markordj

tough new start in the US

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
Good luck Mark, dont lose hope.

Like you I am currently in a position that has absolutely nothing to do with what I was originally trained to do. I guess I just feel lucky to have a job at all given the levels of unemployment that exist in Florida. Still....some days as I am heading out to work, it gets me down. I am under utilized, working in a job that presents no real challenge to me at all and I feel like my brain is turning into a pile of jello.

But.

I kind of knew that coming here meant starting again. From the bottom and working back up and I mentally prepared myself for this.

You have come to the US at a time of great economical instability and joblessness. Think of it this way.

The only way is up.

Keep your chin up, hoping things get better for you soon.

ya i told myself before coming here that's it's not the best time to be looking for a job in the US so i've prepared myself mentally that i might be looking for about 6 months for an engineering job. what i didn't expect was that i thought getting any full time odd jobs will not be hard. the reality is most are part time jobs. i have to get 2 jobs where 1 will be over cause it's just seasonal. my wife's boss told her to go home early when the shop is quiet while she is not getting many hours in the first place.

we just have to keep at it and be grateful of many blessings that we have now.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Hi markordj! Stay strong and keep up the perseverance. I actually spent some time working in Dallas (at the old Nortel Building off of 75; out of business now). I am sure you know already how big the Dallas metroplex is. If you are willing to handle the traffic have you considered moving around any to find parts of the city that may have good job opportunities and lower cost of living? Up 75 past the G.Bush towards McKinney has a lower cost of living but is still close to things. Maybe also consider taking some classes at UTD or another college part time. That can help refocus things and potentially lead to better job opportunity (My fiance from Singapore many years ago ran into the same type of situations).

thanks for your support.

we live in northern edge of plano. independence & 121. didn't realize how far that is from downtown dallas, but it's a nice apartment and neighborhood. we pay $522 a month for a 1 bedroom so it's not a bad deal.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
she did live & worked in singapore before she met me. based on our experience in the US (I went to high school & college in the US), we just like it better here. You can find almost whatever they have in singapore in the US, but there are a lot of things in the US that you can't find in singapore legally (eg. chewing gum).

Did they revoke the gum thingie?

I lived there all of 2004 - and if you wanted gum - you had to go to the pharmacist, sign your name in a book - the law passed in 2003, IIRC.

Now, spitting chewing gum on the streets was still a fine-able offense, you betcha.

As to 'finding work' - if you search on my username here WITH toastmasters - ie

+Darnell +toastmasters

in the expanded search thingie (select 'show posts' in lower right corner)

you'll see 4 to 5 longish writeups that I've done here with advice on finding work.

I miss Singapore Food, much - did you bring any coffee socks ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Alrighty - have time to make a longish post here.

I missed one part (I tried re-reading yer prior posts, though) -

Did you get Bachelors Degree in Engineering from USA UNI ? IF SO - you can contact the job placement / recruitment office and start looking for jobs there (most likely online with the uni's web portal).

There are professional engineering organizations that hold MONTHLY CHAPTER MEETINGS in your area. Find them, go. You can go there, have some social networking (face to face) without paying a meeting fee (or a small meeting fee). IMO, it's the best type of meeting to go to. will usually bypass the HR department if you can find someone at a chapter meeting that 1) likes you and 2) can use you in their department.

I had mentioned toastmasters from my prior posts - but - what you are looking for are toastmaster guilds that MEET INSIDE of an engineering company. see http://www.toastmasters.org and review the guilds in your area.

The State of Texas hires Engineers 'of your type' - usually to oversee construction jobs - is not easy to find them or even get yer resume in the queue. For the 'higher end' gigs, you'll need a Professional Engineers certificate from the State of Texas, as well.

Pay Particular attention to how the stimulus funds are being spent, and where. These 'boots on the ground' projects require engineers of your type - so if you follow the disbursements (which is publicly avail info, btw) then you can learn which companies are actually doing the work, or have work coming up in the nearish future.

Hang out at the various Chamber of Commerce events - should be about 11 different CofCs in yer area. Social Networking stuff for you, there. It also is a good thing if you can volunteer for a CofC event - you get some brownie points, and ppl start to know of you, know yer name.

Dig around in www.meetup.com and find events in your area. You should be able to do 'social networking' at any of these events, make contacts.

