Darren526

how can you file a tax return when you haven't been living in the USA

15 posts in this topic

Hi had interview today with consulate and they rejected us because my wife hasn't filed a income tax return for 2011. But she hasn't been living in the USA for 2011 how do they think we can do this. I will be using money left for me by family as they have passed away recently to help us to relocate to the USA. We have even proved it by using a solicitor letter what should we do next any help will be greatly appreciated.

She just files them. Google 1040 form, send to the address in the instructions. A USC must file taxes even if they didn't work in the US. For future reference for you as well, a Legal Permanent Resident must do the same.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Hi had interview today with consulate and they rejected us because my wife hasn't filed a income tax return for 2011. But she hasn't been living in the USA for 2011 how do they think we can do this. I will be using money left for me by family as they have passed away recently to help us to relocate to the USA. We have even proved it by using a solicitor letter what should we do next any help will be greatly appreciated.

The last day to file 2011 Taxes is on Tuesday, April 17, 2012, therefore Your wife must not have filed Taxes for 2010 - nor included the Transcripts in the package. Even if she didn't earn any wages she must still file a tax return for the prior year.....

USCIS

05/29/2011: Married

08/12/2011: Sent I-130 packet.

08/15/2011: NOA1, Priority Date

02/22/2012: NOA2 - Approved

02/25/2012: NOA2 - Received hard copy in mail

NVC

03/06/2012: NVC received

03/07/2012: NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned

03/08/2012: DS3032 sent by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Re-send DS3032 by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Received (2)Email with DS-3032 Kit and AOS Bill instructions

03/14/2012: AOS bill appears as PAID

03/16/2012: Mailed AOS package (I-864)USPS EXPRESS

03/16/2012: DS-3032 Accepted Via Beneficiary Email (Took 8 DAYS from 1st Email)

03/20/2012: IV bill invoiced & paid $404.00

03/21/2012: IV bill Payment reflecting PAID / AOS checklist received

03/30/2012: IV package DS-230 sent via USPS Priority

04/02/2012: IV package Delivered @ 11:55 am w/signature

04/12/2012: Re-Sent DS-230 Part 1 W/Photocopy of receipt from Hong Kong Police Via USPS EXPRESS

04/13/2012: DS-230 Part 1 package Delivered to NVC ATTN:DR @11:52am

04/17/2012: CASE COMPLETE (41 Days @NVC)

04/22/2012: Request Expedite

04/24/2012: Expedite Approved!(2days)

04/25/2012: Case sent to U.S. Consulate General in HONG KONG

Medical / US Consulate / POE:

04/30/2012: U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong received

05/16/2012: Interview Scheduled May 22, 2012

05/22/2012: Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

05/26/2012: Visa in Hand (9 months 11 days from NOA1)

I am a USC residing abroad, and I file my taxes each year with TurboTax. If your wife made less than $91,400, it will take you to Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion), which will be completed along with the 1040. You won't owe any taxes on the salary, as long as it is below the $91,400 threshold. If she made more than $91,400, then she will probably want to consult someone who is experienced in dealing with expat taxes. I believe the US government has tried to reduce double taxation (paying taxes to both county of resident and the US), but I can't offer advice about how those are handled.

Here is some info from the IRS website:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=108276,00.html

Good Luck!

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Even when you live in another country for 8 years and has filed Aussie tax returns for the years she has worked in the Australia you still need to file in the USA as well even though she hasn't been there working don't they consider that double dipping? trying to get this matter cleared up so we can get approval .

Even when you live in another country for 8 years and has filed Aussie tax returns for the years she has worked in the Australia you still need to file in the USA as well even though she hasn't been there working don't they consider that double dipping? trying to get this matter cleared up so we can get approval .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Even when you live in another country for 8 years and has filed Aussie tax returns for the years she has worked in the Australia you still need to file in the USA as well even though she hasn't been there working don't they consider that double dipping?

There is a difference between filing and paying. The IRS simply wants a record of what you have made, unless she made a lot of money (as mentioned above), she won;t have to pay.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

@darren526

i agree with all the posters here - slightly different skew on my answer but it still applies to you.

my wife - the benficiary - did not live in the US - but i declared her income - and as stated its below that 92000USD - note thats US DOllars - you will need to convert local currency to USD when you enter this into something like turbotax.

