Hi everyone,

I had posted a question pertaining to this situation earlier, but the matter

has gotten more complicated since.

I have finished gathering all of my I-129F documents and in double-checking

my I-129F form I ran into issues with question 10. I was born in Latin America

to U.S. citizen parents. They registered me in the US embassy within a week

of birth and I obtained my US passport within that first year. I subsequently

obtained my SSN. I have now been in the US for 9 years and have never had

issues with anyone questioning my citizenship.

Since I obtained citizenship through my parents, I checked that box in question 10.

Now, I do not have a certificate of citizenship, since I have never needed one, and the

process of obtaining one is not only costly, but also time-consuming.

I know this is not your typical case, but does anyone no if by checking "parents" and

then "no" in the certificate of citizenship follow-up question, that I'll be ok? I'm

submitting a copy of my passport, as required in the package.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm trying to think of what certificate of US citizenship would look like. I was born and raised in the US to parents born and raised here. What do I have?

Birth Certificate (which shows where I was born, and to whom, etc)

Social Security Card

Pass Port

Drivers License.

Those are my primaryf forms of documentation - I don't have any "certificate of US citizenship" however. Do you have a birth cert and what does it say on it?

Edited by CoffeeMuse

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

I will think that if you were basically register and became a citizen so little all you will need is your birth certificate..the certificate you need it if you did the whole process to become a citizen or so I believe..I will try to get my birth certificate and see what it says..

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I had posted a question pertaining to this situation earlier, but the matter

has gotten more complicated since.

I have finished gathering all of my I-129F documents and in double-checking

my I-129F form I ran into issues with question 10. I was born in Latin America

to U.S. citizen parents. They registered me in the US embassy within a week

of birth and I obtained my US passport within that first year. I subsequently

obtained my SSN. I have now been in the US for 9 years and have never had

issues with anyone questioning my citizenship.

Since I obtained citizenship through my parents, I checked that box in question 10.

Now, I do not have a certificate of citizenship, since I have never needed one, and the

process of obtaining one is not only costly, but also time-consuming.

I know this is not your typical case, but does anyone no if by checking "parents" and

then "no" in the certificate of citizenship follow-up question, that I'll be ok? I'm

submitting a copy of my passport, as required in the package.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

Just answer parents and no. Then use your US passport as proof of citizenship. Simple stuff. No need to make complicated.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline

About 280 million US citizens do not have a Certificate of Citizenship. It has only one function, really, to get the very first passport. Once that's been issued, the US passport serves as proof of citizenship.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

About 280 million US citizens do not have a Certificate of Citizenship. It has only one function, really, to get the very first passport. Once that's been issued, the US passport serves as proof of citizenship.

Thank you for all the replies and advice! Very helpful.

One last question though, just contemplating all options. Neither of my parents

were born in the US. My father became a US citizen when he was 7 after immigrating

from Cuba and my mother became a US citizen when she married him. Any potential

red flags?

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Just answer parents and no. Then use your US passport as proof of citizenship. Simple stuff. No need to make complicated.

How did this work out for people?

I was concerned because in the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) form there is a question that asks you if you are not a US citizen by birth to check one of a few options, one of those options says:

"If a U.S. Citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give Certificate of Citizenship number"

This is the option that applies to my (I'm a US citizen through parents) situation, but I don't know the citizenship number because I've never got a Certificate of Citizenship - my US passport has been sufficient proof of citizenship for everything before. Is it ok if I just leave this blank?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for all the replies and advice! Very helpful.

One last question though, just contemplating all options. Neither of my parents

were born in the US. My father became a US citizen when he was 7 after immigrating

from Cuba and my mother became a US citizen when she married him. Any potential

red flags?

No red flags there.

How did this work out for people?

I was concerned because in the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) form there is a question that asks you if you are not a US citizen by birth to check one of a few options, one of those options says:

"If a U.S. Citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give Certificate of Citizenship number"

This is the option that applies to my (I'm a US citizen through parents) situation, but I don't know the citizenship number because I've never got a Certificate of Citizenship - my US passport has been sufficient proof of citizenship for everything before. Is it ok if I just leave this blank?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It works out fine. Type "NONE" in the space alloted for the certificate number. As the petitioner with an approved petition, your citizenship is no longer in question by the time the I-134 is needed.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.