Dave and Shannon

New 2011 LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

447 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am new and still trying to work my way around all these forums too! But, welcome! Such a relief to find other Aussies going through the same thing.. I'm in Perth, W.A... How about you?

Hi there..

I'm from Gippsland, VIC. Yes it very good to know that on VJ, you dont need to do everything alone. More than likely others have done their Visa Journeys and we can learn from their experiences :) Welcome to You also. Hope your Journey is smooth sailing.

Spoiler

GC Expiry - 10/27/16

ROC:
09/13/16 - Sent I-751 package to CSC
09/16/16 - USCIS received package
09/20/16 - $845 check cashed - (myself and 3 children)

09/22/16 - NOA1 hard copy. Dated 09/16/16
09/26/16- Verification of Inclusion of a Dependent in I-751 (x 3) - Dated 09/16/16

10/13/16 - Biometrics Appointment

09/25/17 - Infopass - I-551 stamp. Expiry 6/25/18

02/15/18 - Case Inquiry - Out of processing time (09/22/18) Reply due 3/10/18.

02/25/18 - Case updated to "We received your case" 

04/06/18 - Case updated to "We received your case"

04/06/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - CSC to CSC  (letter)

04/10/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - CSC to POTOMAC  (letter)

04/11/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing"

04/19/18 - Case updated to "We received your case" 

05/07/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - POTOMAC to NBC.  (letter)

05/07/18 - Case updated to "We received your case"

05/08/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing'

06/01/18 - Case Approved with N-400 Approval. 

CITIZENSHIP

08/23/17 - N-400 sent (USPS Lost package, In Transit - Delayed status)
09/11/17 - N-400 sent again via FedEX.

09/14/17 - N-400 NOA1

09/25/17 - Email Acceptance - Routed to NBC.

10/10/17 - Walk in Biometrics - Seattle.

10/18/17 - In line for Interview

05/02/18 - Interview Scheduled.

06/01/18 - Interview - APPROVED

07/04/18 - July 4th Oath Ceremony.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Everyone..

Has been some time since I have updated status.... ROC was submitted January 8th, 2013 via Vermont SC, received the fastest reply ever during the whole process on January 14th, advising that my Conditional Resident Status had been extended for 12 months pending processing of my application ie Biometrics and Interview etc. - Durthing this one year extension I am authorized employment and travel.

Biometrics appointment notice came the following week and these were done February 6th 2013 without any problems, although we had to travel to South Carolina to get them done..now the wait begins.. for our interview appointment notification,.

Has anyone else had this confusing extension of one year pending processing? Vanessa - Carebear - Bex?

Will make sure I check in a little more regularly...to say G'day

Cheers to all Kaye

Our Timeline

I-751 Removal of Conditions

Date Filed : 2013-01-08

NOA Date : 2013-01-14

RFE(s) : NA

Bio. Appt. : 2013-02-06

Interview Date : NA

Approval / Denial Date : 2013-06-27

Approved : Yes

Timeline

Hi Everyone..

Has been some time since I have updated status.... ROC was submitted January 8th, 2013 via Vermont SC, received the fastest reply ever during the whole process on January 14th, advising that my Conditional Resident Status had been extended for 12 months pending processing of my application ie Biometrics and Interview etc. - Durthing this one year extension I am authorized employment and travel.

Biometrics appointment notice came the following week and these were done February 6th 2013 without any problems, although we had to travel to South Carolina to get them done..now the wait begins.. for our interview appointment notification,.

Has anyone else had this confusing extension of one year pending processing? Vanessa - Carebear - Bex?

Will make sure I check in a little more regularly...to say G'day

Cheers to all Kaye

I'm not sure if you're asking a question but I'll post anyway :) I'm already done with ROC. I filed with CSC and it was taking 6 months at the time, 9 months for VSC.

If you are still waiting for ROC to be approved and your N-400 window opens you can file for N-400 anyway and it will push your ROC through.

If you're still waiting and your 12 months extension is about to expire, make an INFOPASS and get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

As you stated, you are still able to travel and work using the original GC (even if expired) together with the ORIGINAL ROC NOA1. It cannot be a photocopy.

Also, you won't necessarily have an interview. I didn't interview for AOS or ROC. It's quite common.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

ROC congratulations letter arrived completely out of the blue today, 3 months before I was expecting it. No interview, no RFE just a congratulations your new green has been ordered!!!

I'm absolutely over the moon :) Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much again Vanessa for all your help, it was your instructions that got me through this insanity!!

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Timeline

ROC congratulations letter arrived completely out of the blue today, 3 months before I was expecting it. No interview, no RFE just a congratulations your new green has been ordered!!!

I'm absolutely over the moon smile.png Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much again Vanessa for all your help, it was your instructions that got me through this insanity!!