Some larger churches have 'find a job' networking events, also. Don't have to be a member at all, to go.

re: headhunters and contract job shops - yikes. That resume must stand out - so get someone local with current info to redo yer resume. a CV format from Singapore (I've seen a few thousand ) ain't the same, doesn't read the same...

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I understand the situation you are in markordj. I also have a engineering degree and have applied for a lot of jobs, but never hear from them. I don't have much experience as I just graduated, but I have had an internship and it is better than what most college graduates have. I am ready to work anything even if it is not a high paid job, just so we can pay our bills, which we currently can't do.

12/21/2009 Package mailed

12/23/2009 Package received

01/04/2010 All 3 NOA received dated 12/30

01/14/2010 Applied for expedite, I-130 and I-765 touched

01/30/2010 Received Biometrics appointment scheduled for 02/23/2010

02/02/2010 Walked in and did biometrics

02/03/2010 Touched I-765 and I-485

02/19/2010 EAD Card production ordered

02/26/2010 Received interview appointment letter for 03/29

02/27/2010 EAD arrived in mail (Day 51)

03/03/2010 Filed for change in address

03/08/2010 Received change in address confirmation

03/29/2010 INTERVIEW AT 9:30AM - APPROVED (Day 81)

03/31/2010 Card production ordered. YEY!

04/24/2010 Card received after all the trouble!

01/03/2012 Filed I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

01/11/2012 Received Notice of Action Dated 01/06/2012

This is the one thing I am so worried about when I arrive in the US albeit my wife is currently stable with her job, the current economic situation in the US really makes me so worry to find a job within a month. I have a very comfortable job in an airline industry in Saudi Arabia and this the kind of job I really intend to find in the US. I don't want to be stucked for more than 2 months in my wife's apartment doing nothing.

Dec 15,2009 - Assigned interview date on January 24,2010!!

Jan. 24, 2010 - Interview!! Approved

Jan. 28, 2010 - VISA received

Mar. 03,2010 - POE, New York (JFK)

Apr. 12,2010- CA ID

May 20,2010- CA Driving License

May, 25,2010-Wife told me that she is pregnant ^_^

Jan.25,2011- Our daughter was born

Lee and Jen + Karenza

The US job market, especially for professional careers relies heavily on networking. You need to make connections within the industry, join professional groups, do some pro bono or volunteer work and make use of LinkedIn.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
LOL - wow, imagine gum being outlawed in the States. There'd be riots....

It sounds like you're kept very busy at work, but it's worth suggesting nonetheless. Have you looked around for any volunteer work, something you could maybe do for a couple hours a week?

With the utmost respect to you and all retail store employees in general, you're not meeting people who are heading in the same direction as you careerwise. Unless, as I'm sure is true, many professional graduates are doing whatever work they can in the current climate. Volunteering puts you in touch with people who are either older and have more free time or generally very community spirited so tend to know a lot of people. Same with church. I'm not suggesting you find Faith in order to move ahead professionally lol, but that if you are religious but not actively practising, finding a church you enjoy attending is great for becoming involved in the community and again, having an opportunity to meet people who may know someone who knows someone.

Also, see about doing some kind of class at your local community college. It will help you get US recognised training and experience and you never know who you're going to come across.

It really sounds like you're in a very normal phase of adjustment. It's a culture shock for sure but it sounds like you know that it will pass and that you won't be in the same situation forever. Keep strong and remind yourself on a daily basis (i'll be sure to go buy shares in wrigley's now!) why you decided to move and what you are already benefitting from by being Stateside.

Chin up and good luck!

That is excellent advice. Your posting encouraged me a great deal.

We arrived here just before Christmas and i have applied for a couple of dozen jobs. What amazes me is there is no response at all. But I keep persevering.

I like the idea of the class at a local college and also 'networking' through Churches, Volunteer work etc.

Many thanks, it is a long journey but today I felt a puff of wind at the sails!

Best wishes to all

Richard

p.s. Been to Singapore in 1975, then there were posters telling men not to have long hair!

