Wis-Can

Canada/US Crossing with Vehicle Letter

151 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry I don't have the definitive answer to your question through experience, but my husband also drives a diesel car - very few Americans are familiar with diesel cars (he gets into arguments at the diesel pump with truck drivers who keep telling him he is at the wrong pump :P ) - and while Georgia has emission requirements as well, they do not do emissions tests on diesel vehicles either. I suspect that this won't be a problem as you will be registering the car in Illinois, not in California, so Illinois will be the one who makes the decision.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I'm sorry I don't have the definitive answer to your question through experience, but my husband also drives a diesel car - very few Americans are familiar with diesel cars (he gets into arguments at the diesel pump with truck drivers who keep telling him he is at the wrong pump :P ) - and while Georgia has emission requirements as well, they do not do emissions tests on diesel vehicles either. I suspect that this won't be a problem as you will be registering the car in Illinois, not in California, so Illinois will be the one who makes the decision.

Thank You for your feedback.. I called Illinois DMV and they too didn't think there would be an issue since they don't do emissions testing on Diesels :)! It's nice to know there is another Canadian in the US driving a Diesel car!!

Removal of Conditions

[03-24-2014] ROC paperwork sent.

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

[06-17-2014] Card in production

[06-25-2014] Card in HAND

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyone know if just a regular ownership is good enough to cross the border with?

If you're just crossing to cross they won't ask for anything.

If you are importing the car:

You will need a letter of compliance from the manufacture, or have the 'stamp' inside the door frame or the engine compartment showing it is US compliant. AND have the title OR a letter from the finance company holding the lien, that the vehicle is able to be imported AND your provincial registration documents.

Edited by sheeshkabelle

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

I am having a new problem with Toyota Canada. Now they have a new policy stating that they no longer provide Compliance Letter. Any one has imported a Toyota car from Canada to US in the passed two months? They told me this new policy came into picture from 3 month ago. Now I am having a big of trouble. Without that letter I can not import my car into us and will be forced to sell it at a low price in Canada in a rush. And buying a similar one in US will make me loose a few thousand bucks which doesn't make any sense at all! I think I should not be the only Toyota owner trying to important a car into US. Are there any other ones out there having the same issue?

Anyone can provide me any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a 2013 hyundai Élantra and plan on driving accross the boarder as well. I have been wondering what I will need to show them at the boarder as well.

Timeline

I have a 2013 hyundai Élantra and plan on driving accross the boarder as well. I have been wondering what I will need to show them at the boarder as well.

Oops, the button on my tablet jumped. Anyhow like I wrote above - As far as I know you have to contact a us importer on the other side of the border and pay them to import the car for you. That is unless hyundai can give you a compliance letter.

Timeline

1 can contact your manufacturer and they should (not all do) issue a compliance letter. As well on some cars they have a compliance sticker that is in the engine bay or inside 1 of the doors and that has sufficed.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I have a question concerning my dog, she will be traveling with me to the USA. Again I plan on driving across the boarder with her. I know she needs her tabbies vaccination. Any idea what else they will want me to show them?

Thanks

Tanya

Timeline

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_pets.shtml there is the official list. I traveled from DC to Sask and then back again (just on travels) and no 1 even cared about my dog going into Canada or coming back to the USA. I think they did ask about the rabies! And I believe, you can't bring any dog food with u! Do not quote me on that---I had brought dog food from the USA with me to last the whole month and when I came back into the USA--I actually got randomly pulled over to chat with the agricultural person--and she did not care about my dog food, as it had originated from the USA.

I would just have ur list of vaccinations handy and a letter from ur vet stating the dog is healthy!! I can give you the step by step instructions on how to bring ur animals to Nicaragua though,lol Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It appears Toyota CAN provide a compliance letter, as this is the email I received in return when I contacted them the other day:

Dear Ms. x :
Thank you for your recent e-mail.

For Canadian residents relocating to the United States, Toyota Canada is able to investigate DOT/EPA compliance of Canadian Toyota vehicles.

We would require the following information prior to issuing a letter:

- Model Year and 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Your Canadian mailing address
- Your email address and/or fax number
- A clear picture of the compliance label in the door frame of the vehicle (driver's side).
- Do you wish to receive your letter via fax or email?

This information can be forwarded to Toyota Canada Inc. at the following:

Fax: 1-866-861-9527
E-mail: compliance@toyota.ca

The letter may be expected within 3-4 business days of us receiving the proper and complete documentation.

We hope that this information will be helpful.

Sincerely,

John Ross
Customer Interaction Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

• 10 months later...
Timeline

I apologize for digging this thread back up, but my wife is entering the US on her CR1 visa in two weeks.

We have a compliance letter from Mazda, the manufacturer of her vehicle, detailing out that the car is EPA certified and the other requirements. She also has her title showing ownership of the car.

Is there anything else she will need to bring with us to the border to import the vehicle as of September 2014? We know there will be paperwork involved, but we aren't sure if that is something that needs completed prior to her making arriving at the border to activate the visa.

She's going to put together a list of her belongings that she'll be traveling with in her car as well, if that makes any difference.

I've attempted to call her POE numerous times, but the line just rings without anyone answering. We're so close to being together after two years of being married and apart that we don't want to risk anything being wrong.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

8/31/2012 Married in NE
2/19/2013 I-130 petition sent to Phoenix via USPS
2/20/2013 I-130 NOA1 via text and email with an MSC receipt number
10/16/2013 I-130 NOA2 via text and email...APPROVED at MSC!!!
10/22/2013 I-130 NOA2 hard copy received in the mail
11/7/2013 NVC sent emails with case number.
11/7/2013 Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill
11/11/2013 Paid I-184 Bill
11/18/2013 Paid IV Application Processing Fees
03/03/2014 DS-260 was submitted online
03/03/2014 Submitted supporting documentation for I-864 and DS-260 (IV Package and AOS supporting documentation)
03/19/2014 Received receipt e-mails stating the documents for both I-864 and DS-260 had been attached to the case. Stated to wait up to 20 business days for processing
03/26/2014 Received a checklist regarding the birth certificate. This was previously provided in an email. Investigating what was wrong with the birth certificate.
03/26/2014 Called the NVC and was told this was likely because we accidentally submitted a "short form" birth certificate rather than a "long form", but we knew that wasn't the case.
03/26/2014 Wife called back to NVC and they told her that it was because the form was "too decorative". The lady on the phone told her to wait 25 days as she'll forward it to a supervisor.
04/04/2014 Email received with a CASE COMPLETE notification and P4 interview letter.
05/21/2014 Scheduled Interview Date.
5/21/2014 VISA APPROVED!!!!

07/04/2014 Sent renewed passport to Montreal consulate for visa placement due to old passport expiring.
07/18/2014 Visa status set to "Issued" on CEAC website.
09/29/2014 Entry to the United States.

09/12/2016 I-751 Filed to California Service Center
09/16/2016 I-751 NOA1 Recieved, Green Card Extended 1 Year
10/13/2016 Biometrics screening completed

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.