Congratulations!! Soon you'll be up for N-400 as well! My interview for that is July 18 and I'm hoping to naturalise in August in Davenport (near me instead of my "local office" which is 3 hours away).

Timeline

Oh yay good luck with that :) Won't it be nice once that is finished and know that you never have to deal with the paperwork ever again lol.

I'm still in 2 minds about citizenship. I'm actually leaning more towards no but I'll think about it later in the year when the window opens :)

AOS from K1 Visa

Removal of Conditions

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

Naturalization

Timeline

Oh yay good luck with that smile.png Won't it be nice once that is finished and know that you never have to deal with the paperwork ever again lol.

I'm still in 2 minds about citizenship. I'm actually leaning more towards no but I'll think about it later in the year when the window opens smile.png

There's a few reasons that I'm naturalising but the main ones are:

1. Finally being done with USCIS

2. Having the same rights as everyone else (especially employment right now, there's some jobs I'm qual'd for that I can't do as an LPR)

3. Having the same citizenship as my husband

4. Having the same citizenship as our children (if/when the time comes)

5. If something happens back home (I only have a few family members left) I can leave and stay for however long I need and immigration isn't a concern; and

6. I can collect social security benefits if living overseas.

The negative for me are just 2 right now:

1. Having to file taxes on worldwide income (Income in Australia is higher so I have no doubt it would be over the $90K threshold of "don't need to pay tax"); and

2. Honestly, not many Aussies I know have the best opinions about American's. Tourist American's are great, but American's living in America.. the stereotype, the generalisation.. isn't a good one and I know some people are going to be mean about me being "one of them".

Timeline

Those are all very valid points. When my step-daughter is 18 we were considering going back down under for a while. If I got citizenship then that would solidify my status for coming back and forth. My youngest will have dual so I'm not too stressed there.

A bolt from the blue this morning though when my husband lost his job. 9 years and wow don't come Monday :( I'm scrambling a little emotionally right now. Will bounce back but just wow!

AOS from K1 Visa

Removal of Conditions

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

Naturalization

Timeline

Those are all very valid points. When my step-daughter is 18 we were considering going back down under for a while. If I got citizenship then that would solidify my status for coming back and forth. My youngest will have dual so I'm not too stressed there.

A bolt from the blue this morning though when my husband lost his job. 9 years and wow don't come Monday sad.png I'm scrambling a little emotionally right now. Will bounce back but just wow!

I really am sorry you guys are going through something so stressful! My husband and I lost our jobs at the same time a few years ago but I wasn't eligible for unemployment (i was a temp) and he was denied because the company decided to lie about why he didn't work there anymore... those were a tough 3 months BUT we made it so I'm sure you'll be just fine :) That actually reminds me of another plus for citizenship, access to benefits without fear of the I-864. If we're ever in that situation again we'd be able to use benefits without concern.

Did they lay off a bunch of people? Company going bankrupt? Does he get severance etc? With that sort of time and experience at one company I'm sure he'll have no problem finding something else but that doesn't help with the stress.

The 2 jobs I've found here I found through employment agencies and I also used www.indeed.com to look for work. Hope that helps. Stay strong!

Timeline

Thanks Vanessa. I'm not eligible for unemployment anyway as I've been doing some freelance self-employed since I got here. When I got my first green card I was 5 months pregnant so no-one really wanted to employ the preggers foreign chick lol. He can apply for unemployment next week - apparently there's a 3 business day stand down. The loss of the medical insurance is scary with 2 kids so he started the enrollment procedure with Medicaid yesterday for them. Already had one row with their office because they wanted to add me. He tried to explain about why they can't and the I-184 but they don't get it. Just grrrrrrr!

Even worse is the timing. My sister is getting married at the end of September on the Gold Coast and we have flights booked to go there. Still saving up for the rest of the costs. Getting a new job and then having to take vacay time - just ugh!

The company he worked for is huge but the division he was working in experienced a downturn in work. 29 of them lost their jobs yesterday. He gets his 2 weeks pay he'd just worked and a small severance. It will be enough to cover our rent for a month and that's it. Will just have to take it from there after that. It's scary and we kind of know what we're going to do but the loss of that stability is a worry.

Sorry for the long post - just have a swirling mind today :) Thanks for the thoughts.

AOS from K1 Visa

Removal of Conditions

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

Naturalization

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have some very exciting news (for me anyway biggrin.gif)... Last night mum admitted she's been working overtime to save to come and visit (which is why I've been having trouble catching her on the phone) as a surprise and just this week she finally has enough biggrin.gif So she's looking at coming in August for my birthday biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif She's going to keep saving so she has a little spending money (not a lot 'cause the ticket is gunna cost around $2K with insurance). I'm VERY excited!! I arrived in Sept 2009, and went home in Sept 2010 (back to US in Nov 2010) and haven't seen her since. She's NEVER met Tony in person (only online), she's never seen our house in person, she's never met her granddaughters (my 2 puppies biggrin.gif). She's only ever been to NZ, never had such a long flight so I'll be writing a LONG "how to" including pictures for her (she'll POE at LAX). I'm also going to make sure she has her phone able to call me if she has any issues or even just to call and let me know she got through POE.

