Ryan76

down side to front loading K-1 petition??

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had started another topic and I was asking questions about the best way to put together the folders/documents for my front-loaded K-1. I want to include the necessary items for the I129F packet, as well as a folder/packet for proof of ongoing relationship.

Someone came into the thread and recommended NOT front loading, and now I'm beginning to second guess myself.

My fiance lives in Bogota, Colombia...whether or not that matters I'm not sure. I had been under the impression that front loading could only help.

What are your thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I had started another topic and I was asking questions about the best way to put together the folders/documents for my front-loaded K-1. I want to include the necessary items for the I129F packet, as well as a folder/packet for proof of ongoing relationship.

Someone came into the thread and recommended NOT front loading, and now I'm beginning to second guess myself.

My fiance lives in Bogota, Colombia...whether or not that matters I'm not sure. I had been under the impression that front loading could only help.

What are your thoughts?

What is front loading?

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: Timeline

Front loading is putting evidence in the I-129F petition to be used later at the K-1 interview at the local consulate/embassy. The theory is that anything sent to the USCIS with the I-129F will be forwarded to the NVC, and then on to the embassy or consulate that will be conducting the visa interview with the beneficiary.

The downside is that too much extraneous material may cause your relevant evidence to be overlooked, or omitted.

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

I DID front Loading during the process my REFS were not for evidence just mistakes i made in forms during the process

I got all my front loading documents at the interview the consul was funny telling my wife that she never saw so much documents for a interview

I belive she they ask my wife a total of 4 or 5 questions and return all documents .

They give us so much documents back that i end up destroying must of them right there in the embassy because i didnt had a place to store them

and for my surprise

I even saw my first documents that were send to USCIS en California .

About the Bogota part is great you are going to save money on airfare and hotels .

all the best for you 2

Timeline

Thanks for the great responses. I will post a few replies/concerns this evening when I get off work. I'm wondering if I should duplicate my original post in the Latin America / Colombia forums to get some more opinions specifically about the embassy in Colombia.

Thanks again!!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

It depends very much on the consulate, and what evidence you frontload.

When a consulate denies a visa and returns a petition they are asking USCIS to revoke the approval, essentially saying that the petition never should have been approved. They have only two valid basis for making this request. The first is that they have discovered evidence which they believe would have resulted in the petition being denied if USCIS had known about it. The second is that they have discovered something that USCIS should have noticed, and that they believe USCIS clearly erred when they approved the petition. The second reason is unusual, but USCIS does occasionally make mistakes. The first reason is the most common.

Consular officers sometimes have to resort to dirty tricks in order to conjure up a reason to deny a visa, especially in high fraud countries. They usually do this when they have a strong suspicion that something isn't right about the relationship. When they intend on denying then they will sometimes cite reasons which may actually not be true. For example, the consulate in Saigon expects an engaged couple to have had a traditional Vietnamese engagement ceremony (see my avatar), and they impose some reasonably strict expectations on that requirement, which includes a celebration involving guests that number in the hundreds. It's very easy for a consular officer in Saigon to cite the engagement ceremony as a reason for denying the visa, claiming that this is a violation of longstanding local tradition and customs. In fact, the consular officer may not have even asked for evidence that they had an engagement ceremony, or may have even refused to accept the evidence if the beneficiary offered it.

This is where frontloading comes in.

A consular officer cannot deny the existence of evidence if it was included with the petition. For example, a consular officer in Saigon can't say that a couple never had an engagement ceremony if the petitioner included pictures of the ceremony and celebration with the petition, and specifically labeled the pictures as such. The consular officer also couldn't claim that the celebration was too small to satisfy tradition and customs if one of the pictures clearly shows a banquet hall filled with more than 100 people.

Occasionally, a consular officer will deny on a basis for which evidence to counter the CO's claim was frontloaded with the petition. In these cases the CO usually just didn't see the evidence before issuing the denial. If USCIS actually readjudicates a returned petition in this case then they'll almost always reaffirm the approval and send the petition back to the consulate.

