10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife and I went to the AOS interview and passed. She is supposed to receive her GC in about 4 weeks. The question I have is what is the I-551 stamp? Her passport did not receive any stamp.

The I-551 stamp is the equivalent of a temporary green card. It's generally stamped into the passport if you are approved, have pre-booked travel arrangements and take the documents to your interview with you. It's basically to allow you easier return to the US, but it's no different functionally from the green card.

If you don't have plans for international travel, then it's not a big issue as the green card itself will be in the mail shortly. They say 4 weeks, but most of us receive it within 7 days. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

• 2 years later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi VJer's

We just recieved the great news that my husband was just approved for his I485 peitition and should be recieving his Green Card within 30 days. I noticed some comments on the I-551 stamp for traveling, but we will not be internationally traveling till October to the DR for a friends wedding, at which point he should already have his green card. Does he still need the temporary residency stamp? His Interview was waived so they didn't require him to go to the local USCIS office for an interview, and therefore he didn't recieve a stamp. Again he wouldn't need permission to re-enter the country till OCtober, and we'd only be going for maximum a week. I was just curious if he needed to have both when we leave the country in order to reenter since in some of the listings I read it was needed to have both. I appreciate your help! Thanks!

RomaSkirsky-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You do not need the stamp. You will use your green card. I-551 is the document number/name for permanent residency. Your green card is an I-551. You do not need the I-551 temporary stamp in your passport and the actual green card. They only give the stamp if you do not have your green card and absolutely need proof of being a permanent resident. They do not give them out just for having your AOS approved.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Actually it depends on the office and the IO whether they will give the I-551 stamp, ours did it without even having to ask for it but regardless it isn't important as you should have the official green card within a week or so.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Actually it depends on the office and the IO whether they will give the I-551 stamp, ours did it without even having to ask for it but regardless it isn't important as you should have the official green card within a week or so.

Interesting. They used to easily give them out when approved at an interview, but they stopped doing that. Maybe some of the older IOs still give them out easily.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.