Scott and Mhay

letter of employment---military -- AOS

14 posts in this topic

So i was looking at the requirements for the I-864... It says I need a proof of employment letter. For the military people did you just print out your proof of service letter? I can get that from my Virtual Military Personnel Flight online. Or did you write up a letter and have an officer sign it? I will also have at least 6 months of leave and earnings statements.

Also, i am going to order tax transcripts. I know i can just print up more w-2s, but will I need the 1099s an other documentation or is the transcript the best bet? I can print up my tax forms from turbotax, but I figured that the tax transcripts would be better. I definately want to get all this together so hopefully i can have it all sent to the NVC before I visit my wife in the philippines...that way i can just make copies and give them to my wife instead of sending it all through the mail too. Thanks

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

So i was looking at the requirements for the I-864... It says I need a proof of employment letter. For the military people did you just print out your proof of service letter? I can get that from my Virtual Military Personnel Flight online. Or did you write up a letter and have an officer sign it? I will also have at least 6 months of leave and earnings statements.

Also, i am going to order tax transcripts. I know i can just print up more w-2s, but will I need the 1099s an other documentation or is the transcript the best bet? I can print up my tax forms from turbotax, but I figured that the tax transcripts would be better. I definately want to get all this together so hopefully i can have it all sent to the NVC before I visit my wife in the philippines...that way i can just make copies and give them to my wife instead of sending it all through the mail too. Thanks

Transcripts are best.

Letter from you Pay Officer (stating your employed, etc...) would probably be better than the DD-214 (probably easier to get). - the LES will back that up.

However, you can go just with the tax transcripts (with the LES) - the other things they suggest are if you need to show more proof of income.

You will also need to show your in the military (active) so you can get the 100% level, not the 125%.

You may include evidence supporting your claim about yourexpected income for the current year if you believe that submitting this evidence will help you establish ability to maintain sufficient income. You are not required to submit this evidence, however, unless specifically instructed to do so by a Government official. For example, you may include a recent letter from your employer, showing your employer's address and telephone number, and indicating your annual salary. You may also provide pay stub(s) showing you i ncome for the previous six months. If your claimed income includes alimony, child support, dividend or interest income,or income from any other source, you may also include evidence of that income.
Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Yeah that is what the proof of service letter is. It shows I am active and shows when my enlistment ends..all my important dates in the military. (I dont have a dd-214 yet..not for another 6 years) LES shows that too. I'm not worried about that. Of course with my base pay I make the poverty guidlines...but if you look at my taxes especially for this year (deployed for 4 months tax free) and I own a house...so my taxable income isnt very much...gotta love that. Although, i probably wont have my taxes filed for 2009 until after my AOS is due.

I did order my tax transcripts...i will send my w-2s also with it since those are easy to print up from online pay. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Yeah that is what the proof of service letter is. It shows I am active and shows when my enlistment ends..all my important dates in the military. (I dont have a dd-214 yet..not for another 6 years) LES shows that too. I'm not worried about that. Of course with my base pay I make the poverty guidlines...but if you look at my taxes especially for this year (deployed for 4 months tax free) and I own a house...so my taxable income isnt very much...gotta love that. Although, i probably wont have my taxes filed for 2009 until after my AOS is due.

I did order my tax transcripts...i will send my w-2s also with it since those are easy to print up from online pay. Thanks for the reply.

If you send the transcripts - you do not need the W-2's! (You would most likely get an RFE for not including the 1040's with the W-2's).

Transcripts have everything, 1040/W-2/1099/schedules (as approriate) - with the letter, you should be good to go.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Ok thanks. I guess if they decide they want them, i can print and send. At least i will be in the US and i can send them express..

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey....iF you are Air Force like me then you can print your proof of service letter from VMPF and I also included my December LES in all my paperwork...show how much you made for the whole year.

Noah

AOS

Sent package - 3 Nov 11

NOA 1 - 18 Nov 11

NOA 2 - 23 Apr 11

That was my plan. I just looked at the proof of service letter. I also can send in my extension paperwork too, but that wont be needed since you can see on my LES ... although my Date of Separation is wrong...it didnt update to my new DOS when i entered my extension...I'm still getting paid though.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just did a simple letter on official unit letterhead and signed by my immediate supervisor (MSgt/E7). I don't think your commander need sign but it can't hurt. You can include the virtual letter from MPF but I believe a signed letter from a real person is best. That is what the directions state.....letter from your immediate supervisor.

I used official transcripts from the IRS and did not include any 1099's since they are added in the transcripts. I included W-2s from mypay.

Congrats!

My husband attached copies of his Form 1040 with corresponding W-2s for the past 3 years and his LES for the past 6 months to the I-864 Affidavit of Support. He had a "Request for Verification of Employment" from when he bought our house which was signed by his station commander so we just included that. We also included a copy of his military orders. :)

Edited by Fatima and Jim

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Ok, Ive been reading through this. What I have so far is

- Transcripts from the IRS in the mail

- Last 6 months LES's

^ - I just need to get the letter from my supervisor now, Does anyone have an example of that?

So far I have " NAME has been a full-time employee of the United States Army since 2007 and is in good standing with an annual income of "$$$$" - Signed[immediate Supervisor] "

Does that look like a good letter of employment or whatever, and do i have enough things for the I-864?

Thank you

Ok, Ive been reading through this. What I have so far is

- Transcripts from the IRS in the mail

- Last 6 months LES's

^ - I just need to get the letter from my supervisor now, Does anyone have an example of that?

So far I have " NAME has been a full-time employee of the United States Army since 2007 and is in good standing with an annual income of "$$$$" - Signed[immediate Supervisor] "

Does that look like a good letter of employment or whatever, and do i have enough things for the I-864?

Thank you

Mu husband had his rank (position title) on the letter as well.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

This forum is very helpful I appreciate You all for sharing informations I have the same Issue with this. My husband printed the Proof of Military Active duty and it says Its electronically siogned, He obtained it electronicaly and the printed the LES. And the tax returns 2011 and w-2. Are we good to go? Should we start sending it now? How long do they receive it? Are they going to call us or email us or send us mail for the next step?

That is exactly what I sent and we were good to go. Do you guys have the NVC case number? I see that your timeline shows that you are at the NVC stage. If you guys havent called the NVC to give both e-mail addresses, I would do so now so they will send you emails when your affidavit of support and IV package fees are due. The fees have to be paid through the payment portal. The e-mail will have a link to it.

Now is the time to get everything together and ready to send in. Once the payment clears, there will be a coversheet that needs to be printed up to send it to the NVC.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.