ericdraven

Bring your money over to america

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thought you mite like this information. I was trying to sort out how to get my money out of my English bank Without paying the masses of money you end up paying the banks going from one account to another. Well I found Paypal to be the cheapest I sent money from my Paypal account connected to my Bank account to my Wifes Paypal account. Took a few days but only cost me £3.50 about $7.00. My babe just wrote me a cheque and I put it in my American Bank account.

Edited by ericdraven

July 26th 2006 Took a trip to Texas !!!

Aug ???? 2006 Saw a Pretty Lady (Kristy of course)

Apr 10th 2007 After talking to lawyers and lots of tears returned home

May ??? 2007 Kristy go's in hospital for op

Jun 11th 2007 129F Paperwork sent

Jun 25th 2007 At last got NOA1 !!!

Jun 27th 2007 Touched

Jun 15th 2007 Its my Birthday Yea!!!

Aug 1st 2007 Kristy coming to see me !!!

Aug 11th Kristy went home :(

Oct 26th 2007 We've had our first touch !!!

Oct 31th 2007 Yes we've been touched Yet again !!!

Oct 31st Kristy coming to see Me yea !!!

Nov 1th 2007 Another touch is today the day!!!

Nov 2nd 2007 Another touch Now I'm getting Worried :(

Nov 7th Kristy Had to go home :(

Nov 7th no touches or update's since the 2nd and now A RFE !!! :((

Dec 14th 2007 At last NOA 2 !!! :))

Jan 15th 2008 paperwork landed at NVC

Jan 16th 2008 on itw way to london !!!

Jan 22nd 2008 recieve by the embassy

Jan 28th 2008 Oh my !!! panic packet 3 on my door step

Jan 29th 2008 Back in the post next day delivery !!!

Feb 4th 2008 Medical in london

Feb 25th 2008 interview at embassy Approved !!!

Mar 5th 2008 Flying Home !!!

April 5th 2008 Getting Married !!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's the best ticket going right now because you come out of pocket a lot more any other way. Like you have noted, there is some lag time in transferring the funds back into the appropriate bank account, but that's it. No biggie and thanks for posting this...

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
Thought you mite like this information. I was trying to sort out how to get my money out of my English bank Without paying the masses of money you end up paying the banks going from one account to another. Well I found Paypal to be the cheapest I sent money from my Paypal account connected to my Bank account to my Wifes Paypal account. Took a few days but only cost me £3.50 about $7.00. My babe just wrote me a cheque and I put it in my American Bank account.

That's exactly what my husband and I are going to do.

blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

I thought that other exchange places were better? I can't tell you their names though cause I forgot them already :blush: If PayPal works out better then I can save myself a whole lot of hassle...

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Those are the ones I was on about!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have used Customhouse for 3 yrs now, and its great! Takes a bit to initially set up the account, but NO fees when u transfer Electronically (EFT). Takes 3-4 business days for a transaction. They do offer a wire service which is very quick, but it costs a few $$.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

do they offer the same rates of exchange?

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just know that custom house gave a a much better exchange route than my USA bank (wachovia)

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I know in the past we have used PayPal for smaller amounts because they had a really good exchange rate but not sure how this compares to everything else..

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Timeline

The way the system works is that the online exchange house considers your electronic transfers from account to account as trades. In their eyes you are purchasing and/or selling foreign currency.... not simply moving it from account to account. So, for example, let's say you wanted to move money from your account in the UK to your account in the US. You would pick a rate, lock it in, and make the "trade". There are no additional service fees associated with the transaction unless you require same-day service. The wire fee for same-day service is $20 at Custom House. Which is still far cheaper than the service fees that the banks in the US charge.

With Custom House, you choose your own rate as the market goes up and down. You have two options:

1) Choose a rate and have them inform you once it reaches that point.

2) Watch the rates fluctuate and lock in when it hits an amount you're happy with.

The other variable lies in the amount. If you have a significant amount to move, then you would work with a broker and this will get you the better rate. In my case, my first transaction was significant so they assigned me a broker who worked with me in setting up the account and informing me.... based on his expert opinion.... when the market had reached its best available rate and recommending that I act now. When I was ready to move smaller amounts, my original broker set me up with a Vantage account where you do your own trades. The person who helped me with the new account said my original broker had arranged for me to receive a higher exchange rate than regular Vantage users due to my initial trade. This is why it's a bit difficult to say what rate of exchange you are going to receive. The best way to confirm it is to call the banks and ask them for their current rates, then check with Custom House/Vantage to see what their going rates are. Now, mind you, the bank does not update their rates every 30 seconds (or whatever the refresh rate is) like the online exchange houses do. The banks work on a daily rate.... their rates aren't fluctuating with the market..... so you will never see the same rate for both. Also, the banks are going to take their cut so they will increase/decrease the exchange rate to their advantage, whereas the exchange house effectively cuts out the middleman in order to give you a preferred rate.

For those who are concerned with the rumours of having to declare amounts greater than 10k.... this does not apply. All transactions are verified by the banks involved, leaving you out of having to get involved..... in effect they are saying that this is legitimate money and to proceed with the transaction.

Phew. I hope I haven't muddied the waters further. My best advice is to call the 1-800 # and speak with an advisor. They are very pleasant and very helpful, and will walk you through every step of the way. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.

I just know that custom house gave a a much better exchange route than my USA bank (wachovia)

Ditto. Plus my bank charges a hefty fee for the "service". Which they know is a total ripoff because they told me, themselves, to do it my way.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Okay, seriously now. I pour my heart and soul into a dissertation on the merits of online trades and all I get is silence? Where is the applause? Where are the accolades? Where are my chocolate-covered Easter Bunnies? I'm going back to the popcorn threads. :angry:

Well, when I read your response I was sincerely impressed! I guess I was just so awestruck that I was left speechless! :P

Huzzah! Bravo!! You are the best!! :D

Seriously, it was a great response. Unfortunately we don't seem to see a lot of acknowledgement for great posts around here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.