I'm not too worried about POE honestly, she has a mortgage, she'll have a new granddaughter (her first grandchild and actual human granddaughter biggrin.gif) and she'll have the contract or whatever it's call for Dad being in a nursing home. I'm thinking she should also get letters from her bosses (she has 2 jobs) but I don't think they're the end of the world. She's a little concerned about her HRT and arthritis pain meds so she's gunna see a doc about a letter saying she's on pain pills for a medical condition.

It's very exciting!! I'm sure she's nervous 'cause wow, first trip to the US, first trip that's required a passport so she's getting that done too (when she went to NZ it was in the 70's so no passport required).

Anyway... YAY!! Very excited. In fact I still get teary thinking about it biggrin.gif

Awesome News Vanessa.. a tip when your Mum books her flight, my Mother Did this and said it was awesome.. request "ASSISTANCE" they will pick her up at check in in a wheelchair, take her to and through Airport Security {my Mum said they went to head of the line and sailed through] then take her to departure lounge, and take her down the gangway to the plane for her to board, when she gets off in LAX their will be somebody with a wheelchair to take her from plane down to Immigration get her bags for her and go through Customs - as in wheelchair they get priority treatment, then help her put her bag on transfer conveyor belt for domestic flight and take her to her connecting flight departure lounge, My Mum was 80 when she did all this and her travel agent made sure she had 'ASSISTANCE' for all flights, My Mum is well seasoned traveller, but this was first time she travelled since my Dad passed in 2010.. she said it was the bee's knees!!

Other great news.. we have been away for a couple of days visiting friends for the 4th July, opened the mail box and saw an Envelope Marked Department of Homeland Security, said to Leo well looks like we finally got the Notice advising when Interview down in Memphis would be for I-751 when i Opened the envelope, to my surprise was NO SUCH THING!!.. Started reading and this is what i saw

"Congratulations!!! Your request for the removal of the conditional basis of your permanent resident status has been approved. You are deemed to be a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States as of the date of your original admission or adjustment of Status.. You should receive a new Permanent Residebnt Car, For, I-551 (green card0, within 60 days!!!"

So WoooooooHooooooooooo and Yipppppppppppeeeeeeeee no 8 hour drive to Memphis plus overnight in a motel for another interview... now to start studying for American Citizenship Test Am not going through anymore of this, Australia recognizes Dual Citizenship so will be an Australian/American Citizen lolol...

Hugggggggz Kaye

Our Timeline

Timeline

Awesome News Vanessa.. a tip when your Mum books her flight, my Mother Did this and said it was awesome.. request "ASSISTANCE" they will pick her up at check in in a wheelchair, take her to and through Airport Security {my Mum said they went to head of the line and sailed through] then take her to departure lounge, and take her down the gangway to the plane for her to board, when she gets off in LAX their will be somebody with a wheelchair to take her from plane down to Immigration get her bags for her and go through Customs - as in wheelchair they get priority treatment, then help her put her bag on transfer conveyor belt for domestic flight and take her to her connecting flight departure lounge, My Mum was 80 when she did all this and her travel agent made sure she had 'ASSISTANCE' for all flights, My Mum is well seasoned traveller, but this was first time she travelled since my Dad passed in 2010.. she said it was the bee's knees!!

Other great news.. we have been away for a couple of days visiting friends for the 4th July, opened the mail box and saw an Envelope Marked Department of Homeland Security, said to Leo well looks like we finally got the Notice advising when Interview down in Memphis would be for I-751 when i Opened the envelope, to my surprise was NO SUCH THING!!.. Started reading and this is what i saw

"Congratulations!!! Your request for the removal of the conditional basis of your permanent resident status has been approved. You are deemed to be a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States as of the date of your original admission or adjustment of Status.. You should receive a new Permanent Resident Card Form, I-551 (green card) within 60 days!!!"

We submitted Form I-751 on January 8th 2013, Receipt Acknowledged January 14th and Conditional Residence Extended for 1 year pending processing of I-751. Biometrics Appointment Notice Sent January 21st and Biometrics Completed February 6th, 2013.. so all in all has taken just over 5 months, which is a lot quicker than the original 7 to 9 months quoted on the website..

So WoooooooHooooooooooo and Yipppppppppppeeeeeeeee no 8 hour drive to Memphis plus overnight in a motel for another interview... now to start studying for American Citizenship Test perhaps next year.. Am not going through this process in another 10 years and as Australia recognizes Dual Citizenship i thought why not . I keep telling my American friends I will be an Australian/American Citizen eventually lolol...

Hugggggggz Kaye

Our Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.