Fahad S

Case Pending at NVC - Issues with Pakistani Birth Certificate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I am really hoping someone can help me out. I am a U.S. citizen and my wife is a Pakistani born Canadian Citizen. I submitted the DS-230 packet for the CR1 and my case is on hold as they rejected my wife's BC. I had submitted her original BC that was provided by the hospital at the time of her birth and it was in English; additionally, I submitted an original attested BC statement that was attested by Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. These two documents were used by the Canadian immigration a few years back while my wife was obtaining Canadian immigration and had no issues.

Does anyone has any advice for me. I am not sure what else I can obtain and submit. I called NVC and the agent told me that I need a copy that is attested by the Pakistani Ministry of Health or by the local municipality where my wife was born. Neither I nor my wife have any relatives in that area of Pakistan anymore - I really hope I won't have to spend $2k to go there to extract an official copy of her BC. This is just frustrating!!

I was born and raised here, and have no clue how I can go about obtaining this record. Any advice as to what I can do or submit in lieu of the document that U.S. immigration is requesting? Any advice you can offer will be appreciated as our case has been on hold for 8 weeks now and I just don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for assisting me with this matter!

-Fahad

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
Hi everyone!

I am really hoping someone can help me out. I am a U.S. citizen and my wife is a Pakistani born Canadian Citizen. I submitted the DS-230 packet for the CR1 and my case is on hold as they rejected my wife's BC. I had submitted her original BC that was provided by the hospital at the time of her birth and it was in English; additionally, I submitted an original attested BC statement that was attested by Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. These two documents were used by the Canadian immigration a few years back while my wife was obtaining Canadian immigration and had no issues.

Does anyone has any advice for me. I am not sure what else I can obtain and submit. I called NVC and the agent told me that I need a copy that is attested by the Pakistani Ministry of Health or by the local municipality where my wife was born. Neither I nor my wife have any relatives in that area of Pakistan anymore - I really hope I won't have to spend $2k to go there to extract an official copy of her BC. This is just frustrating!!

I was born and raised here, and have no clue how I can go about obtaining this record. Any advice as to what I can do or submit in lieu of the document that U.S. immigration is requesting? Any advice you can offer will be appreciated as our case has been on hold for 8 weeks now and I just don't know what to do.

-Fahad

First you need to find out EXACTLY what document NVC needs, then you need to find out how to get it in Pakistan.

NVC should be able to tell you what they need. You'll need to search the web to find out where to get Pakistani BC.

Once you know what and where, you need to find out if you can order it via mail or if you have to have an agent request it in person.

If it has to be an agent in person, find out what the agent needs, and who can be an agent (does it have to be a family member, does it have to be an attorney, etc).

If your wife has no family or friends in Pakistan, then you will need to find someone in the US or Canada that knows someone in Pakistan,

and who is willing to act as an agent for you (assuming you don't need an attorney).

That's what I'd do before I pay $2K large to get on a plane. It's a lot easier to let your fingers do the walking.

Good luck.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Timeline

Well, over the last 8 weeks that I have been wrestling with this, I have spoken to NVC about 4 times and each time I get a different person and the answer is consistent. Your BC was rejected as it was deemed that it's not the original. The BC should be issued by the local municipality and not by the hospital or an attested copy from the Ministry of Health. It must bear the seal of the municipality. In Pakistan, BCs for foreign immigration purposes are attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and not the Ministry of Health, but I have been unsuccessful in getting my point across to NVC. I have even sent written requests that have been reviewed and then rejected and just placed in my file.

I am really hoping that someone has already traveled down this road and is able to guide me.

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
Well, over the last 8 weeks that I have been wrestling with this, I have spoken to NVC about 4 times and each time I get a different person and the answer is consistent. Your BC was rejected as it was deemed that it's not the original. The BC should be issued by the local municipality and not by the hospital or an attested copy from the Ministry of Health. It must bear the seal of the municipality. In Pakistan, BCs for foreign immigration purposes are attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and not the Ministry of Health, but I have been unsuccessful in getting my point across to NVC. I have even sent written requests that have been reviewed and then rejected and just placed in my file.

I am really hoping that someone has already traveled down this road and is able to guide me.

I am sorry that you're having such difficulties.

Have you tried speaking to a supervisor at NVC?

It sounds like you need to contact the municipality, to find out if they can issue a BC.

I'm sure there IS someone here that's been down this road, and I'm sure morning will bring new light to this issue.

Best of luck.

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

NVC required an extract of birth from the relevant authority that has the seal/stamp of the issuing authority.

I don't know about Pakistan. In my country, we can have another person/agent to help with getting an extract of birth.

May be you can ask this at the regional forum, people from Pakistan may be able to tell you where and which authority/department you can get this document, and whether it's possible to pay someone to do it for you.

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi everyone!

-Fahad

this cud very well b a dumb idea but why dont u find out from NVC exactly what they need. then maybe talk to the pakstani embassy in the US and see if there is something that they can help u with...just a thought!

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Fahad

I just searched on internet and I found this site , I hope it will help u , just give it a try

http://www.mamooninpakistan.com/default.php?id=18

Sept 15 2007 I-130 sent

Jan 4th 2008 NOA1 received

Feb 24 2008 File entered into system

May 06 2008 1st Touch

May 07 2008 2nd Touch

June 17 2008 Approval notice sent (update in email)

June 18 2008 Touch

June 25 2008 NVC Assigned case number

June 30 2008 I 864/ds 3032 generated

July 07 2008 I 864 bill paid/ emailed ds3032

july 11 2008 AOS package mailed

july 25 2008 IV bill paid online

aug 06 2008 ds230 package sent

aug 08 2008 nvc received ds230 package

aug 15 2008 RFE letter sent by NVC

sep 04 2008 RFE cheklist entered into system

sep 11 2008 CASE COMPLETED :)

Nov 06 2008 INTERVIEW

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe this will help: link

Birth Certificates

Available. Reporting of births is voluntary, and records are not uniformly kept, particularly in rural areas. Almost all records of vital statistics of the Karachi Municipality were burned in 1948. Where a record of birth exists, a certificate to that effect may be obtained from the Registrar of Births and Deaths or the Director of Health Services in the municipality or, in rural areas, from the union council, district council or district health officer. Caution should be used, however, in accepting such certificates, since they frequently do not match the original ledgers. Births also may be registered late. In lieu of a birth certificate, Pakistanis often use school records attested by the headmaster or principal of the school or matriculation certificates, both of which identify the father and the date of birth.

Timeline

Thanks to all who responded. I have decided to contact the municipality office and obtain it from there. One of my dad's friends has volunteered to go retrieve it from the city office.

Thanks!

Fahad

• 4 years later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i am a pakistani born too and my husband has applied for the same thing

u have to get it attested by the ministry of health

they do issue birth certificates now

My motheinlaw was born in india in 1943. she is pakistani citizen living in pakistan all her life. how she can get bith certificate from karachi. my e mail is malikhusain@aol.com

i-751 filed at CSC

NOA received dated March7, 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.