Ryan H

My EP experience

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Now that I have my case number, I am starting this thread that will detail my EP experience with the NVC. I do so for the benefit of those who will follow me and would like to see a quick reference of what to do and what to expect.

After I got my case number from the operator, I also asked for and received my IIN (invoice identification number). Once I had those two numbers, I confirmed with the operator that my AOS (Affidavit of Support) invoice would be emailed to me. I will send the actual OPTIN email to have the case converted from paper to electronic after I receive this invoice in my inbox. Now, you are able to send that OPTIN email once you have the GUZ case number, however, due to problems people have experienced sending in the OPTIN email prior to receiving the AOS invoice, I have made the decision to wait for the invoice in my inbox prior to sending the OPTIN email.

Of note:

• When I was speaking with the operator in receiving my case number, the operator confirmed my email address and asked for my wife's email, I gave it to him; the only thing I would suggest is to tell your spouse that you will be telling the NVC their email address so they are not caught off guard when they start receiving emails from the NVC.
  • In case you don't already know, you will be initially assigned a GUZ number followed by a set of number, when your case is converted from paper to electronic, the case number will change to GZO and have a new set of numbers.
Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

DS-230 no longer used; replaced by online form DS-260. Everything else still applies

Some things you can do while waiting for the NOA2 from USCIS or a case number from the NVC to prepare for EP:

Order tax transcripts from the IRS, they will be needed for the AOS package (you have the option of using return forms and accompany documents such as W2's, however, transcripts are easier to deal with, I opted to use the tax return and W2 form for the most recent year and transcripts for the previous two years)

Have your boss or your employer's HR manager write an employment verification letter stating your job title, pay rate, and time you have been with the company. If you are self-employed, the I-864 will instruct you on what you need to submit.

Organize your pay stubs; the most recent one showing the year to date should be sufficient for submission. I made the choice to submit the ones I have in my possession for this calendar year.

Fill in the DS-230, scan it, and email it to your spouse. When the NOA2 comes, have your spouse print, sign, and date the DS-230; plus your spouse will need to hand write the areas where it asks for Chinese characters. Your spouse will scan the signed DS-230 and email it back to you. You can also mail the printed DS-230 for your spouse to sign and mail back to you. Do the same thing with the DS-3032.

Start creating your AOS and DS-230 packages by scanning all appropriate material (transcripts, civil documents, forms etc).

By doing all of this ahead of time, when the actual time comes to email the appropriate package (when the bill is paid). Most of your work will be done. For both AOS and DS-230 packages, you will need to compress your file so it is under 10MB.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ryan:

This is GREAT! Your schedule is ahead of mine by about 30 days (I just stated waiting for NVC. :angry: This 'cookbook' is just what I need, and it will serve countless others!

A couple of questions come to mind:

1) Since in must cases, the DS-3032 will designate the US Spouse as 'Agent', why do they need the other spouses email? I thought 'Agent' meant you designate who would receive everything?

2) Regarding the 10MB limit for AOS and DS-230 packages, is it possible/ok to split them into 2 emails if needed?

Thanks,

Heather :luv:

Ryan:

This is GREAT! Your schedule is ahead of mine by about 30 days (I just stated waiting for NVC. :angry: This 'cookbook' is just what I need, and it will serve countless others!

A couple of questions come to mind:

1) Since in must cases, the DS-3032 will designate the US Spouse as 'Agent', why do they need the other spouses email? I thought 'Agent' meant you designate who would receive everything?

2) Regarding the 10MB limit for AOS and DS-230 packages, is it possible/ok to split them into 2 emails if needed?

Thanks,

Heather :luv:

1. The DS-3032 is really only applicable if you DON'T give both email addresses. That way, only the USC gets the mail, instead of the beneficiary waiting forever in the foreign country. But if you give your email addresses over, the DS-3032 is kind of irrelevant as both the petitioner and beneficiary get all emails.

2. I would suggest NOT splitting the emails. You should only send the AOS in one file and the IV in only one file, in two separate emails. If you have Adobe Acrobat, there's a handy feature where it will compress the file for you. Originally, my AOS package was like 21 MB. After compressed, went down to 8 MB.