On the www.irs.gov site - search for 2555 and it will tell you what to do etc

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=130524,00.html

also you can use this site - its one of the choices linked from the IRS site to convert:

http://fms.treas.gov/intn.html#rates

I did turbotax entry at the weekend and can verify it does ask the pertinent questions.

And yes - its not a case of paying taxes - all USCs - regardless of where they live, must FILE their taxes.

you may have some trouble here... see if you can file your taxes for the previous years that you have not - and then send that it - with proof of filing - use the e-file if you can - not sure if thats going to be possible for previous years now- you may have to snail mail it.

The process clearly says - send your tax returns... they want to know that you make enough money to cover the Federal Poverty guidelines.

Edited by lubnajavid

NOA1 August 3 2011
NOA2 April 14 2012
NVC receipt May 17 2012

Case upgrade request sent via email April 3 2013

Case upgraded by NVC from F2A to CR1 April 19 2013

Interview June 6th 2013 - APPROVED - case upgraded to IR1 at time of interview based on time married

Visa in hand June 10th 2013

IV fee paid using ELIS June 17th 2013

POE Houston July 15th 2013

GC arrived in mail Aug 12th 2013

SSN card arrived in mail Aug 19 2013 (1 week after applying)

Your wife will probably be able to exclude some foreign income (through the foreign income and/or housing exclusions). If she had employment income in excess of that amount, then she can potentially use foreign tax credits to offset any foreign income taxes paid against US tax liability.

As has been noted, all US citizens (and permanent residents) face US tax liability on their worldwide incomes, with provisions as the above designed to minimize or eliminate double-taxation burden. If you become an LPR, you will be subject to these same requirements.

I'm a little confused :unsure: ...not about the having to file taxes part - yes all USC have to file taxes in the US regardless of whether they are living there or not.

The part I'm confused about is ....how did you get to the interview stage without having to have put in the tax returns beforehand???

Not much you (well your wife) can do except file the taxes she is missing.

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

I am interested also in how you get to consulate stage without this information? What did you submit with your I864? We are in a similar position. My husband has never worked in the us and we are trying to get his tax returns done before we have to submit I 864. Also we are planning on proving support through assets. I am interested to hear your journey.

USCIS Stage - 10 days total from package received to approved

03/09/12 - I-130 package sent

03/12/12 - package received

03/14/12 - NOA1 received via email

03/22/12 - APPROVED - NOA2 received via email - USC living abroad (8 days)

03/27/12 - NOA2 received in mail

NVC Stage - 34 days from case number to case complete - including messy RFE

04/17/12 - Case has arrived at NVC

04/27/12 - Case number received (25 days from approval)- sent DS3032 via email

05/02/12 - AOS bill received via email

05/03/12 - AOS bill paid via portal & DS3032 accepted

05/04/12 - IV bill received and paid. AOS bill appears as PAID.

05/05/12 - IV bill appears as PAID. Still waiting on replacement marriage certificate.

05/11/12 - DS230 and I864 packages (without marriage cert) sent to joint sponsor before being forwarded to NVC

05/16/12 - marriage cert sent direct to NVC

05/17/12 - I864 and DS230 sent to NVC overnight via fedex - received 05/18/12

05/25/12 - checklist for original marriage and divorce certificates - marriage certificate delivered to NVC

05/30/12 - divorce certificate delivered to NVC

05/31/12 - AOS package accepted - thrilled!

06/01/12 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!!! (email received)

06/07/12 - Interview Date Assigned

06/08/12 - emailed Sydney IV to request earlier appointment - approved 07/03/12

07/11/12 - INTERVIEW DATE - APPROVED

10/06/12 - POE LAX (then onto Seattle)

121 DAYS FROM PETITION TO APPROVAL

I am interested also in how you get to consulate stage without this information? What did you submit with your I864? We are in a similar position. My husband has never worked in the us and we are trying to get his tax returns done before we have to submit I 864. Also we are planning on proving support through assets. I am interested to hear your journey.

I was left a share of an estate from my deceased estate. And was using the funds that I have gained to use as support which totals well over the threshold which the US Government require. My wife(petitioner) living here in Australia with me for 8 years did not know she had to file US Taxes while paying Australian taxes out here. She has only been working out here for the last 3 and a half years.

