sheepp

Layovers

72 posts in this topic

Peruvians do need visa for many countries, like US, Canada, Australia, most Europe countries, etc.

Sheepp, what is unique about Peru that complicates the visa situation? I could understand if it was a state with high terrorism, drug smuggling, human trafficking, etc..... But Peru???

I always had the impression that Peru was a rather mild mannered country that participated and respected international treaties. Did I miss something, or is this visa requirement common with other South American countries as well?

Edited by brian_n_phuong

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Sheepp, what is unique about Peru that complicates the visa situation? I could understand if it was a state with high terrorism, drug smuggling, human trafficking, etc..... But Peru???

I always had the impression that Peru was a rather mild mannered country that participated and respected international treaties. Did I miss something, or is this visa requirement common with other South American countries as well?

I think you did not read my post completely... :blink:

TdATm5.png

*07-12-2011 --- Package sent :)

*07-13-2011 --- NOA1 , Vermont!

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

*10-14-2011 --- NOA2!!! Yeeeeeeee!!!!

*10-19-2011 --- Hardcopy of NOA2 :)!!

*10-24-2011 --- NVC Received (no case number assigned yet)

*10-26-2011 --- NVC case number assigned :)

*10-28-2011 --- NVC sent to the embassy :)

*10-31-2011 --- Embassy receives package!!! :)

*12-05-2011 --- Medical! _____DONE AND PASSED!!! :)

*12-19-2011 --- Interview!!! :)!! APPROVED!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

*12-29-2011 --- Visa in hand! :D

*12-30-2011 --- POE Newark!! Finally with mi amor!

*02-24-2012 --- We got married! :) [/color][/font][/font]

I think you did not read my post completely... :blink:

Oh but yes I did, and some of it was in Spanish ! (Not a problem as I'm fluent en espanol)

So what your saying is that Peru is NOT unique, at least in this hemisphere. I am used to travelling in countries that have regional treaties with each other and/or with the United States that negate the need for a transit Visa. I assumed that a similar treaty or agreement existed in the Americas, but that was grossly incorrect (and am still eating crow 5 pages later).

Timeline

I´m glad you could understand some of the names of the countries I wrote in Spanish, but those were the countries that we can travel without a visa, and as you can see there are southamerican countries.

:ot2: I already know what will I do about the layovers, prices, etc. Again, thank you to all for the info.

TdATm5.png

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

My wife was flying thru Frankfurt with a US visa and a Kazakhstani passport. I e-mailed the German embassy to see what the requirements were for her. For Germany, as long as she stayed in airport she did not need a visa. If she was to leave the airport then she would need a visa. When my flight from London to Almaty was canceled and I had to go via Moscow, I asked several times if I needed a transit visa to go thru Russia. I was told that I did not. However, the immigration officer at the Moscow airport took my passport and told me to come back to this door at 7am (it was 5am) to retrieve my passport. So there I am in the Moscow airport without a passport. To me that was a transit visa, making me wait.

To my mind I would make certain of the country's requirements before booking flights.

Have a Happy New Year.

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Of couse I must have the last word, how else will I ever earn a bunch of orange hearts and reach

"Supreme Member " status?

:whistle:

Actually I was one the first few people to respond to the OP. I have also had my original response quoted numerous times which required a response. Therefore I do have some ownership and right to participate in this thread without your approval.

Hearts are red... don't forget it..

Claiming your answers being quoted (particularly when they need to be corrected or clarified) which somehow provides you some sort of thread ownership is not a claim I would be making, but noobs can be delusional

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

passport "normal"

Select nationality

Select departure country

Destination Countries {United States}

Connecting Countries {all that apply}

Click continue ALL YOUR ANSWERS ON CONNECTING FLIGHTS IN OTHER COUNTRIES

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/travel/passport/default.aspx

Edited by vacrimefighter

Peruvians do need visa for many countries, like US, Canada, Australia, most Europe countries, etc.

For a tourist visa Peruvians do not need any visa for Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Bahamas, Barbados, Dominican Republic, Panamá, Nicaragua, Trinidad y Tobago, Brunei, South Corea, Emiratos Arabes Unidos, Filipinas, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Líbano, Malasia, Singapur, Tailandia, Russia, Panamá and more.

Peruvian passport wont raise any eye brown if the Peruvian passport holder has the right visa in their passport or if the country is one of the mentioned above or any other that doesnt require a visa, visas are requered to avoid illegal inmigration of people from other countries, and while there are illegal Peruvians in US and other countries Peru is not one of the countries with high number of illegal inmigrants, and its economy is very stable, what is happening is instead of that, we are receiving many inmigrants and some of them still illegal in our country. Just to clarify the "raise eyebrowns" expression. Merry Christmas

Was not trying to imply anything related to illegal immigration of Peruvian citizens and the raised eyebrows was not related to visas at all. If it seemed that way, my apologies.

