Elvis

My wife can't get certificate from the place of residence

16 posts in this topic

My wife can only get police certificate from the place where she is born, because all data in Bosnia go to one place - place of birth

But, the NVC is asking in RFE letter for police certificate from the place where she lives now -a different city

I told them what is the rule in Bosnia, they told me they now rules in every country

4 days now on the phone between NVC, police in Bosnia, US Embassy in Bosnia

The NVC told me yesterday that my wife should get some paper from police that says that she can nort get police certificate from that city and the senf it to the NVC and that should be fine

She is gonna get that paper on Monday - I hope so

I called them again Today and they promised me to give the case to supervisor and review it again in 10-15 days

I also requested same info form Bosnian Embassy here in USA

They gonna send it to me on Monday

Anybody had the same situation?

NVC knowing better what are rules in one country the the government of taht country

Is it supervisor review of document help?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I received a RFE for military records that are unavailable in Peru. I called three times in one day and received 3 different "solutions" to the problem.

One of them was waiting 10-15 days for review. The others were requirements made up by the reps.

I resorted to sending a letter to NVC. Not feeling good about that, I called 2 days later and the rep started with the wrong solution. She transferred me to a supervisor.

The supervisor was very nice. He listened and decided to research something on the spot. He called me back about 20 minutes later and said I had all the required documents and would have the case rushed. I called tonight - 2 days later - and the rep said the case was not finished, but they were looking at it. There were notes in my filed dated today so he knew they were looking at it.

So I would say the supervisor helps a lot. I'll post when I have the final results.

I know it is difficult when you have everything in order and have to wait extra time for nonsense.

Good luck. I hope the supervisor you talk to says a few days, not the 10-15 days.

Timeline

Elvis

I finally received and opened the RFE letter in the mail. And it is requesting the certificate I already sent them and that they have in hand.

I am more frustrated that the reps do not have the information that is sent out. If they did, I would be finished by now. They would not listen to me and made up things for me to send. It is vey sad.

My husband is trying to be strong for me, but I know he was disappointed and it is difficult to explain the inefficiencies of the government.

Again, best of luck when you are able to speak to a supervisor.

Filed: Timeline

jm&mcs,

I looked at state dept's web page and they have specific instruction about how to get military record for Peru. Did you look at it?

I am from Bangladesh and I know every document they mentioned there about my country is actually obtainable. I know they did their homework because some of those documents are very Bangladesh specific (ex: Nikah nama for marriage certificate).

Just thought to mentioned it thinking that it might save you time. I know sometime they can be totally illogical also.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

just make sure the police cert, valid for the whole country rather than one city.

that will be the different. if your wife live in current city for 2-more year you should able to get one from there as well

Marriage : 2006-05-17

-------------------------
USCIS Process
-------------------------
I-130 Sent : 2007-06-12
I-130 Approved : 2007-12-05
Status: Take 179 days to complete, because of notarize marriage certificate(RFE).

-----------------------
NVC Process
-----------------------
NVC Received : 2007-12-06
Case Completed at NVC : 2008-03-13 Case Complete Forward to Embassy
Case Left NVC : 2008-03-18
Status: Take 97 days to complete, because of the tax return and w2 (RFE),

-----------------------------
Consulate Process
Consulate Received : 5/12/2008 Eligible for interview, waiting for notice (Per DOS)
Packet 4 Received : 6/11/2008
Interview Date : 7/10/2008 interview at 7:15am (Per DOS)
Blue - Required Overcome. Overcome send 7/24
8/19/2008 Going back to GUZ to get visa stamp
Visa Received : 8/22/2008
US Entry : 10/17/2008 JFK Port of Entry

Citizenship Process

N-400 Filed: 11/25/2012

Interview Date: 1/2013 (Passed)

Ceremony: 03/2013

that certificate is valid for the whole country

That is what Bosnian law says

But, NVC apparently knows better what is the law in Bosnia

I did not speak to a supervisor, they just told me they gonna hand the case to a supervisor

thank you guys for replies

I hope those letters from local police and Bosnian embassy herein USA are gonna help

Timeline

vj_nvc_user

I followed all the links and the reciprocity schedule. For Peru it is "unavailable". Unfortunately, it goes on to discuss an identification document that is not a military record. The Lima Embassy specific info specifically lists an additional police certificate from the military, which was obtained and sent. The RFE letter states I need this certificate. Peru requires 3 police certifcates and apparently the reviewer did not count well. I submitted four. All is there and I am waiting patiently to have the case completed after their error.

Timeline

Elvis

Here are the results of the supervisor intervention.

I heard the RFE on Saturday 5/3, letter sent to me 5/1.

Called NVC Monday, 5/5 three times and received 3 "solutions."

Mailed a letter using RFE letter from missing DS-230 after I-864 complete.

Didn't feel good about all this and called again late Wednesday night 5/7. That is when I was transferred to a supervisor who did call me back and said he would have it move along again.

