GaryC

Magic jack

17 posts in this topic

As you may know Luz and I are moving in a few weeks into our new home. Right now I have a basic land line and DSL for my internet. The only reason I even got the land line was because I needed it to get the DSL. I just found out that DSL isn't available at my new home so I will be going with cable internet. It's twice the cost of DSL but if you figure in the cost of the land line they are the same. I used to have Vonage at $25/month and really liked it but I gave it up when I went with DSL a while back.

So here is what I want to do. Since I must go back to cable internet I was thinking about canceling the land line and going back to Vonage. Then I ran across this thing, http://www.magicjack.com/site/index-7c.html . It looks like it is just like Vonage except that it plugs into your USB on your computer rather than you internet connection. I understand that it means my computer must be on for my phone to work but that is no problem since my computer is never turned off. The big advantage I see with MagicJack is the cost. You buy it for $40 and there is no additional cost for a year! After that it is $20/year. You get free long distance in the USA and Canada along with call waiting, caller ID and voicemail. It sounds like a good deal. Anyone tried this thing yet? We use our cell phones for almost everything but I still want a land line for the prime time calls.

Hey Gary, I have someone in my office who just bought one. He's still waiting on his adaptor so he has not really tried the service yet. However, he said that somebody in his church ran a demo on the product and showed that one can place a voice or data (fax) call without disrupting speed of internet surfing. I don't know if this product has been on the market long enough to prove reliability.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Keep us posted, Gary. I sent the link to my friend who's in that field (in Canada) and I'm interested to see what she has to say about it.

I have to say that this is is very appealing. The thing cost me $50 with shipping and that includes a years worth of service. After that it's only $20/year. I know that anyone that is still waiting for their SO should think about sending them one if they have high speed internet at home. I did the same thing for Luz with a Vonage but that cost me $25/month. This is so much cheaper and it seems to work just as well. The fact that we could call each other and talk as long as we wanted made the wait so much easier.

Magicjack works great! My fiance got me one recently so we are able to talk on the phone every day! I have my own US-phone number even though I am in Germany! :thumbs:

I love it...

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

sweet!!

cable internet rules and DSL drools

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

my best friend bought one and sent it to his mom in Romania, it works great, he sd he can talk to his mom and girlfriend everyday now.

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Wow! I need to try this. Great find! :thumbs:

For a $50 investment ($40 + $10 express shipping) you really can't go wrong. Never getting another phone bill sounds good to me! Like I said your computer needs to be on for this to work but other than rebooting my computer is always on. I just did the "optimization" thing on the control panel and the quality got even better! Right now I can't tell it isn't a hard wired phone line. My connection didn't slow down a bit while I talked. So far so good!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I assume it only works on one phone? Right now I have VOIP with Cox, and have 2 jacks. 1 is with the computer and the other is in the kitchen, thus 2 phones (handsets) I'm assuming with MagicJack, I would only have the phone that is connected to the computer work?

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I assume it only works on one phone? Right now I have VOIP with Cox, and have 2 jacks. 1 is with the computer and the other is in the kitchen, thus 2 phones (handsets) I'm assuming with MagicJack, I would only have the phone that is connected to the computer work?

Since I've never tried it, I can't be sure, but theoretically... I assume a line-splitter might work. It would probably degrade the overall signal and call quality, though. But if you're absolutely set on getting two phone lines out of one Magic Jack, then that might be the way to go.

Since I've never tried it, I can't be sure, but theoretically... I assume a line-splitter might work. It would probably degrade the overall signal and call quality, though. But if you're absolutely set on getting two phone lines out of one Magic Jack, then that might be the way to go.

It does have only 1 jack. I have a multi-phone wireless set-up. Plug the jack into one base unit and I can have up to 4 wireless phones hooked up. It's extra nice because I don't have to locate the phone next to a jack. I have also, with my Vonage system, just hooked the jack on the router straight to a phone jack. I could then make the whole house "live" that way. I don't know it the Magic Jack has enough power to do that but since I have the wireless base units I don't have to worry about it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My system has 2 phones!! 1 doesn't have to be "plugged" into the telephone "plug" But my 1 in the kitchen!! Guess that is solved by purchasing a system like yours gary!! Plus I have to see what the saving is! My pkg is all bundled together,and in reality, we rarely ever use the land line!! Thanks for the info Gary, Hope LuZ is doing better (still get her but to a Dr, just tell her ((which could be very true)) that her stay at the hospital could be much longer if she does not go now!!! ) I'm a RN student and during a few of my rotations have witnessed people that things could have been soo much better if they had only gone to the hospital (emergency, DR office) earlier. Guess this should be for the other thread, BUT us humans I (not just Luz) can be stubborn and they have to realize, their life effects the loved one's as well!! Thanks again!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1