Delver

Jury Duty for Illegal Alien? Please Help

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I am very worried and can't sleep since I received a summon letter for jury duty. How can i go to court when i am an illegal alien? Another big problem is that my passport was lost and my visa has been expired. Should I go personally to court-house but without my passport with me? (to tell to the court-clerk that I am not a citizen). But honestly I am also so scared to go to the courthouse:(....and you know if we failure to respond to this summons we will subject to either a fine or jail term or both.

Anyone may help me please? Thanks.

Respond either by phone (if given that option) or with a mailed letter stating that you are a not a US citizen and therefore not eligible to serve jury duty. Don't go in person, and there's no need to specifically refer to your immigration status. Simply tell them you are not a US citizen.

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd be more concerned about how they got your name on a jury list since here is the qualification

To be legally qualified for jury service, an individual must:

be a United States citizen;

be at least 18 years of age;

reside primarily in the judicial district for one year;

be adequately proficient in English;

have no disqualifying mental or physical condition;

not currently be subject to felony charges; and

never have been convicted of a felony (unless civil rights have been legally restored)

The US citizen part worries me

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I'd be more concerned about how they got your name on a jury list since here is the qualification

To be legally qualified for jury service, an individual must:

be a United States citizen;

be at least 18 years of age;

reside primarily in the judicial district for one year;

be adequately proficient in English;

have no disqualifying mental or physical condition;

not currently be subject to felony charges; and

never have been convicted of a felony (unless civil rights have been legally restored)

The US citizen part worries me

Good luck

In Nevada Jurors are pulled from Drivers License and/or voter registration lists, it is the same way in California. If you get a drivers license or register to vote you can possibly get a jury summons. My wife actually got one and we had to email/fax in a copy of her green card showing she was not a citizen, so she could be excused and not have a bench warrant issued.

I am not sure how you would do it being here illegally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As the poster has received the correct information to her question I am going to close this thread to further discussion rather than risk it being derailed because of the poster's status.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.