Stuckinthevoid

Manila: Hong Kong Dollar bank draft for police certificate

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance spent three years working in Hong Kong 15 years ago and needs to acquire a police certificate. This is the last issue we have to resolve before her K1 interview.

We have been trying to acquire the bank draft in HK dollars that is required to get her police certificate, but none of the banks will issue it. As we read in other posts here some BPI branches will do it (and my fiance has an account there), but they have recently changed their police and cannot issue bank drafts at BPI in Hong Kong dollars. We have tried many other banks but none will issue the draft.

Has anyone recently had success in Manila with acquiring a bank draft in HK dollars? If so, which bank? Did they require an account there?

Thank you.

Yes we tried BDO. They require that you have an account for 6 weeks before you can do a bank draft.

You might want to find a friend that has a BDO account to speed up the process. 6 weeks is not that bad, just state that in your case to the embassy.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I acquired HK$ bank draft at Wells Fargo.

March 7, 2013 →NOA1 of I-130 ( National Benefits Center )
October 17, 2013 →Transfered to Nebraska Service Center
November 19, 2013 → Case Approved
November 22, 2013 → Case Sent to DoS
December 16, 2013 → NVC Received the Case
January 9, 2014 → Got NVC number via phone
January 16, 2014 → AOS Paid
January 28, 2014 - IV Paid
February -- Joint Sponsor back-out =(
April 4, 2014 - Found New Joint Sponsor =)
April 10, 2014 → Sent AOS package and IV documents
April 17, 2014 --AOS package and IV documents entered the system
May 2, 2014 → RFE for AOS
June 2, 2014 → Sent new AOS package
June 6, 2014 → AOS package entered the system
July 8, 2014 →NVC Case Complete
August 4, 2014 → Interview ( APPROVED!) under AP waiting for HK Police Clearance Certificate.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sweetmomma, Wells Fargo Center in Fort Bonifacio? Did you need an account? This is great news!

I have an account at Wells Fargo and I ordered my HK$ bank draft thru phone and they delivered the check in 3 days.

You can order HK$ bank draft and pay in cash at Wells Fargo branch https://www.foreignexchangeservices.com/FES/stores/locator.html

March 7, 2013 →NOA1 of I-130 ( National Benefits Center )
October 17, 2013 →Transfered to Nebraska Service Center
November 19, 2013 → Case Approved
November 22, 2013 → Case Sent to DoS
December 16, 2013 → NVC Received the Case
January 9, 2014 → Got NVC number via phone
January 16, 2014 → AOS Paid
January 28, 2014 - IV Paid
February -- Joint Sponsor back-out =(
April 4, 2014 - Found New Joint Sponsor =)
April 10, 2014 → Sent AOS package and IV documents
April 17, 2014 --AOS package and IV documents entered the system
May 2, 2014 → RFE for AOS
June 2, 2014 → Sent new AOS package
June 6, 2014 → AOS package entered the system
July 8, 2014 →NVC Case Complete
August 4, 2014 → Interview ( APPROVED!) under AP waiting for HK Police Clearance Certificate.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does your fiance have any friends in HK whom she trusts? She send her docs and money to her TRUSTED friend. Her friend can then get a bank draft then hand deliver the papers. My wife had to do that. She worked in HK for 18 years!

Make sure that she submits the docs AND fingerprints in strict accordance with HK Police guidelines - per their website. She'll need to have Red Ribbon Authentication.

Timeline

I sent mine May of 26th my fiancee has issued his personal check for the payment but before end of June they send it back to my fiancee they said they cannot process my police certificate because they want a bank check or bank draft and fiancee did as they told and re-mailed it to hong kong the same day. Getting a bank draft here or money order is such a headache it took me so long i have BDO accnt but they did not issue me unless u open for check account

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Philippines forum from, K1 process and procedures~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

We were wrong. It takes 6 months after opening an account to get a bank draft. The only banks we have spoken to that will do a bank draft in Hong Kong dollars are HSBC and PNB. However, they will not allow you to do a bank draft until 6 months! I also tried contacting bank of america (as I have an account there) to see if they could send me a bank draft withdrawn from my account but they said it was not possible.

We are in a serious bind over this issue, as our K1 Visa and CRBA interviews are in three weeks while we have spent the last month trying to simply get this bank draft so we can get the police certificate. Has no one managed to get a bank draft in Hong Kong dollars without having an account open at one of these banks? Can anyone please help us?

Thank you.

Stuckinthevoid, on 04 Jul 2014 - 03:28 AM, said:

We were wrong. It takes 6 months after opening an account to get a bank draft. The only banks we have spoken to that will do a bank draft in Hong Kong dollars are HSBC and PNB. However, they will not allow you to do a bank draft until 6 months! I also tried contacting bank of america (as I have an account there) to see if they could send me a bank draft withdrawn from my account but they said it was not possible.

We are in a serious bind over this issue, as our K1 Visa and CRBA interviews are in three weeks while we have spent the last month trying to simply get this bank draft so we can get the police certificate. Has no one managed to get a bank draft in Hong Kong dollars without having an account open at one of these banks? Can anyone please help us?

Thank you.

Have you read some "older" threads on this subject? Maybe this will help http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/420435-hong-kong-police-clearance-problem/

If you have a friend living in HK that you trust maybe you can send everything to them plus wire the money and asked that they complete the transaction in the monetary note in which HK Police require as well as hand deliver your documents and payment to HK offices as noted in the instructions/website.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Found this if you need it to contact HK Police for any clarification. For enquiries, you may write to the HK Police Office at, e-mail eo-cncc-ib@police.gov.hk or call (852) 2860 6558 or fax (852) 2200 4321.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

We already called HK police and they told us that they still recieve transfers from PNB and HSBC but the other banks they no longer recieve transfers from (ie. information in older threads regarding BPI and BDO transfers are outdated and no longer relevant...hence my specific question regrading information from people who've done it successfully recently). HK police also do not have any other payment options like wire transfers or paypal. PNB and HSBC both require accounts that have been valid for 6 months. We do not have trustworthy friends in HK.

We gave up and I bought a plane ticket to Hong Kong to deliver the application myself.

Edited by Stuckinthevoid

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.