I am assuming it started moving again Thursday 5/8. The letter entered the system Friday 5/9. I do not hink it really mattered by then. My case was completed 5/12. So it took 2 or 2.5 working days to complete. Darn those weekends.

I did receive the actual NVC letter 5/9. And it stated I needed what they already had in my file. That made me more frustrated that the NVC reps do not have the same information that is sent out with the RFE letter.

Good luck.

Joanne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Elvis

Here are the results of the supervisor intervention.

I heard the RFE on Saturday 5/3, letter sent to me 5/1.

Called NVC Monday, 5/5 three times and received 3 "solutions."

Mailed a letter using RFE letter from missing DS-230 after I-864 complete.

Didn't feel good about all this and called again late Wednesday night 5/7. That is when I was transferred to a supervisor who did call me back and said he would have it move along again.

I am assuming it started moving again Thursday 5/8. The letter entered the system Friday 5/9. I do not hink it really mattered by then. My case was completed 5/12. So it took 2 or 2.5 working days to complete. Darn those weekends.

I did receive the actual NVC letter 5/9. And it stated I needed what they already had in my file. That made me more frustrated that the NVC reps do not have the same information that is sent out with the RFE letter.

Good luck.

Joanne

Congrats jm&mcs :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife can only get police certificate from the place where she is born, because all data in Bosnia go to one place - place of birth

But, the NVC is asking in RFE letter for police certificate from the place where she lives now -a different city

I told them what is the rule in Bosnia, they told me they now rules in every country

4 days now on the phone between NVC, police in Bosnia, US Embassy in Bosnia

The NVC told me yesterday that my wife should get some paper from police that says that she can nort get police certificate from that city and the senf it to the NVC and that should be fine

She is gonna get that paper on Monday - I hope so

I called them again Today and they promised me to give the case to supervisor and review it again in 10-15 days

I also requested same info form Bosnian Embassy here in USA

They gonna send it to me on Monday

Anybody had the same situation?

NVC knowing better what are rules in one country the the government of taht country

Is it supervisor review of document help?

Hi Elvis,

In my experience having a supervisor involved did help. Our paperwork was basically just sitting there - anyway, once the supervisor got involved she got back to me after a few days and to make a long story short the approval came shortly after that.

As for the documents, this is information from their website, I'm sure the Government involved does know better, however thought I would post this information as it might help you to understand what they are looking for (right or wrong). Good luck! :thumbs:

Police Records

Police certificates for citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina are available from the cantonal ministries of interior in the Federation entity of BiH, and from district police department in the Republika Srpska (RS) entity of BiH.

An application for a copy of a police record should be submitted to the police authority (cantonal ministry of interior or police department) at the applicant’s place of residence. People who reside in the same canton or district where they were born will have the fastest service (about three days), as all civil records in BiH are archived based on the citizen’s place of birth. For people residing in a canton or district different from their place of birth, the local police will have to request information from the person’s town of birth; response times are uncertain. Citizens born in the Republika Srpska should apply for the police certificate in person in their town of birth. Based on the certificate from the place of birth, the cantonal ministry of interior at the place of residence will issue the final official version of the certificate. Every citizen of Bosnia and Herzegovina should be able to obtain this certificate. The fee for this certificate in the Federation is KM 60.

It is very important not to confuse the police certificate with a certificate issued by courts, which is often referred to by the same name (“Uvjerenje o nekažnjavanju”), but covers only the period of the past six months and indicates the absence of any investigation, charge, or conviction in that period. The police certificate covers all periods of time the person has lived in BiH.

Bosnian applicants living outside BIH must apply at the police department in their place of birth, either in person or through an authorized representative, in which case an original notarized power-of-attorney will be required. link

I am still at the beginning

they still require that stupid certificate

they say their data show that she can go to the police station where she lives and apply for certificate and then they gonna get the certificate from birth place and convert it to a final certificate

those people in Bosnia , they are laughing to us

they say all data in Bosnia go to the birth place and they are responsible for that certificate, not the police of the city where she lives now

They gave her a letter that says that they are not responsible for that kind of certificate

I am just waiting for translation

what do you think,

is that letter gonna help?

it sucks that the NVC thinks they know the law of all countries better then the citizens of those countries

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I am still at the beginning

they still require that stupid certificate

they say their data show that she can go to the police station where she lives and apply for certificate and then they gonna get the certificate from birth place and convert it to a final certificate

those people in Bosnia , they are laughing to us

they say all data in Bosnia go to the birth place and they are responsible for that certificate, not the police of the city where she lives now

They gave her a letter that says that they are not responsible for that kind of certificate

I am just waiting for translation

what do you think,

is that letter gonna help?

it sucks that the NVC thinks they know the law of all countries better then the citizens of those countries

:blink: Sorry to hear about your trouble. :wacko:NVC site is really mixing birth certificate and marriage certificate and they have no clue when you ask them question related to birth certificate.

