DSDK

medical emergency on K1

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiance received his visa in early November, arrived in the states the week of thanksgiving, and this past tuesday recieved a call his mom had a heart attack and was in critical condition. Our wedding was scheduled for Dec. 28th, but he had to leave and go back to Ukraine on the 25th. We tried to find a way to obtain an advanced parole, but in meeting with and discussing with USCIS local office station chief, since we had not gotten married there was nothing we could do. Being a holiday, and government offices being closed, court houses being closed, etc. we could do nothing. Does anyone know if talking to the consulate, or senator anyone could help us in this situation??? feeling really lost and really worried about going through the entire K1 process again, and being denied since he relinquished (in essence) his visa to go to be with his mom.

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

2/28/13 text case was received

Planning a New Years Eve Wedding! Fingers crossed time lines stay about the same!!! :)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You will need to go through the K-1 process all over again. However, there is no reason for him to be denied becuase he did not use the K-1 the first time around. If nothing else, that you should be applying and going thorugh the process all over again, will only show you are committed to each other. He will not be denied as a result of not getting married this time around.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I just don't understand how they will not look at it and say, well he left one time what means he won't leave again. I admit i'm feeling quite defeated right now, but I know our government, and I know that they typically have little to no compassion, they look at the facts and make a decision.

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

Planning a New Years Eve Wedding! Fingers crossed time lines stay about the same!!! :)

I agree with Gegel. Although it's disheartening to have to start over, I doubt he'll be denied this time around just because he had to leave the USA before marrying. Emergencies happen.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

then why do they not have a process for emergencies for this time. they do once an AOS is filed but not before... that makes no sense to start the entire process over and cause them to do more paperwork.

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

Timeline

Merrytooth, where did you find this???

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

Good call, Merrytooth. Certainly worth a try.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

I just don't understand how they will not look at it and say, well he left one time what means he won't leave again. I admit i'm feeling quite defeated right now, but I know our government, and I know that they typically have little to no compassion, they look at the facts and make a decision.

I am sure they will be curious as to why he decided to leave after one month and not get married, however, there is absolutely no prejudice in doing it, so much so that one has 90 days to get married upon arriving in the US. All he has to do is explain to them that he had to return home for a family emergency. I understand how you would be worried and all but objectively, there is no reason for him to be denied since you are the same person to whom he was going to marry. Nothing really has changed other than life throwing a curve ball his way.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

but the process didn't take as long the second time? Thanks for the info. I just love all you VJ members and all your help, support, and encouragement!

~D~

2/21/13 Package sent

Timeline

You should be contacting the US Embassy in Ukraine immediately. Ask about the option of Reissuance of K-1 Visa if your fiance could return before 90 days from the date of the original admission into

the United States in K status.

9 FAM 41.81 N6.3 Reissuance of K-1 Visa

(TL:VISA-2; 08-30-1987)

If a K-1 visa, valid for a single entry and a 6-month period, has already been

used for admission into the United States and the alien fiancé(e) has

returned abroad prior to the marriage, the consular officer may issue a new

K visa, provided that the period of validity does not exceed the 90th day

after the date of initial admission of the alien on the original K visa and

provided also that the petitioner and beneficiary still intend and are free to

marry. The alien’s return to the United States and marriage to the petitioner

must take place within 90 days from the date of the original admission into

the United States in K status.

This is indeed good news!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I didn't read merrytooth's post but I know it can be done. He needs to contact the embassy and since you are not married they could at their discretion, issue a new K-1 visa with the same expiration date as the old one. He would have to marry you within the 90 days of entry from the original K-1 entry, not his re-entry.

Again, it is totally at the discretion of the embassy and I would recommend he have a lot of proof of the medical emergency when he goes to plead his case.

I didn't read merrytooth's post but I know it can be done. He needs to contact the embassy and since you are not married they could at their discretion, issue a new K-1 visa with the same expiration date as the old one. He would have to marry you within the 90 days of entry from the original K-1 entry, not his re-entry.

Again, it is totally at the discretion of the embassy and I would recommend he have a lot of proof of the medical emergency when he goes to plead his case.

Actually the new reissued K-1 visa expiration date is the date when the 90 days of entry from the original K-1 entry ends.

**This was for my case.

And if they did not manage to get marry within the 90 days of entry from the original K-1 entry, after entering US with reissued K1 visa, they still could file I-130 and I-485 together within US.

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

but the process didn't take as long the second time? Thanks for the info. I just love all you VJ members and all your help, support, and encouragement!

Yes, Email the Embassy. You should be talking with them, not us.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.