Dave and Shannon

New 2011 LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

447 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

A note on the voting, I opted out 'forever'. Received a fine from the Qld govt for not voting in the last election ... it went to my old address in Bris and the tenant sent it to me! Nice, now I have to call and try and sort it out. This happen to anyone else??

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

Great news! I was back there for 2 weeks over Sept 13-27. It was so weird hearing Aussie accents. Glad to hear you had a good visit!

OMG seriously Vanessa? We were there 12-26 September lol - small world! When I heard all the Aussie accents when we were waiting for our connecting flight at LAX I burst into tears! Hope you had a good visit too :)

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Timeline

for voting i also opted out 'forever' i sent that form (federal voting) 3 days after the voting date (but it's dated before the voting day), but my mum went to talk to them on the voting day about my situation (state voting it is, i think)

so far no fines yet.

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

A note on the voting, I opted out 'forever'. Received a fine from the Qld govt for not voting in the last election ... it went to my old address in Bris and the tenant sent it to me! Nice, now I have to call and try and sort it out. This happen to anyone else??

I also opted out "forever" and have never received a fine. Hope you sort it out!

Timeline

Not sure it's really something to be "proud of" but I am :) Today I received my first, unsecured credit card (with a decent credit limit).

My husband does not believe in credit cards so he doesn't have one (he used to work for a credit card collection company and knows how bad it can be). It meant that i didn't have anyone to "piggy back" off and I needed to build my history and score myself.

When we bought our house my lack of credit meant putting me on the mortgage = high interest rate, so I am not on the mortgage.

So after being denied a Kohl's card (I buy my jeans there :D) for no credit history, I realised I needed to start "becoming more American"... i.e. I needed credit history and a score, without it I couldn't do much. I started with a $200 limit on a secured Capital One credit card ($49 to open) that I got last year (2011) in July. I didn't use it a lot, but I used it occasionally. After a couple of months my credit score was up in the 700's but with such a short history, and with only that credit card as history, I was denied a store card again, this time for for "not enough lines of credit".

So after much research, I decided I needed to up my credit card usage to build my score higher, so I could start getting more lines of credit (much as I hate credit you "need" it here). I called Capital One about increasing my limit. They'd sent me an offer a month or so ago but with mum visiting and dad passing away i didn't have time to deal with it. They told me that I couldn't request an increase, I had to wait until they offered it to me.

So I decided ####### it, I would apply for an unsecured card with Wells Fargo, the bank I've been with since I arrived in Sept 2009.. and I was APPROVED! Turns out my score is/was 756 at the time they approved that card. It'll go up more now I start using this card. But anyway there you go, another milestone :D

Also hope this reminds you all to work on this as well, if you haven't already. You never know when you mind need a bank loan to return to Australia for an emergency, or for that new fridge when yours breaks down in the middle of summer and fridge full of food (just happened to a girl back in Aus). I hope I never need to, but its good to feel a little more secure in life here, and little more like everyone else :)

Timeline

Thats on my to-do list when I get to the US, is start figuring out how to get a credit score. starting with a secured credit card, seems to be the way to go.

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

• 2 weeks later...

I hate credit, you mean to tell me in Australia I don't to worry about credit? OMG why didn't we go there lol (I have NO credit which somehow is worse than having bad credit...I just like paying things off completely without making payments!)

I do have a car payment now which isn't bad I guess...that will help to build it too :D

How do you opt out of voting forever? Ben hasn't done anything of that sort, should we be expecting a fine? His parents haven't said anything about it.

Good news is though, we finally got his paperwork sent off! That fine is such a ###### and a half! I can't wait until he can work so he can help me out hehe (he can't wait either, its killing him to not be working!)

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Before I left Australia I picked up a form (I think from the post office) to say I was no longer a resident and asked to be removed from the electoral roll.

If Ben hasn't done that yet, he can have someone send him the form, and just fill it out and send it back.

If there's an election in the meantime, he will get a fine in the mail sent to whichever address he is registered at (hopefully that is his parents' address), but there will be a checklist on the back for reasons he didn't vote, he just has to tick "I was overseas at the time" and send it back and he'll be OK.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Here is the linkn for the form he will need to dis-enroll. This is what I did. If you ever move back all he has to do is enroll again. http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/pdf/forms/overseas/ER022Nw_0212.pdf

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

I hate credit, you mean to tell me in Australia I don't to worry about credit? OMG why didn't we go there lol (I have NO credit which somehow is worse than having bad credit...I just like paying things off completely without making payments!)