IR-5 FOR BOTH PARENTS

04/23/09 : I-130 Sent

04/30/09 : I-130 NOA1 Received

08/10/09 : I-130 Approved

08/14/09 : I-130 NOA2 Received

08/17/09 : NVC Case Numbers issued

08/17/09 : Called NVC and registered email addresses against Case Number

08/20/09 : Received DS-3032 & I-864 Bill

08/20/09 : Paid I-864 Bill

08/21/09 : Returned Completed DS-3032 Forms (by email)

08/23/09 : Receive I-864 Package

08/24/09 : Return Completed I-864

08/26/09 : I-864 Acknowledged at NVC

09/03/09 : Receive IV Bill

09/03/09 : Paid IV Bill

09/03/09 : DS-3032 Accepted

09/04/09 : IV Bill shown as PAID

09/04/09 : Returned Completed DS-230 package

09/08/09 : DS-230 Received NVC

09/17/09 : RFE (Military Record of Service & German Police Check)

10/02/09 : RFE Documents sent by DHL to NVC

10/07/09 : Documents arrive at NVC

10/16/09 : Case Complete NVC

10/26/09 : Received email notification of case complete

10/29/09 : Notification of interview date by email

10/30/09 : Medicals Booked

11/17/09 : Medical in London (Richard)

11/19/09 : Medical in London (My wife)

12/01/09 : Interview in London

12/01/09 : Required documents faxed to embassy

12/09/09 : Required documents faxed again to embassy

12/09/09 : Hard copies of documents mailed to embassy

12/17/09 : Visa received by courier

12/18/09 : US ENTRY ORLANDO!

Timeline
Hello.

Would you like me to look at your resume? I am an electrical engineer and sometimes if the resume isn't emphasizing the right things, it gets immediately thrown in the garbage. If you want me to take a look at it, let me know.

Thanks,

Nicole

I would like that. where should i send it to?

Timeline
The US job market, especially for professional careers relies heavily on networking. You need to make connections within the industry, join professional groups, do some pro bono or volunteer work and make use of LinkedIn.

where is the best place to volunteer for someone who wants contacts in engineering? i do make use of linkedin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

This is something that I'm terribly worried about. I've a degree (BA) in History and Politics. I have a lot of experience teaching as well and I have worked in a library for three years. My husband has his degree in Sport Management and Marketing. We're both recent college graduates and poor.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline
Did they revoke the gum thingie?

I lived there all of 2004 - and if you wanted gum - you had to go to the pharmacist, sign your name in a book - the law passed in 2003, IIRC.

Now, spitting chewing gum on the streets was still a fine-able offense, you betcha.

As to 'finding work' - if you search on my username here WITH toastmasters - ie

+Darnell +toastmasters

in the expanded search thingie (select 'show posts' in lower right corner)

you'll see 4 to 5 longish writeups that I've done here with advice on finding work.

I miss Singapore Food, much - did you bring any coffee socks ?

they only legalized nicotine gums for people who wants to quit smoking. i think you need to have a prescription for that.

spitting anything on the street, not just gum, is a fine-able offense.

if you undress in your own home, make sure your curtains/blinds are closed so people can't see you. cause if they can, that's an offense as well.

Timeline

Marc - find the local chapters of the professional organizations in yer area, then contact each chapter pres and inquire.

I had suggested toastmasters, as well, but to specificially find a guild that meets inside of an engineering firm.

Did you do anything from my list? at all?

Timeline
This is something that I'm terribly worried about. I've a degree (BA) in History and Politics. I have a lot of experience teaching as well and I have worked in a library for three years. My husband has his degree in Sport Management and Marketing. We're both recent college graduates and poor.

Eh - you have some time, right? The 'methods' for finding work in teaching and library krewe are a bit different than to find an engineering job. Suggest you review the 'teachers certification' process for the US. State that you will be moving to/into, and get 'hooked in' with a school district. School districts usually 'hire' towards the end of the spring semester, all the way through the summer, so you need to 'be seen' , at least electronically, prior to then.

Timeline
Marc - find the local chapters of the professional organizations in yer area, then contact each chapter pres and inquire.

I had suggested toastmasters, as well, but to specificially find a guild that meets inside of an engineering firm.

Did you do anything from my list? at all?

Hi Darren,

Really appreciate your inputs. I just emailed the president of Institute of Industrial Engineer - Dallas chapter to inquire about upcoming chapter meetings. I hope to get a reply soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.