mox

Anyone Else From Pitcairn Islands?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well my fiancee is finally here. It was an interesting trip for her, first a steam tramp to New Zealand (no airports on Pitcairn unfortunately) and then on to San Francisco from there. The good news is that she made it all in once piece, and we're just so happy to be together AT LAST!!!!!

When we were long-distance dating, everything was fine. We could only speak to each other on the phone for about 30-45 seconds at a time because the long distance rates to Pitcairn Island are astronomical. But now that she's here, the communication issues are very evident.

For starters, she knows no English. She can only speak Pitcairnese, which is very different from English. Like for instance there are no nouns in Pitcairnese. Or verbs. Or adjectives. The entire language is made up of adverbs. There is only one tense in the language, which makes planning anything in the future or talking about anything that happened more than a minute ago very difficult. Pleasantly has tried to teach me how to write the language, but unfortunately the alphabet has 72 characters, and they are all identical. There are also no vowels as far as I can tell.

Anyway, if anyone else here is from Pitcairn, please let me know how you are coping with this unique situation. Maybe we can even get the mods to start us a new forum!! I love my Pleasantly so much, but so far things are not going very well at all. :( :(

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
:rofl:OMG! :rofl:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I recommend an international keyboard. It's a bit difficult at first (e.g. "they moved quite a few of the letters on me" = "they ,oved auite q fez of the letters on ,e") but she'll get used to it, and you'll be learning a new language too! Purchase a second computer and a router so you don't have to take turns on the chair. Alternatively, I know of one couple who, although they could not speak each other's language, successfully carried on a long distance relationship and were engaged using only emoticons. You may want to try that too.

Good luck! :thumbs:

iagree.gif

I recommend an international keyboard. It's a bit difficult at first (e.g. "they moved quite a few of the letters on me" = "they ,oved auite q fez of the letters on ,e") but she'll get used to it, and you'll be learning a new language too! Purchase a second computer and a router so you don't have to take turns on the chair. Alternatively, I know of one couple who, although they could not speak each other's language, successfully carried on a long distance relationship and were engaged using only emoticons. You may want to try that too.

Thank you Crikey, your post was much more helpful than the other guy who seems to think it's all a big joke. Unfortunately I did a Google search and could not find any Pitcairnese keyboards. Do you know if maybe I can find them at Best Buy or Circuit City?

Emoticons is a good idea too I didn't think of this! They don't smile very much on Pitcairn though (there is a local legend that says baring your teeth makes the parrots unhappy or some weirdness like that) so she might not get some of them.

Thanks again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Haha! Well you're lucky I have actual work to do today. :D

you were saying...? :P

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Timeline

My friend, success! I am now officially crying (in laugher) at your plight!

Thank you Crikey, your post was much more helpful than the other guy who seems to think it's all a big joke. Unfortunately I did a Google search and could not find any Pitcairnese keyboards. Do you know if maybe I can find them at Best Buy or Circuit City?

Emoticons is a good idea too I didn't think of this! They don't smile very much on Pitcairn though (there is a local legend that says baring your teeth makes the parrots unhappy or some weirdness like that) so she might not get some of them.

Thanks again!

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Haha! Well you're lucky I have actual work to do today. :D

you were saying...? :P

*sigh* yes, I still have to assemble the bunk bed (she refuses to sleep too close to the ground because of predators) and then we're off to have her de-loused. I guess that steam tramp wasn't the most hygenic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

don't you mean hygienically?

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

don't you mean hygienically?

My Pitcairn Islands persona sometimes makes spelling mistaks. In Pitcairnese, spelling is much easier. For starters, because all 72 characters of their alphabet are the same, they do "interpretive spelling." They use a lot of silent letters too, which are not only silent when spoken, but they're silent when written too. It's really a crazy language, and it makes it SO HARD for us to get on with our LIVES together!!! :(

Mods do you think you could make a Pitcairn Islands forum so that other Pitcairn Islanders could see my posts and help out?

Edited by mox

*sigh* yes, I still have to assemble the bunk bed (she refuses to sleep too close to the ground because of predators) and then we're off to have her de-loused. I guess that steam tramp wasn't the most hygenic.

OH LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jest:

LOLOL You are a riot Mox!!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

You know, I was thinking. Perhaps your fiancée could share a little something with us about the US Embassy in Pitcairn? I mean, the lineups must be horrendous. And the Administrative Processing doesn't bear thinking about. I'm sure that tens ones of other Pitcairners would really value any tidbits you could throw their way.

iagree.gif

Timeline

They are literally in the middle of nowhere! Southern Pacific in between South America & Australia.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I read some of your other posts and I am still laughing.

Where are these Islands?

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I read some of your other posts and I am still laughing.

Where are these Islands?

Yeah they are in the middle of nowhere. No harbor or airport. The current population is 50 people.

keTiiDCjGVo

Where are these Islands?

Yeah they are in the middle of nowhere. No harbor or airport. The current population is 50 people.

49 actually. Pleasantly is now safe and sound with me, sleeping atop her newly constructed bunk bed. Sorry for the slow typing everyone, but if I type to fast it might wake her up.

Just so everyone knows, Pitcairn may be a tiny nation, but they have contributed much to the world you live in today. You know those little shells you can buy in tourist shops with the little plastic eyes glued to them? Those are actually made by Pitcarian Enterprises LLC. The same factory produces elbow grease and water line for the Royal Navy, and there's another factory on the other side of the island right next to the Starbucks that produces jellyfish preserves.

Thanks everyone for your interest in my lovely orange beauty's homeland. Please PM the mods and ask them to support the creation of a Pitcairn Island forum so that we Pitcairn Islanders can have a place to call home here on VJ!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.