saralex

Filing smart = filing at the right time?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everybody,

This is our first post here and well, after just one day of information gathering on my immigration plan, I can already tell that this website is my reference.

Our story:

I am French, she is American, and we got married in France in December 2009. We have been living in France since then so I could finish my studies.

What's happening now:

In 11 months exactly my PhD contract is officially over and we plan to move to the US then. The goal is of course to minimize the amount of time in France after my contract so I don't have to find another job in France.

Our question:

It's really simple: when is the best time for us to file?

The IR-1/CR-1 visa seems to suit us the best. We know that once the visa is issued we have six months to actually move and we did see that according to statistics it takes about 290 days for the procedure to complete. Then it sounds like we should file ASAP, but this is just an average and we might have missed some essential points.

Thank you!

09/2008: Met in France
12/2009: Wedding in France
Since then: Living and working together in France

USCIS:
01/15/2013: Got our official NOA1
02/08/2013: Got an email stating our I-130 was approved followed by the snail mail NOA2

NVC:
03/2013: Received the AOS and IV bill ==> Paid all bills and decided to wait before filing the AOS and civil documents for personnal reasons.

10-11/2013: AOS & Civil documents were sent to NVC

12/19/2013: RFE on AOS

01/12/2014: New AOS was sent

02/10/2014: Received appointment letter

Embassy:

03/12/2014: Interview: approved

03/14/2014: CEAC website went from Ready to AP to Issued!

03/18/2014: Visa in hand!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1352054568[/url]' post='5800688']

Hello everybody,

This is our first post here and well, after just one day of information gathering on my immigration plan, I can already tell that this website is my reference.

Our story:

I am French, she is American, and we got married in France in December 2009. We have been living in France since then so I could finish my studies.

What's happening now:

In 11 months exactly my PhD contract is officially over and we plan to move to the US then. The goal is of course to minimize the amount of time in France after my contract so I don't have to find another job in France.

Our question:

It's really simple: when is the best time for us to file?

The IR-1/CR-1 visa seems to suit us the best. We know that once the visa is issued we have six months to actually move and we did see that according to statistics it takes about 290 days for the procedure to complete. Then it sounds like we should file ASAP, but this is just an average and we might have missed some essential points.

Thank you!

Usually people who live and file from abroad get approved quicker, last I knew it was 2-3 months. Timelines now are difficult to predict since these petitions are being sent to local uscis office since 8/15 and I have seen some of those apps approved in 45 days.

I would start the process ASAP, once approved you can take some time in the NVC and interview, even then, once the immigrant visa is issued I believe it is valid for at least six months for travel.

Good luck.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Start it now. Once approved at USCIS and out of their time table, You have abit of wiggle room. You can control once you get to NVC when you want to pay your Affidavit of Support, when you want to pay and send in your DS-3230 (IV BILL packet). I have known of some your dragged it out a year. Than the interview if its too far or too close to what you want you can ask for a different date. And as you noted 6 months from the medical examine you can come to US.

So now would be good just because you never know how processing will be at the service centers.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody,This is our first post here and well, after just one day of information gathering on my immigration plan, I can already tell that this website is my reference.Our story:I am French, she is American, and we got married in France in December 2009. We have been living in France since then so I could finish my studies.What's happening now:In 11 months exactly my PhD contract is officially over and we plan to move to the US then. The goal is of course to minimize the amount of time in France after my contract so I don't have to find another job in France.Our question:It's really simple: when is the best time for us to file?The IR-1/CR-1 visa seems to suit us the best. We know that once the visa is issued we have six months to actually move and we did see that according to statistics it takes about 290 days for the procedure to complete. Then it sounds like we should file ASAP, but this is just an average and we might have missed some essential points.Thank you!

Bonjour and bienvenue!

Start now. The sooner the better. Here's the process:

1. Your wife files an I-130 package with the USCIS.

2. I-130 is approved or denied by USCIS.

3. If approved, I-130 is sent to NVC (National Visa Center)

4. Your wife sends an I-864 package (Affidavit of Support) to the NVC.

5. You send a DS-230 (Immigrant Visa application) to the NVC.

6. NVC sends AOS and IV packages to the embassy in Paris, and schedule you for an interview there.

7. You go to your interview and get the visa approved or denied.

8. If approved, you may enter the US and will become a permanent resident the moment you enter.

Timing:

I-130 can take from 2 weeks to 8 months to get approved. Normal time frame is roughly 4 - 5 months. If your wife lives in France with you, it usually doesn't take more than 3 - 5 weeks.

Expect about 3 - 4 weeks from I-130 approval until the NVC receives you file.

Expect about 2 - 4 weeks (if you act quickly) from NVC receives your file until they send your file to the embassy.

Expect about 4 - 8 weeks from NVC sends the file to the embassy until your interview.

Altogether, if your wife lives in France when you file, the process can be done in about 4 months.

If your approved I-130 reaches the NVC after only 2 months, keep in mind that the NVC can hang on to your file for one year. This means if you still have 9 months left until your contract is up, you can wait half a year to act on it, and time it roughly so that your visa is issued immediately before your contract is up.

Timeline

Great! Thank you all for your answers.

I have one last question for now:

The french ambassy's website is not really clear on where to file. If we send the I-130 to the Chicago Lockbox, will it be then forwarded to Rome? Or do I have the option to send it directly to Rome?

Thank you again!

USCIS:
02/08/2013: Got an email stating our I-130 was approved followed by the snail mail NOA2

NVC:
03/2013: Received the AOS and IV bill ==> Paid all bills and decided to wait before filing the AOS and civil documents for personnal reasons.

Embassy:

Filed: Timeline

Great! Thank you all for your answers.I have one last question for now:The french ambassy's website is not really clear on where to file. If we send the I-130 to the Chicago Lockbox, will it be then forwarded to Rome? Or do I have the option to send it directly to Rome?Thank you again!

Not sure if the embassy in Paris allows for DCF/has a USCIS office. Rome has nothing to do with it. Generally, you would send the petition to Chicago Lockbox, and make sure your wife uses her French address.

Timeline

Not sure if the embassy in Paris allows for DCF/has a USCIS office. Rome has nothing to do with it. Generally, you would send the petition to Chicago Lockbox, and make sure your wife uses her French address.

Alright, duly noted.

I was mentionning Rome because they have USCIS office (unlike Paris), and France is under Rome's USCIS jurisdiction but DCF in France is only allowed under exceptionnal circumstances. We'll send it to the Chicago Lockbox then.

Thank you all again.

USCIS:

NVC:

Embassy:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.