DJ and BJ

Signs of a Fraudulent Marriage?

37 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask the advice of people up here on whether or not they think this situation constitutes marriage fraud:

Alien comes over on F-1 visa...doesn't maintain requirements of the visa and becomes out of status by not staying enrolled in the school and carrying a full course load as this particular visa requires.

Alien continues to work, without authorization. (At and near an airport, wierd right?)

Alien then gets married and adjusts status for Green card, and does not live with his spouse, and has a girlfriend that is definitely not the spouse...

Alien's sister also has confirmed that he doesn't live with his spouse and has multiple women in his life...

What do you think? And if it smells like fraud what/how, would you do to report it?

I just think that it is really unfair and unjust for those of us who honestly and correctly go about these procedures of being with our spouses...

AOS

Date Filed : 2009-03-09

NOA Date : 2009-03-17

RFE(s) : 2009-03-30

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-20

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, it does sound fraudulent - and highly unlikely to pass AOS.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I wanted to ask the advice of people up here on whether or not they think this situation constitutes marriage fraud:

Alien comes over on F-1 visa...doesn't maintain requirements of the visa and becomes out of status by not staying enrolled in the school and carrying a full course load as this particular visa requires.

Alien continues to work, without authorization. (At and near an airport, wierd right?)

Alien then gets married and adjusts status for Green card, and does not live with his spouse, and has a girlfriend that is definitely not the spouse...

Alien's sister also has confirmed that he doesn't live with his spouse and has multiple women in his life...

What do you think? And if it smells like fraud what/how, would you do to report it?

I just think that it is really unfair and unjust for those of us who honestly and correctly go about these procedures of being with our spouses...

If all is true, yeah sounds like fraud. Question: Why do you think its weird he works near/at a airport??? Suspect something?

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Yes, it does sound fraudulent - and highly unlikely to pass AOS.

Not sure if they passed AOS, but alien made the comment that he was once legal and now 'legal', so I made the assumption that they indeed suceeded..

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

i've personally met many people throughout life that got green cards from sham marriages. it does happen, sadly enough. some people are just that desperate to live in the US of A.

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

After 9/11 I think its wierd because somehow he was able to still obtain someone's ss number, or recieve an ID or work permit, when F-1 visa holder's are not supposed to accept employment until after completing a program.

I don't know about how people are able to obtain illegal documents that 'check out' without being caught; especially working at an airport base...that's why its wierd to me...

AOS

I don't know about how people are able to obtain illegal documents that 'check out' without being caught; especially working at an airport base...that's why its wierd to me...

port.gif

After 9/11 I think its wierd because somehow he was able to still obtain someone's ss number, or recieve an ID or work permit, when F-1 visa holder's are not supposed to accept employment until after completing a program.

He could of been paid "Under the Table." but very unlikely at a airport, I hate fraud!!!!

Edited by Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

And by the way - if you actually know this person (or actually know of him) I would seriously wish you would consider reporting this to the proper authorities.

The last thing I'd want is a illegal/fraudulent person working at an airport (too easy for them to be bullied/blackmailed into possibly doing things they might not ordinarily do which puts us all at risk).

And by the way - if you actually know this person (or actually know of him) I would seriously wish you would consider reporting this to the proper authorities.

The last thing I'd want is a illegal/fraudulent person working at an airport (too easy for them to be bullied/blackmailed into possibly doing things they might not ordinarily do which puts us all at risk).

Sadly I do know him, he tried to marry me for a green card, that is why we are no longer friends. I want to report him, how can I do it? Just call ICE? Can I report anonymously?

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. Either way, fraud or just a really wierd relationship I doubt it would pass the smell test at the AOS unless they can pull off a pretty good charade. I can say this though, we had our AOS interview and were never asked to provide a single piece of evidence or asked a single question regarding our relationship...NONE. Had WE done exactly what this person is doing, we would have passed (except for the visa violations from earlier, I don't know about that)

If you think this is fraudulent it can be reported to the USCIS and I don't any of us that have been through the process legally would object to that. This kind of thing is, after all, what it makes it difficult for the rest of us.

Sadly I do know him, he tried to marry me for a green card, that is why we are no longer friends. I want to report him, how can I do it? Just call ICE? Can I report anonymously?

Yes and Yes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The problem is, until recently, it was hard to "check out" someone. The systems would only verify the SS number was valid, not who it belonged to. Now they are much better, but what if he was working there for some years, and I am not talking ancient history, just 2-3 years ago. The really good systems are just now coming into general use and not everyone uses them. I would THINK an airport would, but remember many of the people working AT airports are not working FOR the airport. Most all the service people work for a contractor, and how well does the contractor follow the rules? How often does the airport audit his employee files and in what detail? The problem (if you call it that) with a FREE country is that it can be difficult to plug every "hole" without being oppressive to everyone else, and Americans basically HATE that.

For a given price you can have whatever false ID you want of a good quality. Stricter rules run the price up. But if someone has knowledge of this they SHOULD report it and I would be very grateful to you if you did. As stated above, an illegal worker is WAY too easy a target for someone to coerce into doing something really bad...not just working illegally.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I STRONGLY urge you to gather as much hard proof as you can and report this person ASAP! I totally agree that having him working in airport just doesn't seem 1. Right and 2. At all safe.

Do the RIGHT thing!! :thumbs:

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.