Bad_Daddy

Man who donated sperm to resist state petition for child support

8 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/man-donated-sperm-resist-state-petition-child-support-204159286.html

By Kevin Murphy | Reuters – 14 hrs ago

KANSAS CITY, Kansas (Reuters) - A Kansas man who donated sperm to a lesbian couple so they could have a child and now faces a petition for child support, will resist the demand in court next week, one of his lawyers said on Wednesday.

William Marotta, 46, donated sperm to Jennifer Schreiner and Angela Bauer under a written agreement that he would not be considered the father of the child nor liable for child support. A daughter, now 3, was born to Schreiner.

But in October, the state of Kansas filed a petition in county court seeking to have Marotta declared the father of the child and financially responsible for her.

The case has repercussions for other sperm donation cases, lawyers for Marotta said. Sperm banks routinely provide sperm to people who want to conceive a child on the understanding that the donors are not responsible for the children.

Kansas is seeking monthly child support of $189 from Marotta, which is the amount the state provided the couple last summer. The state also wants $5,885 in medical expenses related to the child's birth, according to its petition. A hearing is planned January 8 on a motion by Marotta to dismiss the case.

State officials are required under the law to determine the father of a child when someone seeks state benefits, said Angela de Rocha, spokeswoman for the Department for Children and Families. The couple was compelled to provide that information, which led to investigation of the sperm donation.

Marotta should be declared the father and subject to financial claims because he donated the sperm directly to the women and not through a physician, as required by Kansas law, the state's petition states.

But lawyers for Marotta argue that he had no parental rights to begin with because of his agreement with the couple and cannot be held financially responsible. They cite a 2007 case in which the Kansas Supreme Court ruled against a sperm donor seeking parental rights because he did not have any such agreement with the mother, lawyers for Marotta said.

"So now, we are flipping the argument around," Marotta attorney Ben Swinnen said Wednesday.

If the father had no legal parental rights in the 2007, Marotta should be declared to have no parental obligations in the current case, he said.

Marotta's lawyers also discount the argument that sperm must be donated through a licensed physician in order for the father to be free of any later financial obligations. Their petition said Marotta gave a container of semen to the couple and does not know if they took it to a physician.

The case has repercussions for other sperm donation cases, lawyers for Marotta said. Sperm banks, for example, routinely provide sperm to people who want to conceive a child, they said.

Marotta responded to an ad on Craigslist from someone offering to pay $50 for sperm donations, but he made the donation for free, according to court documents.

"He has no desire to be involved in rearing the child and has had no contact with her," Swinnen said.

Swinnen said his law firm, Swinnen & Associates, is representing Marotta at a reduced rate because of his limited finances. They are also raising money for his legal defense on the law firm's website.

"This is taxing him beyond his means," Swinnen said.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
:rofl: And who's name is on the Birth Certificate.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wait- am I reading into this correctly? This couple went out of their way to get pregnant, and then went on State aid? That's awesome. At least they didn't have 8 of them I guess.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

This is a an evil game of 'Hunt The Wumpus'

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

A bit of a stretch, but since it's so entertaining I have a contribution to make.

Many years back. German tennis sensation Boris Becker got a ####### from a black chick at London Heathrow. He came into her mouth and she smiled and spit it into a glass, consequently heading to her doctor's office. Nine month later she filed a lawsuit for child support and . . . won! Since the guy was a multi-millionaire already by the time that happened, she really cashed in big time.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915