Timeline

I want everything to come ONLY to me So, to be clear, are you suggesting that I give ONLY my email when calling (will they accept that?), and then attach the DS-3032 with the OPTIN email?

Thanks,

Heather

1. The DS-3032 is really only applicable if you DON'T give both email addresses. That way, only the USC gets the mail, instead of the beneficiary waiting forever in the foreign country. But if you give your email addresses over, the DS-3032 is kind of irrelevant as both the petitioner and beneficiary get all emails.

I want everything to come ONLY to me So, to be clear, are you suggesting that I give ONLY my email when calling (will they accept that?), and then attach the DS-3032 with the OPTIN email?

Thanks,

Heather

Are you the petitioner or beneficiary?

Petitioner/USC.

THANKS,

Heather

Well, it's supposed to be the beneficiary that sends the DS-3032, and I believe NVC needs to have the beneficiary's email address on file, otherwise they might not recognize the email address, but I'm not sure. I'm using logic here, but a lot of this process isn't logical, so...

Is there a reason why you don't want the beneficiary to receive anything? They can just ignore the emails they receive. Because the only way I can think of the beneficiary not receiving anything is if you don't give either email addresses, then have the beneficiary MAIL the DS-3032 to NVC electing you as agent, then you wait for all letters from NVC by MAIL. This way, the beneficiary wouldn't receive anything. But it would cost you weeks. And without giving your email addresses, then I don't think you'd be able to do EP.

Of course, I'm not 100% sure with what I said above, I'm just using logic here.

Edited by Saylin

Timeline

I just didn't want him confused and maybe send a duplicate by accident. Sometimes, he doesn't listen! :bonk: I just thought it was illogical (what else is new) that an agent is appointed and then they continue to send to both. But, unless someone tells me there's a way to do that (with EP), then I'll just give both.

Thanks,

Heather

I just didn't want him confused and maybe send a duplicate by accident. Sometimes, he doesn't listen! :bonk: I just thought it was illogical (what else is new) that an agent is appointed and then they continue to send to both. But, unless someone tells me there's a way to do that (with EP), then I'll just give both.

Thanks,

Heather

Well, you can always create an email address account that you can give to NVC as the beneficiary's. Then send the optin and DS-3032 from that email. Then once you're done with this immigration journey, you can just close the email account.

Timeline

It is no longer necessary to send an ENROLL email to convert your case from paper to electronic. Once you have your GUZ number (and have paid the applicable bill), scan and email your documents. Once the NVC receives scanned documents, they will automatically convert the case from paper to electronic and issue a GZO number. Once the GZO number is issued, use it from then on out for the remainder of the process.

DS-3032 no longer used, replaced by online form DS-261. When sending email to convert case, use the term "ENROLL" instead of OPTIN. Additionally, now the the DS-261 is used, there are no forms to scan and attach to the email to enroll in electronic processing. Everything else below still applies.

One day after receiving my case number, the AOS bill is invoiced and I recieved the AOS invoice in my inbox. For good measure, I went to the payment and was successfully able to sign into it.

When you compose your OPTIN email, the first thing you should do is attach the DS-3032 singed by your spouse. I was so focused on the subject line and the body of the message that in I sent the first OPTIN email, I FORGOT TO ATTACH THE DS-3032. :bonk::oops: I realized this about 15 minutes later and resent the OPTIN email, If there are any delays or other adverse affects because of this, it will be self-inflicted. So I will say it again, attach the singed DS-3032 by your spouse FIRST when composing the OPTIN email before doing anything else.

The OPTIN email can be sent by the petitioner from the petitioner's email address.

After you attach the DS-3032, you will compose your OPTIN email to NVCElectronic@state.gov

This must be the subject line: OPTIN GUZ##########

In the body of the email you will list:
Petitioner's email address
Beneficiary's email address
Petitioner's name
Beneficiary's name
Petitioner's date of birth
Beneficiary's date of birth

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

Timeline

Ryan, your on top of this, i was not this involved here during my K1 process, but see the benefits now. 4 months and waiting on AOS since acknowledgement.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

When filling out the DS-3032 to attach to OPTIN Email, do you still put the physical address on it, or leave those fields blank or N/A?

Put your address on it. I have a PO Box so that's what I listed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.