32 posts in this topic

I started the same topic yesterday night, but everything disappeared this morning :unsure: So here's my story again...

I received RFE a while ago for a medical examination. The RFE wording wasn't clear and I didn't understand why would I be asked to do the medical again since I had one done already less than a year ago by that time. So I thought it's asking for a vaccination supplement. My husband called their help line to make sure and the lady on the phone told him that we understood the RFE correctly and all it asks for is the vaccinations supplement. So we sent that. Now I received a letter saying that my AOS is denied since we didn't send in all the requested documents - the medical examination.

So what am I doing next? Please help me :( I was given 30 days to appeal on that decision, but no instructions on how to do so. I have no idea how much that would be effective and what are my other options, if I have any at all... :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It sounds like you will have to get a medical exam, they dont have the results of the one you took for your initial visa. Then send it in with a explanation that you had tried to find out what they were actually looking for and you were misinformed.

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't think I would just get a medical exam and mail it to them. You should call and set up an ifopass to talk to somebody. I would also be reading up on the appeal process.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Here is some info about appeals and motions to reopen. Perhaps someone more in the know on motions to reopen will be able to say for certain whether that would apply for you. On looking at it, it appears you may.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/aau.htm

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Thank you for your replies, I made an infopass appointment for friday and we'll see what they'll advice us to do. I'm not even sure if I can trust any advices from the immigration officers anymore considering what happened now after we followed one of such advices from their help line... Does anybody know about any other people here who had their AOS application denied? I would like to contact them to see what they were doing about it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

it is gonna cost you a little bit if the USCIS does not tell you anything at the infopass ($385). If I were you I would send them the medical** again**satisfy them (uscis) than refusing to because it was less than one year. It is very hard to win aganist a FEDERAL agency ( it may be doable but very hard) Good luck

it is gonna cost you a little bit if the USCIS does not tell you anything at the infopass ($385). If I were you I would send them the medical** again**satisfy them (uscis) than refusing to because it was less than one year. It is very hard to win aganist a FEDERAL agency ( it may be doable but very hard) Good luck

Cost me for what? :blink:

And it's not like I refused to do the medical, it's their help line that told me I don't need to! If I would know that's what they want from me I would give it to them right away.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Cost me for what?

For the medical exam! Some of them can cost a pretty penny or several pretty 'C' notes. Good luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If you shop around, you may not have to pay as much. I got quotes for a medical exam from $500 to $120, from next day to 2 wks out. Mine ended being $140 (this included a physical and blood work, but no vaccinations, which you probably don't need anyway, since you have a complete supplement). Shop around. You may want to do the medical right away.

And keep us posted on how things go.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
And it's not like I refused to do the medical, it's their help line that told me I don't need to! If I would know that's what they want from me I would give it to them right away.

Unfortunately, calling the help line doesn't work as an excuse to avoid re-doing the medical which is clearly

what the RFE was about. I have no idea why they asked you to re-do the medical, but I'm sure they had

their reasons, and acting in defiance of their request was not a smart thing to do.

If I were you, I'd hire a lawyer NOW. It's a very serious matter -- the appeal is pretty much your last chance

to stay in the country -- if you screw it up like you did the medical, you'd have to LEAVE.

Good luck (F)

Mark

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Damn Mark,

That was pretty cold. I really don't think we are looking at deportation right now. This was an honest mistake. For some reason the USCIS is going against the code of federal regulations and asking for exams that are very clearly against the law. I don't know what the deal is but I don't think anybody here is being removed because they did not take a second exam.

I think the OP will probably have to take the exam and may even have to pay again for the adjustment appilcation, but lets please not scare the ###### out of this person.

Unfortunately, calling the help line doesn't work as an excuse to avoid re-doing the medical which is clearly

what the RFE was about. I have no idea why they asked you to re-do the medical, but I'm sure they had

their reasons, and acting in defiance of their request was not a smart thing to do.

If I were you, I'd hire a lawyer NOW. It's a very serious matter -- the appeal is pretty much your last chance

to stay in the country -- if you screw it up like you did the medical, you'd have to LEAVE.

Good luck (F)

Mark

3 Dec Received NOA 1

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

18 May Packet 3 arrived

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

13 Sept 05 Married

27 Apr Received EAD card

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

Timeline

If the RFE asked for a new medical, I would do it right away, before the appt on Friday, or at least schedule one now.

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

---

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Damn Mark,

That was pretty cold. I really don't think we are looking at deportation right now. This was an honest mistake. For some reason the USCIS is going against the code of federal regulations and asking for exams that are very clearly against the law. I don't know what the deal is but I don't think anybody here is being removed because they did not take a second exam.

I think the OP will probably have to take the exam and may even have to pay again for the adjustment appilcation, but lets please not scare the ###### out of this person.

Are you kidding me?! Her AOS was DENIED -- of course we're looking at deportation! And no, she can't

just re-submit the RFE after it was denied -- they will simply return it because the case is now CLOSED.

It is very very serious. She needs to file a motion to reopen the case and she needs to do it right.

A motion to reopen is more appropriate than an appeal in this case, because there are "new facts" which

would have certainly changed the outcome of the case had they been discovered before the original

petition was denied.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Wow, that serious?

11-07-2005 AP approved

---

Timeline

I guess only time will tell if the OP is deported or not. I did not mean to downplay the seriousness of the denial. I just doubt that ICE will remove this person while the case is more or less still pending. We'll keep an eye on this one and see who is correct!

I see 3 options:

1. Take the exam and beg at an ifopass. Maybe there is still something that can be done on the original petition.

2. Take the exam and file a motion to reopen or an appeal.

3. Take the exam and file another I 485.

I have read stories of people that chose to file again ( as opposed to appeals ). It might not hurt to ask a lawyer about this. Regardless of your choice, I would get something done soon.

Damn Mark,

Are you kidding me?! Her AOS was DENIED -- of course we're looking at deportation! And no, she can't

just re-submit the RFE after it was denied -- they will simply return it because the case is now CLOSED.

It is very very serious. She needs to file a motion to reopen the case and she needs to do it right.

A motion to reopen is more appropriate than an appeal in this case, because there are "new facts" which

would have certainly changed the outcome of the case had they been discovered before the original

petition was denied.

3 Dec Received NOA 1

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

18 May Packet 3 arrived

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

13 Sept 05 Married

27 Apr Received EAD card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.