I do have a car payment now which isn't bad I guess...that will help to build it too :D

How do you opt out of voting forever? Ben hasn't done anything of that sort, should we be expecting a fine? His parents haven't said anything about it.

Good news is though, we finally got his paperwork sent off! That fine is such a ###### and a half! I can't wait until he can work so he can help me out hehe (he can't wait either, its killing him to not be working!)

Well we have credit history, and without some sort of credit history (say a phone contract) then they can't tell you're a good person to lend to. But there is no "score" in the same manner there is here. You don't NEED a credit card to help build a score. You don't need to make sure you use it often to show that you're actually using that credit. Entirely different!

Re the opting out forever, other people address that.

Congrats on filing! Should be able 60-90 days till he gets the work permit. I suggest he take the time to work on his resume (some Australia rules aren't the same as US rules), and look at jobs he might be interested in, find out what income he should expect.. stuff like that. You also might want to introduce him to what a W4 is and how to fill one out (first time someone asked me I was like... ummm?? 0 or 1??). If he has a SSN start working on his credit score as well by getting a secured card (Capital One is where I got mine). It's not really needed for working (though some places do check history), but it'll be good to get a head start on it :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

hey all

been awhile since ive been here! hope all is good with everyone.. life has been crazy here in the south... we have bought a house, been doing things like crazy around it, been working, going to college at night so havent had too much time to myself! but i thought id just pop in and say gday and try make some time to get on here.. and having no credit sucks ####### here! so when you do get over here and can start getting credit then i would be doing it otherwise getting things can be difficult...

event.png

Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Has been ages since i posted, but have been enjoying the 18 months of not having to file anything, we are leaving to go back to Australia on the 13th for six weeks, so have to have my I-751 ready to post by mother in law as date for submission will be Christmas Day.

Have it all filled out and supporting documents ready for photo copying, getting some photos done at Walmart today just sending a few as i have copies of medical bills, power bills, donations and letters and cards from friends sent here, plus two affidavits so just getting it all sorted and ready for copying then will type the Cover Letter and attach my check and put in a US Priority Post Pack all ready for Momma to mail a week before Christmas. Will mention that we are going to be visiting family back in Australia for Christmas and wont be back until January 4th just in case they try to schedule my biometrics but am doubting my application will get much attention over the holidays.

I am still unsure if you do not become an American Citizen during this 10 year period what you have to do at the end of 10 years does anybody know? As i really do not want to give up my Aussie Citizenship and am hoping that the US during this time will come to recognize dual citizenship.

Vanessa as far as i can see from the link you sent me about your submission the I-751 is done in my name and not spouse? but we submit as a join application in the cover letters?

Anyway need to get a wriggle on and get things sorted so we can get into town and use the Pastor's Photo Copier instead of running all the ink out of our printer.

Take it easy everyone and good luck with all submissions.

Cheers Kaye and Leo

Our Timeline

I-751 Removal of Conditions

Date Filed : 2013-01-08

NOA Date : 2013-01-14

RFE(s) : NA

Bio. Appt. : 2013-02-06

Interview Date : NA

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-06-27

Approved : Yes

Timeline

I am still unsure if you do not become an American Citizen during this 10 year period what you have to do at the end of 10 years does anybody know? As i really do not want to give up my Aussie Citizenship and am hoping that the US during this time will come to recognize dual citizenship.

Vanessa as far as i can see from the link you sent me about your submission the I-751 is done in my name and not spouse? but we submit as a join application in the cover letters?

First, you don't lose Aussie by becoming an American as well. The US does NOT prevent you from becoming dual, they just don't recognise you as dual. You will always only be "American" to them but that doesn't stop you having more passports/nationalities. I will be filing when the time comes, 5 months from now.

Re the ROC stuff yep :) You're filing as a "joint application" so he signs the letter, and there's also a spot on the form that he should sign as well. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751.pdf Part 7, page 3 It almost feels like you're forgetting something the form is so simple.

Also, for N-400 (filing for USC) make sure you keep a note of the dates you're outside the US because you have to put those on the form.

Congrats on filing soon and enjoy your trip home! I just had my ROC approved yesterday (through CSC) after 7 months :D

Does anyone have experience using their Medicare card when visiting Australia, after receiving their green card? My Medicare card is still valid but has my old name. Should I update it to my new name? Can I even use it any more, now that I'm not a resident?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.