responding for the congressman will a deputy or liaison or someone like that who handles these things. They will be the one who will read your letter and if it's concise, detailed and to the point they will be able to better help know what you have already done.

right but two questions...

1. i can do the timeline sure, but i mean the letter needs to explain the situation also, right? so do u think that what i wrote plus the timeline would be good and clear enough? or what i wrote is too long and complicated...i was trying to explain it in detail ....

2. if i do the timeline, do i do the full timeline like u just gave an example of...telling them when we applied, when we got noa1 and 2 and all that, or just the timeline of the things we've done to try and find our petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They do know what a K1 visa is, every senator/congressman's office has delegated secretaries looking after immigration issues.

Our letter was 2-3 pages long which directly addressed TSC discrepancies (I included factual data) as well as the delay in our petition approval (I included a neat table of dates). The more you lay it out clearly and concisely, the easier it will be for them to act on it.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

They do know what a K1 visa is, every senator/congressman's office has delegated secretaries looking after immigration issues.

Our letter was 2-3 pages long which directly addressed TSC discrepancies (I included factual data) as well as the delay in our petition approval (I included a neat table of dates). The more you lay it out clearly and concisely, the easier it will be for them to act on it.

well do u think the letter i wrote is clear enough? would that and a timeline be good..

Timeline

well do u think the letter i wrote is clear enough? would that and a timeline be good..

Yes I think doing a timeline would be good, i would be more detailed with the times and dates you spoke to NVC, USCIS etc and explain their response from each time.

Then your last paragraph should explain that your petition will expire and this is a matter of urgency.

Also, will you be wording this as per from your american fiance's point of view?

Timeline

Yes I think doing a timeline would be good, i would be more detailed with the times and dates you spoke to NVC, USCIS etc and explain their response from each time.

Then your last paragraph should explain that your petition will expire and this is a matter of urgency.

Also, will you be wording this as per from your american fiance's point of view?

well, if they know stuff about the k1 and its process, wont they know that the expire date doest matter as it can be renewed...?

i just wrote a template of the letter and he corrected it, and he will send it. i created a timeline...is it any good...?

1. 03/25/2014 - filling date

2. 03/27/2014 - Notice of Action 1 (receipt)

3. 04/18/2014 - Notice of Action 2 (approval)

4. 05/01/2014 - called NVC for the first time to find out if they received our petition

5. May 2014 - constant checking the case status on the USCIS website and calling the NVC everyday

6. 06/03/2014 & 06/19/2014 - as advised by the NVC, sent e-mails to the NVC research team with a scan of the NOA2 in order for them to investigate

7. 06/19/2014 - sent e-mail to the NVC Inquiry

8. 06/19/2014 - sent e-mail to the California Service Center office

9. 06/19/2014 - signed up for the e-mail/text notifications regarding the case

10. 06/21/2014 - sent e-mail to the USCIS Public Engagement

11. June 2014 - called the National Customer Service Center multiple times

12. 07/07/2014 - contacted the CIS Obudsman Service

13. 07/08/2014 - received a letter from the USCIS stating that our petition has been forwarded to the NVC (didn't specify the date) and gave us an ID referral number which reads "**********"

14. 07/10/2014 - called the NVC to see if they received our petition but they say they don't have it

15. 07/11/2014 - 07/15/2014 - constant calling the NVC but they do not have our petition they say

Timeline

well, if they know stuff about the k1 and its process, wont they know that the expire date doest matter as it can be renewed...?

i just wrote a template of the letter and he corrected it, and he will send it. i created a timeline...is it any good...?

4. 05/01/2014 - called NVC for the first time to find out if they received our petition

5. May 2014 - constant checking the case status on the USCIS website and calling the NVC everyday

6. 06/03/2014 & 06/19/2014 - as advised by the NVC, sent e-mails to the NVC research team with a scan of the NOA2 in order for them to investigate

13. 07/08/2014 - received a letter from the USCIS stating that our petition has been forwarded to the NVC (didn't specify the date) and gave us an ID referral number which reads "**********"

14. 07/10/2014 - called the NVC to see if they received our petition but they say they don't have it

15. 07/11/2014 - 07/15/2014 - constant calling the NVC but they do not have our petition they say

Everyone who knows a K1 visa, know there is an expiry, but writing a letter to a government representative you need to truly express GREAT concern, and that would also included screaming at the top of your lungs that this is a HUGE issue because you know it will expire.

It's all about emphasis when writing these things.

Perfect timeline! :dancing:

Edited by sweetswinks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process to General Immigration-Related Discussion - topic is about contacting representatives and can apply to any immigration process, not just K-1 issue ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Timeline

We had a similar situation (not exact obviously, CR-1 visa, regional USCIS office, etc.) in that our file was lost in a USCIS field office after approval - it took a couple of months to move to NVC. No one could tell me where our file was located.

Using names and email addresses I found on VJ (and cross-referenced through Google searches and some guesswork about how USCIS email addresses are structured) I sent an email to senior managers inside USCIS, including the inspector general for USCIS. Our file was "found" and sent to NVC within a DAY of my sending that email. I tried calling tier 3 (above a tier 2), the Ombudsman at USCIS (who called me a month after I self-corrected the situation) and Congressional help. That email is what worked. Nothing else worked. I spent several days hunting down the names and email addresses. A half day drafting the email.

I don't have the names or email addresses (and they've likely changed) but I believe a combination of finding the right people to whom to send the email, along with a concise explanation of who I spoke with, when, etc. were the reasons for my success.

So...some pointers for you...as others have indicated have a clear chronology - bullet points, numbers, whatever. Give dates, people's names, exactly what you asked for, and exactly what you were told.

Avoid piling on about how upsetting and frustrating this is...clearly it's frustrating...they know that...and even if they don't know or care what you want is action, not commiseration. Only provide facts, not guesses and not emotion. Make your letter hard to follow or understand, or full of emotion, and chances are greater it gets ignored. Present your case in a logical, crisp and unemotional manner.

Think about this from their perspective. Give the facts you believe they need to take action. CC the right people to make sure the person you want to take action feels pressure. Most importantly send the email to people who can directly help. Otherwise, it gets deleted or ignored.

Best of luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

To be honest, I'd probably wait another two weeks before getting a congresscritter involved. We had a shorter gap, but the same thing happened: got NOA2, then got a second letter a bit later saying the case had been transferred. The case showed up in the NVC system three weeks to the date of the second letter.

Also, has your fiancé already called and talked to the appropriate human in his congresscritter's office?

Timeline

I agree, this is a good timeline, it will be easy for them to see what has transpired.

Timeline

guys, yesterday we sent this very letter and timeline to one of the state's senators and a representative and today the senator's office calls my fiance and lets him know that they contacted the uscis and that our petition has been found, it got sent off to the records center....and they say it will now be sent off to the nvc and they will be checking on it. i cant believe they acted this fast!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.