Frontloading can be very useful if:

1. You specifically know what sort of things are cited as reasons for denial at your consulate.

2. You know what aspects of your own case might be considered red flags at your consulate.

3. Your frontloaded evidence proves you've met local customary requirements, or it addresses specific red flags in your case.

On the other hand, if you just start loading up your petition with all of the evidence you've got then you're setting your fiancee up for a difficult interview. For example, if you include 100 pages of chat logs then you've given the consular officer LOTS of evidence the consular officer can use to grill your fiancee.

Consular Officer: On February 14th of 2009 you thanked your fiance for the Valentines Day gift. What exactly was the gift, and what exactly did your fiance say in response?

Would her memory be good enough to know exactly what you said on that day? The CO has the answer in front of him in black and white, so he'll know if her answer is correct.

Frontloaded evidence should either help support your case or specifically address red flags, but it's crucial that your fiancee know in detail everything you've frontloaded. In many cases, a consular officer will ask a question not knowing the precise correct answer - they just want to know if the beneficiary has a credible answer. Almost any believable answer is better than "I don't know". In the case of frontloaded evidence, you've given the consular officer the correct answers, so your fiancee had better know them.

Hi Jim,

A bit off topic, do items you submit at the K1 stage stay in the case file through US citizenship? And does USCIS review the old evidence at each stage?

The reason I ask is that at both AOS and ROC we provided very little evidence. For instance at ROC we sent one utility bill, the front page of a single bank statement, an insurance statement, lease, and two signed statements. Most if not all was the last 2-3 months prior to filing.

I fully expected an RFE but instead we were approved extremely quickly - within about 60 days.

Now our K1 evidence looked more like ROC evidence honestly. We had a shared residence in the UK, so I submitted all of that - combined UK lease, combined utilities and council taxes etc. I have been wondering if the old K1 evidence helped at the later stages.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Jim,

A bit off topic, do items you submit at the K1 stage stay in the case file through US citizenship? And does USCIS review the old evidence at each stage?

The reason I ask is that at both AOS and ROC we provided very little evidence. For instance at ROC we sent one utility bill, the front page of a single bank statement, an insurance statement, lease, and two signed statements. Most if not all was the last 2-3 months prior to filing.

I fully expected an RFE but instead we were approved extremely quickly - within about 60 days.

Now our K1 evidence looked more like ROC evidence honestly. We had a shared residence in the UK, so I submitted all of that - combined UK lease, combined utilities and council taxes etc. I have been wondering if the old K1 evidence helped at the later stages.

Computerized records maintained in the various systems are retained for a period of time determined by policy for each system. For example, records in the VIS system (mostly having to do with verification of citizenship) are stored for 10 years, which coincides with the statute of limitations for fraudulent or misuse of documents related to citizenship, naturalization, or US passports.

Paper records are sent to the National Record Center for long-term storage of inactive files. A service center or field office can request a file be pulled if it becomes active again; e.g., a new petition is filed. I don't believe files in the National Record Center are ever destroyed. People routinely request documents from the NRC (via FOIA requests) about dead relatives while doing genealogy research. They've got naturalization files going back to 1906, and immigrant visa files going back to 1924.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

"Consular Officer: On February 14th of 2009 you thanked your fiance for the Valentines Day gift. What exactly was the gift, and what exactly did your fiance say in response?"

To me, these types of questions seem ridiculous. For example, I was thinking about using moneygram receipts as proof of ongoing relationship. The first time I sent her Money was in November of 2009 (her birthday) and she bought shoes for work. I honestly have no idea what her "exact response" was. I mean, i remember she thanked me and said she was happy to have new shoes, but I do not recall her "Exact" response as written in a letter. I mean, it's almost like they expect you to have a 100% memory (or photographic memory). We've exchanged hundreds of letters and I'd like to send half a dozen or so as "proof" of our relationship, but I don't have everyone of them memorized and I'm sure she doesn't either. Will they give you a little leeway and understand that we can't possibly remember everything we've said/written to each other over the course of a 2+ year relationship?

