xsparr0w

So confused- DS230/DS160?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So i'm trying to get all my forms together for the interview process. I have instructions printed from the Embassy of London site that says step one is to complete the DS-260 "Immigrant Visa App Form"

Then underneath it says:

""***For K visa applicants ONLY, complete the DS-160 online ....""

On other instructional websites, even this one, all it says is to fill out the DS-230. However when I look at descriptions of these, the DS-230 is an app for an Immigrant visa, whereas the DS-160 is for a non-immigrant visa, which my understanding is that the Fiance K-1 visa is considered 'non-immigrant' visa (which is what im filing)

So my question is... what do I do? Do I fill out both? Only one? Which one!?!

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

All you need is DS160. There have been a couple of recent threads on the subject, also from the UK. Check them out. :)

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

London changed processes really recently, so there's conflicting information around the place still. It's really easy to get confused lately. :)

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

Yes ive been reading other threads as well. Apparently the DS160 has been replacing the DS156 and 157? Even so id still like to fill them out to be safe! You never really know.

Timeline

the embasy havent sent u the packet with the instrutions

Not yet. I want to have everything asap and ready to go so we can just get it all done! Im sick of waiting for him to get here :)

i dont know if is the same in united kingdom but i found this in the embassy of my country

All visa applicants under the following categories (K1-K2, K3 and K4) must complete, electronically, the form DS-160 (on line Non-Immigrant Visa Application).

The DS-160 plus the form DS-156K are the only forms that you need to fill out for the visa interview if your are applying under the following categories: K-1, K-2, K-3 and K-4. These forms replace previous forms such as the DS-230, DS-156 and DS-157

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The DS-260 is for spousal/immigrant visas. The DS-160 is for K-1/non-immigrant visas. They have changed to the DS-160 for ALL K-1 applicants across the globe. It happened rather suddenly, but it is not a bad thing to streamline the process and make the same form requirement for everyone no matter what country you interview in. Kerry sent a memo about the change, and the last part of his memo is quite clear about not using the DS-260 for a K-1 >

You may not, under any circumstances, accept DS-260 Immigrant Visa Electronic Application forms for K visa applications.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/Using_ds_160_for_K_Visa_Applications_October_2013.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

So i'm trying to get all my forms together for the interview process. I have instructions printed from the Embassy of London site that says step one is to complete the DS-260 "Immigrant Visa App Form"

Then underneath it says:

""***For K visa applicants ONLY, complete the DS-160 online ....""

On other instructional websites, even this one, all it says is to fill out the DS-230. However when I look at descriptions of these, the DS-230 is an app for an Immigrant visa, whereas the DS-160 is for a non-immigrant visa, which my understanding is that the Fiance K-1 visa is considered 'non-immigrant' visa (which is what im filing)

So my question is... what do I do? Do I fill out both? Only one? Which one!?!

Thanks!

You haven't even gotten your instructions from London yet. They will tell you a link to the CURRENT procedure on their embassy website.

This is what you follow with nothing extra. http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

Click every link and thing that says "read more" and you will find your way. Don't go by posts older than Oct 7. It all changed in London, first on Sept 1, then again on Oct 7. Go by the London instructions in the link and read the info in the left, center and right columns.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

That's what's confusing....the fact that it keeps changing, I was in the middle of a change and filled out DS160 AND DS260........ (Der me)....... I had my interview and the DS260 wasn't even mentioned..... I think they know that it is confusing some people so as long as you have the DS160 when you go for the interview it will be fine, that's what they ask for before you get inside the embassy so they can check you off the list, then you'll be asked for it again inside the embassy....... Good luck

Outside the embassy there has been somebody yelling out "be sure you have you DS-160" for a couple of years. They were speaking to all the people there for non-immigrant visas like tourist and student visas. It used to disturb a few K1s who thought they has missed a form because they had mailed in paper forms. They still got checked off the list.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

It's the DS-160. It, for a very short time, was the Ds-260, so I had filled that out. When I got to the interview they were asking for the DS-160. Luckily for me I had all the previous paperwork from before it all went digital, so it ended up not being an issue, but if I hadn't of had them and just turned up with the DS-260 I would have had to re-book. So definitely DS-160!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.