What I submitted with I864 was a Statutory Declaration from our solicitor stating that I am entitled to funds from my deceased father's estate. The NVC accepted the Affidavit Of Support.

I was surprised that they also required a US Tax Return.We spoke to the NVC about whay to put down for the Tax sections on the I864, just said to leave blank and go with the assets that I have required, Never got rejected. I thought I would be granted a Visa at the interview. Was surprised to get rejected.

I have since got my wife to file a 2011 US Tax Return online to the IRS. And have sent a copy to the US Consulate in Sydney. I have no idea how long they will take to decide and grant me a IR1 Visa but at least I have done what they require.

@darren526

i agree with all the posters here - slightly different skew on my answer but it still applies to you.

my wife - the benficiary - did not live in the US - but i declared her income - and as stated its below that 92000USD - note thats US DOllars - you will need to convert local currency to USD when you enter this into something like turbotax.

On the www.irs.gov site - search for 2555 and it will tell you what to do etc

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=130524,00.html

also you can use this site - its one of the choices linked from the IRS site to convert:

http://fms.treas.gov/intn.html#rates

I did turbotax entry at the weekend and can verify it does ask the pertinent questions.

And yes - its not a case of paying taxes - all USCs - regardless of where they live, must FILE their taxes.

you may have some trouble here... see if you can file your taxes for the previous years that you have not - and then send that it - with proof of filing - use the e-file if you can - not sure if thats going to be possible for previous years now- you may have to snail mail it.

The process clearly says - send your tax returns... they want to know that you make enough money to cover the Federal Poverty guidelines.

I'll get my wife to sort out her past taxes once we move to the States. Its not like she will owe any money to the IRS. Her yearly salary would be well below the threshold. I have her Australian Tax returns for the past years so will be able to get the information I require from them. We just didn't realize she had to be filling US Taxes. Wouldn't be surprised if their are other people around the world who haven't been filing US Taxes while living overseas..

I wont have to file Australian taxes while living in the States. I will do my last Australian Tax return after June 2012. We have the option of marking our tax returns as being the last if relocating overseas.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

@darren526 - good luck - hope this works out for you.

let us know how it goes or if you have questions - there are plenty of people here to help with advice! :)

NOA1 August 3 2011
NOA2 April 14 2012
NVC receipt May 17 2012

Case upgrade request sent via email April 3 2013

Case upgraded by NVC from F2A to CR1 April 19 2013

Interview June 6th 2013 - APPROVED - case upgraded to IR1 at time of interview based on time married

Visa in hand June 10th 2013

IV fee paid using ELIS June 17th 2013

POE Houston July 15th 2013

GC arrived in mail Aug 12th 2013

SSN card arrived in mail Aug 19 2013 (1 week after applying)

What I submitted with I864 was a Statutory Declaration from our solicitor stating that I am entitled to funds from my deceased father's estate. The NVC accepted the Affidavit Of Support.

I was surprised that they also required a US Tax Return.We spoke to the NVC about whay to put down for the Tax sections on the I864, just said to leave blank and go with the assets that I have required, Never got rejected. I thought I would be granted a Visa at the interview. Was surprised to get rejected.

A friend of mine from here in VJ also had her AOS 'approved' by the NVC only to have her husband denied at interview. They were just under the 125% poverty guideline (and I admit - she should have realised this herself when she sent the AOS) and were told by the embassy to get a co-sponsor.

Unfortunately it seems that the NVC really doesn't 'vet' the AOS - so I don't know why we have to bother sending things to them in the first place. It seems they just check to see if all the papers are there, and don't really check to see if it fully meets the requirements. In that respect I'm surprised they actually approved your AOS because I thought they would still have been looking for your wife's tax returns (or a statement saying that she wasn't required to file), even though you say your assests are over the minimum required.

Having said that, it really doesn't matter what the NVC says - approval is at the discretion of the Embassy/Consulate. The good news is that this should be a pretty easy fix. I know it's frustrating and upsetting to have been denied, but honestly, once your wife gets her tax transcript and you submit it to the Consulate - they shouldn't take too long to get your approval.

Good luck with it - just hang in there a little bit longer - the end is in sight!!

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.