I realize that alot of people attempt fraud.....but do these people have multiple plain tickets to and from their fiances country, dozens of fotos, phone records of calls made on a daily basis, etc?? I can't think of petitioner who would "fake" a relationship yet still call the beneficiary 3 times a day and visit her for multi-week vacations every 7 months.

Filed: Timeline

"Consular Officer: On February 14th of 2009 you thanked your fiance for the Valentines Day gift. What exactly was the gift, and what exactly did your fiance say in response?"

To me, these types of questions seem ridiculous. For example, I was thinking about using moneygram receipts as proof of ongoing relationship. The first time I sent her Money was in November of 2009 (her birthday) and she bought shoes for work. I honestly have no idea what her "exact response" was. I mean, i remember she thanked me and said she was happy to have new shoes, but I do not recall her "Exact" response as written in a letter. I mean, it's almost like they expect you to have a 100% memory (or photographic memory). We've exchanged hundreds of letters and I'd like to send half a dozen or so as "proof" of our relationship, but I don't have everyone of them memorized and I'm sure she doesn't either. Will they give you a little leeway and understand that we can't possibly remember everything we've said/written to each other over the course of a 2+ year relationship?

Think of a set of two scales. One scale says "bona fide" relationship. The other says "fraud". If nothing is on the fraud scale, and nothing is on the bona fide scale, you still don't get an approval. You have to get something on the bona fide scale. The applicant doesn't have to know everything about the beneficiary, but the applicant does have to know somethings about the beneficiary.

What the applicant should do is say, "I don't know," if they honestly don't know. Sometimes the CO may try to trip up an applicant by asking something out of the blue that the applicant couldn't possibly know, just to catch the applicant in a lie, to look for a "tell", in poker terms.

I realize that alot of people attempt fraud.....but do these people have multiple plain tickets to and from their fiances country, dozens of fotos, phone records of calls made on a daily basis, etc?? I can't think of petitioner who would "fake" a relationship yet still call the beneficiary 3 times a day and visit her for multi-week vacations every 7 months.

Yes.

Edited by Crusty Old Perv

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is why you must be careful what evidence you frontload, and also why the beneficiary must be intimately familiar with any evidence they hand over to the consular officer. They're providing the consular officer with the answers to many potential questions, so the beneficiary must know those answers, as well.

I would never recommend that a beneficiary hand over two hundred pages of chat transcripts, for example. That would be comparable to handing them an encyclopedia and daring them to quiz you on it's contents. By all means, bring an impressive stack of papers as evidence. If you're asked for chat transcripts then hand them a carefully cherry picked selection that helps make your case of a bona fide relationship, and that you've already read over thoroughly. If you hand the whole stack to the CO then he or she is going to pick a few pages at random, and there's a reasonable chance the pages they pick are going to be boring conversations, or worse... you and your fiance practicing for the interview. If you choose the evidence you give them then you'll know that any page they select to read is going to be a good one.

This doesn't mean they won't get information from other sources. For example, some consulates have been known to get a Lexis Nexis report on the petitioner, and then pull info from the report to question the beneficiary.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

• 4 months later...

Hi people. I was wondering about this front-loading business. I didn't know about it at the time that I filed my I-129F, but I sure am glad I sent something. I sent in 4 email threads, they each have like 4-5 emails, most short and sweet. I sure hope this enough to prove our relationship at this stage, as we haven't received our NOA2 yet. I've read that this is absolutely crucial for the interview at the Guayaquil Consulate, and I'm glad I sent in that info, along with 4 photographs, receipts, hotel bills, passport stamps and boarding passes. I sure hope it's enough for the interview, and I of course plan on bringing a lot more evidence to the interview...

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

12/5/11 - Mailed I-129F

12/9/11 - Received NOA1

12/21/11 - Last updated by USCIS

Still waiting....

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Hi people. I was wondering about this front-loading business.
Jim's words here about front-loading need to be enshrined in the pantheon of all-time VJ posts, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.