Here is what I see from NVC Reciprocity Schedule for Bosnia

Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates

Birth (“Izvod iz matične knjige rođenih”), marriage (“Izvod iz matične knjige vjenčanih”) and death (“Izvod iz matične knjige umrlih”) certificates are available from the civil registrar (“matičar”) having jurisdiction over the locality where the event occurred. If the event occurred abroad, the BiH citizen may report it to the BiH authorities and is then issued the corresponding document, listing the foreign country as the place of occurrence of the event. The fact that a marriage took place by proxy is not usually evident from the marriage certificate. Only civil marriages are legal in BiH.

Note: The practice in BiH has been that changes in civil status, such as divorce or name change are entered onto birth certificates. Thus, the BiH authorities usually require submission of a recently issued (within the past six months) birth certificate when BiH citizens request issuance of government documents.

Instruction tells you that you can get birth certificate from the place where the event occurred at the same time NVC still thinks that you can get birth certificate when you got married possibly due to name change.

USCIS

02/01/2008 : Mailed I-130 to Chicago Lock Box via Priority Mail

02/04/2008 : I-130 reached Chicago 2:18 AM

02/19/2008 : NOA1

02/20/2008 : $355 check cashed

02/25/2008 : Case available to view online

08/26/2008 : Email: Case will transfer to CSC

08/27/2008 : Notice Sent: Case will transfer to CSC

09/04/2008 : Email: Case arrived and pending at CSC

09/05/2008 : Touch

09/08/2008 : Touch

09/23/2008 : Approved !!! (217 days | 31 weeks) from NOA 1 (235 days | 33 weeks) from file

09/24/2008 : Touch

NVC

09/29/2008 : NVC received Case & Case # assigned

10/03/2008 : DS-3032 & I-864 Fee bill generated

10/04/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent sent

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill instruction received in mail

10/09/2008 : I-864 Fee bill ($70) submitted online

10/10/2008 : I-864 Fee bill shows status "PAID"

10/14/2008 : I-864EZ Package sent via priority mail

10/16/2008 : I-864EZ Package reached NVC

10/16/2008 : E-mail for Choice of Agent accepted. (12 days)

10/16/2008 : IV Fee bill ($400) submitted online

10/17/2008 : IV Fee bill accepted

11/13/2008 : DS-230 Package mailed to NVC (Had to wait for PCC)

11/18/2008 : DS-230 Package reached NVC

11/21/2008 : Case Complete (53 days | 7 Weeks) at NVC

Consulate

01/06/2009 : Medical

01/27/2009 : Interview (361 days | 51 weeks) from file

02/09/2009 : POE (Newark)

02/21/2009 : SSN Received

02/25/2009 : Welcome Letter Received

thank you for response , but I am talking about police certificate not birth certificate

Also I know the reciprocity web site

it is my nightmare

it is wrong

they can't know the law of a country better then people who made that law

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
thank you for response , but I am talking about police certificate not birth certificate

Also I know the reciprocity web site

it is my nightmare

it is wrong

they can't know the law of a country better then people who made that law

Hey Elvis, I know a similar story in which someone had the same issue as you guys. Someone from Germany was told that they needed 2 police certificates because they lived in different cities. NVC told them that it was possible. This person wrote to the justice government in Germany and obtained a letter saying that this police certificate was the only one obtainable and is for the whole country. So maybe you could write a letter there in Bosnia and get a clarification.

blackribbonsmall.png

I-130 Petition

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

Married in Germany : 10-19-2007

I-130 Sent : 01-03-2008

I-130 NOA1 : 02-07-2008

I-130 NOA2 : 04-28-2008

NVC Case Number Assigned : 05-02-2008

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Received from NVC: 05-17-2008

DS-3032 Choice of Agent Emailed to NVC: 05-17-2008

AOS Fee Paid Online: 05-19-2008 (PAID 05-20-2008)

AOS Sent To NVC: 05-27-2008 (Coversheet printed online)

DS-3032 accepted by NVC: 05-27-2008

I-864 Arrived at NVC: 05-28-2008

I-864 Entered into NVC System: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Received: 06-02-2008

IV Bill Paid: 06-03-2008

DS-230 sent to NVC via USPS Express Mail: 06-26-2008

DS-230 arrived at the NVC: 06-27-2008

DS-230 entered into system: 06-30-2008

Case Completed at NVC: 07-07-2008

Case Left the NVC for Frankfurt, Germany: 07-15-2008

Case Received at the Consulate: 07-17-2008

Interview Letter Received: 07-25-2008

Medical Appointment in Hamburg, Germany: 08-04-2008

Interview in Frankfurt, Germany at 8:00am: 08-13-2008 - APPROVED - VISA GRANTED

Visa Received in the Mail: 08-15-2008

Flight to the USA: 09-26-2008 (POE - LAX @ 3:40pm)

I got a letter from police station saying that only location taht can issue a police certificate is the police station in the city of person's birth, so I hope it is gonna help

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.