Wis-Can

Canada/US Crossing with Vehicle Letter

151 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
ok i am getting ready to put the docs together to register my car in Washington State. I just called the Licensing office and they said all they need is my vehicle registration from Canada. They do not need anything from Customs. Is this right? this doesnt sound right.... b/c if it was done this way, then why do I need to see Customs and go through all the hassle if all I need is my registration from canada. weird.

I didn't have to produce my Customs documents either. But I did have to make an appointment with their car import person. She had to look over the car and there was a form that had to be filled out before they would register the vehicle. But that's what they do in Florida. Make sure they get the mileage down as kms, though. They sure screwed that one up. :angry:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
ok i am getting ready to put the docs together to register my car in Washington State. I just called the Licensing office and they said all they need is my vehicle registration from Canada. They do not need anything from Customs. Is this right? this doesnt sound right.... b/c if it was done this way, then why do I need to see Customs and go through all the hassle if all I need is my registration from canada. weird.

I didn't have to produce my Customs documents either. But I did have to make an appointment with their car import person. She had to look over the car and there was a form that had to be filled out before they would register the vehicle. But that's what they do in Florida. Make sure they get the mileage down as kms, though. They sure screwed that one up. :angry:

I had to convert my KMs into miles, so they put down miles in their system. They didn't have KMs or something like that in their system. Anyway it worked so whatever!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't quote me on this but I think I remember reading somewhere that you can bring your car into the US for up to a year without importing it, then return it to Canada to sell there. You can't sell it in the US though. You might want to look into that.

This would be excellent for me. Does anyone know where one can find this in writing? I read the USCBP website but all it talks about is "importing" the vehicle, nothing about whether or not you are just allowed to drive it across and use it without "importing" it. I understand I would be subject to the State of Indiana rules on how long I can get away with driving a car there without registering it. My car insurance company will cover the car with Canadian plates. I guess I am just afraid they will outright turn me away at the border later this week without meeting the requirements to import my car. I would love to be able to produce something that says I am allowed to drive it, even temporarily without importing it.......

Paranoid in Ontario

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't quote me on this but I think I remember reading somewhere that you can bring your car into the US for up to a year without importing it, then return it to Canada to sell there. You can't sell it in the US though. You might want to look into that.

This would be excellent for me. Does anyone know where one can find this in writing? I read the USCBP website but all it talks about is "importing" the vehicle, nothing about whether or not you are just allowed to drive it across and use it without "importing" it. I understand I would be subject to the State of Indiana rules on how long I can get away with driving a car there without registering it. My car insurance company will cover the car with Canadian plates. I guess I am just afraid they will outright turn me away at the border later this week without meeting the requirements to import my car. I would love to be able to produce something that says I am allowed to drive it, even temporarily without importing it.......

Paranoid in Ontario

You aren't being paranoid. I have not read of another Canadian here on VJ encountering this - but we did. The border person said 'what about your car'. I told him that we were not going to import it that day, we would import it later (I had the vehicle letter etc. - just didn't feel like doing it that day).

He said no, you have to import it today. I said I had been told/read that I had up to a year to import it. He said if we didn't import it we were not taking the car. So we did.

See the third bullet in the CBP's policy on importing a vehicle for personal use: Link

<LI>Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I called the bridge at Port Huron yesterday to speak with an officer about my car. (He was very friendly...) He said that there wasn't exactly a rule about having to import the car. However he warned I may "be given a hard time" by an officer asking why I hadn't imported or registered my car yet as I was already a resident. I told this officer I was planning on only driving the car temp., until I could afford a new one. I understood I could not sell the car in the U.S and that it was up to me to follow my resident state's rules on how long I could drive locally on foreign plates without registering my vehicle. I am not sure how long that will be in Indiana as it doesn't mention that topic on their BMV website.

Basically, it sounds like I am at the mercy of the officer I get when I try to cross. I will tell them truthfully that I intend to drive the car for less than 6 months and intend to give it my Father in Canada as soon as I can get a new car. Fingers crossed that they don't force me to "import" it that day as Volkswagon denied giving me the compliance letter needed.

Wish me luck!

Timeline

Adventure with FORD

I went to my local FORD dealer and asked for a compliance letter, they took me to a little room and the woman took my information on my car as well as looked at my registration and copyed some information from it into her computer. She asked me the milage on my car as well. She said ford would fax them a copy in 1 day and I would recive the original copy in the mail in about a week or less. I got my compliance letter it states that it meets standards has running lights an lists my VIN number etc. this little paper with a FORD logo on the top cost me 113$ lol....

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

• 5 months later...
Timeline

hi

i am wanting to bring my 2006 escalade ext to my husband in usa

the truck in in my name here in canada

i called the border they gave me a form number to download CBP from 7501

the border also told me that there is a sticker under hood usually left hand corner which will state if emission is usa regulations

thank god it there and says meets all usa requirements

not sure how it works if lien on vehicle,

i dont have any that i know of

bank will be paid out in next couple weeks

so it complete paid for

guess i will find out if lien then oh please let there be none

im just concerned that usa border might stop me as i have not received interview yet

just hubby needs vehicle our car blew up

so now he needs my truck

any thougths on this

please let me know

thanks

Timeline
hi

the border also told me that there is a sticker under hood usually left hand corner which will state if emission is usa regulations

so it complete paid for

im just concerned that usa border might stop me as i have not received interview yet

so now he needs my truck

any thougths on this

please let me know

thanks

Interesting...I called our CBP at Port Huron, and the officer told me that all I need to bring is the compliance letter and they will fill out all the necessary forms when I cross.

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
hi

so it complete paid for

so now he needs my truck

any thougths on this

please let me know

thanks

You might be able to import it - but you will probably have to pay duty on it - if you have loads of spare cash - that isn't a problem for you - however if you don't, you need to call them and ask about duty payable :)

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Keep in mind---1 VJ memeber that had the sticker on the car--that sticker was NOT good enough for the POE officer, and they wanted the actual compliance letter!! The fun and games

Not sure on your bigger issue about bringing ur SUV across for ur spouse to use prior to the interview. I'm sure someone will pipe up

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

oh dear cause when i call POE they told me where to look for sticker and i asked if i need a letter or anything they said no

where should i get letter just to have

it a cadillac escalade ext 2006 gm product

would the dealer i bought from have it

they told me which plant assembled the truck it was in mexico

you think i might have troubles getting across if i dont have no paper saying i can move there i am only driving and leaving truck for my husband

they gave me the form to download so it would be quicker at border crossing but she did say it only takes a few minutes,

Timeline
hi

so it complete paid for

so now he needs my truck

any thougths on this

please let me know

thanks

You might be able to import it - but you will probably have to pay duty on it - if you have loads of spare cash - that isn't a problem for you - however if you don't, you need to call them and ask about duty payable :)

they said we would not have to pay no duty in fact i called three times to verify this

so it better be true once i get there

The contact information is on this page. Scroll down till you see your manufacturer.

Form 7051 is filled out by the Customs Officer. You do not need to download it or bring it. However, you cannot pre-import any of your goods. You have to either accompany them or import them after the fact. It will be interesting to see what the Customs officer has to say when you get there. There is a 2.5% duty on the value of your vehicle. The only way to get around paying the duty is to bring it with you when you immigrate. Or bring it after you immigrate.

Let us know how it turns out for you, though. I am interested to hear how they get around this.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.