Just first hand experience, as I happen to have a Peruvian passport and have traveled with it at times, especially around South America. One example of eyebrow raise: couple of years ago I took a hiking trip in Southern Chile and Argentina, using local/regional buses usually; most people in the buses were locals and Germans with some Dutch and an occasional French. The hiking trek i Had planned took me back and forth between Argentina and Chile in several occasions and at every passport control, the driver would collect passports and hand them over to the post for stamping, etc. In every post, no exceptions, I was the only one asked to step into the office. Was traveling with my Peruvian passport, no visa was needed. Yet, they (army personnel usually) felt like they needed to ask me a question or two. I have similar experiences when a visa was needed, which I had, in Europe. I am talking more than just the standard 'reason of your visit' here, and usually nothing excessive; but definitely more than others, inclusive to people I was traveling with. In other occasions, used my US passport: same country, same arrival city, etc; and no questions. Nothing more. My lesson: never assume anything, each experience is different and best is to be prepared as much as possible. That is the whole reason of this site, the deep and varied experience of the members here is what makes the difference into preparing and to be bring awareness of many things that one might not thing of.

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Timeline

I understand that you have had that experience, I have also travelled to Argentina in November with my passport, peruvian passport, and there were other peruvians too, some of them were asked many question, some of them had to check their bags, in my case they even didnt ask me why i was going there, the lady told me, tourist right? I answered "yes", she stamped my passport and said enjoy! and that was all, didnt ask me anything else, didnt open my bags or anything, the same with a trip to Chile years ago. I think that it also depends on the criteria of the official. ;)

TdATm5.png

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

Timeline

Amor,

After looking this over I think we have come to a couple of conclusions...

1. Canada is out.. Need a transit Visa..
  2. Mexico is ok with a valid US visa to layover (Need to check the medical requirements however)
  3. Preferable to travel through Bogota or Panama as you do not need a visa to layover

Both Delta and Continental have good info on this.. A better researched VJ member has already posted one link from which the following information was derived.

I have marked the areas that are relevant to our situation in BOLD below (Pertaining to Mexico)...

/ 27DEC11 / 0037 UTC

National Peru (PE) /Embarkation Peru (PE)

Transit Mexico (MX) /Destination USA (US)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Mexico (MX)

Visa required, except for :

- holders of a valid visa for the USA. In all other cases:

Visa required, except for holders of normal passports issued

to nationals of Peru accompanied by an Electronic

Authorisation (SAE) (SEE NOTE 40646)(SEE NOTE 42158).

NOTE 42158: Passenger must travel on Aeromexico with

destination Brazil, China (People's Rep.) or Japan.

NOTE 40646: Electronic Authorization System (SAE):For details, click here

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit TIRULES/R32 time of 24 hours.

- Note: when transiting through Cancun airport (CUN) at least three hour connecting time is required.

- No hotel accommodation is available within the transit area.

Mexico (MX)

No vaccinations are required to enter Mexico from any country.

USA (US)

Passport required.

- Passports issued to nationals of Peru must be valid for intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a Form I-512 ( Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States").

- Holders of a Temporary or Emergency passports.

Visa required, except for Holders of a Form I-512(Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States").

Minors:

- Children, up to/incl. 15 years of age, excluding nationals of the USA and nationals entitled to travel under the US

Visa Waiver Program (V.W.P.), are allowed to travel on their parent's passport. A person included in the passport of

another may not use the passport for travel unless he/she is accompanied by the bearer.

Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to

cover their stay and documents required for their next

destination.

- A passenger may enter the USA with a valid visa in an

expired passport, provided For details, click here

Warning:

- Return/onward ticket is required to travel to the USA.

USA (US)

No vaccinations are required to enter the USA from any country.

Warning:

- Those entering on a K-1 or K-2 visa must hold a medical form

FS398 and X-ray plates of chest (full size not necessary).

To facilitate handling upon arrival considerably, passengers

are advised to have these health documents ready in their

hands as they must have them at hand for the health control,

which takes place immediately after disembarkation.

To sum up, our first choice is obviously to layover via Panama or Bogota. Alternatively, we would have you layover in Miami or another US city.

All depends on when you get the visa and what flights are immediately available.

While I appreciate all the support and great info provided my my contemporaries here on VJ, I would appreciate very much that care be taken when dropping an opinion about something that could significantly affect the ability of my fiance to transit to the US without properly researching it first.

My initial thought was similar to many here. As an American citizen, I can pretty much travel most places I want with my passport (Not so for my trip to Brazil however).. And While my initial reaction was that it seemed preposterous that one would require a transit visa when holding a valid US visa with US as a destination(Especially with how difficult it is to get a US visa), after doing just a bit of research, I realized that while I feel it is ridiculous, this is just simply how it is...

I always do my best not to give advice here based on what I think as while I may think that I am smart and resourceful, what I don't know could fill all wings at the library of congress.

Now perhaps I would not have much to say on this subject if it were not that this happened to be MY BABY that we are advising here! :)

So off the soapbox and on to thanks to all who have been smart and well researched in such complicated matters. We are very grateful to you all and will do what we can to support you all going forward.

THANKS!!

Best,

The Optimist.. :)

Timeline

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) Love u amor!! :yes:

And yes, thank you guys!

TdATm5.png

*07-20-2011 --- Touched.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.