17 posts in this topic

I'm currently filling out the affidavit of support and am on Part 5, where you enter the number of people in your household and whatnot.

I put in '1' for the person I am sponsoring, '1' for myself, but then it says "If you are currently married, enter '1' for your spouse".

I am currently married, but he is the person I am sponsoring so what should I put there?

I looked at the example form and it has '0' in that place, but isn't it contradictory?

What is the proper way to do it?

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Feb 23, 2011: ROC packet sent to VSC

Feb 24, 2011: Packet rec'd at VSC

Feb 25, 2011: NOA date

Mar 04, 2011: Rec'd NOA dated 2/25

Mar 18, 2011: Rec'd Biometrics Appt letter

Apr 08, 2011: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 26, 2011: Approval letter rec'd dated 8/22

I'm currently filling out the affidavit of support and am on Part 5, where you enter the number of people in your household and whatnot.

I put in '1' for the person I am sponsoring, '1' for myself, but then it says "If you are currently married, enter '1' for your spouse".

I am currently married, but he is the person I am sponsoring so what should I put there?

I looked at the example form and it has '0' in that place, but isn't it contradictory?

What is the proper way to do it?

oi...also, on question 24 - the example form has 'NONE' listed in letter b, but then has the box checked in letter e saying the person listed above [insert name] does not need to fill out an i-864A because he is the intending immigrant but has no dependent children etc.

I was under the assumption that letter e only needed to be filled in if I would be using my husband's income to aid in making the 125% above poverty level. I am not using his income as he has none at the moment and I on my own make enough to cover it. So to my understanding I should still put NONE in part b and leave the boxes for d and e unchecked?

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

That's what I have in my I-864. We are two people (hubby annd me) We have no children but we had a joint-sponsor who filed the I-864 also.

part 5

question 21.

a.) [01]

b.) [1]

c.) [0]

d.) [00]

e.) [00]

f.) [00]

h.) [02]

We were already married but that's what a lawyer told us. Obviously it was right since we got approved.

Question 24.

a.) gross income

b.) (mine is empty)

c.) gross income (equals the number in a )

d.) and e) are empty.

I hope that helps you! :)

Edited by Gina-S

ROC - approved 08/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in trouble now....i just mailed my AOS package today and when I've read this post about question 24 (e)..my wife wrote my name there,...oh my...we thought that we need to write my name on that question...she's not using my income because i'm intending immigrant. Do you think i'm in trouble? I just copied the example that someone's filled in visa journey example forms for I-864.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

I'm in trouble now....i just mailed my AOS package today and when I've read this post about question 24 (e)..my wife wrote my name there,...oh my...we thought that we need to write my name on that question...she's not using my income because i'm intending immigrant. Do you think i'm in trouble? I just copied the example that someone's filled in visa journey example forms for I-864.

Trouble? probably not - it may cause confusion however. Wait and see. (FYI - an intending immigrant can - in some cases - include his/her income in that portion.)

That's what I have in my I-864. We are two people (hubby annd me) We have no children but we had a joint-sponsor who filed the I-864 also.

part 5

question 21.

a.) [01]

b.) [1]

c.) [0]

d.) [00]

e.) [00]

f.) [00]

h.) [02]

We were already married but that's what a lawyer told us. Obviously it was right since we got approved.

Question 24.

a.) gross income

b.) (mine is empty)

c.) gross income (equals the number in a )

d.) and e) are empty.

I hope that helps you! :)

Thank you! That's how I did Question 24 and I will follow the example for the other one as well. :)

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Yeah that is the example I was following as well. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. It would be nice if on those example pdf forms there could be notes with it as well to explain bits where it could be confusing (such as 24e - only fill this out if you're including the intending immigrant's income)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah that is the example I was following as well. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. It would be nice if on those example pdf forms there could be notes with it as well to explain bits where it could be confusing (such as 24e - only fill this out if you're including the intending immigrant's income)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Always read ALL the instructions carefully. Note the instruction that specifically tells you not to list anybody twice. If you do, they'll send it back to you to do again correctly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You mean..they will send the whole AOS application including the form I-130? or just the affidavit of support only...?

Always read ALL the instructions carefully. Note the instruction that specifically tells you not to list anybody twice. If you do, they'll send it back to you to do again correctly.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a question about the same thing.

My wife, the petitioner, moved back in with her parents to save cash while we go through this process. Her mother is going to be a joint sponsor and so we are filling an I-864 for the petitioner and an I-864A for the joint sponsor as we all live under the same roof. We also have our Grandmother-in-law living in the same house, so with me, the immigrant, included, the total household size is 5.

So I am putting the following, please can anyone confirm that I am correct.

21a. 01 - immigrant

21b. 01 - petitioner

21c. 00 - although married, I assume 0 is correct.

21d. 00 - no kids, no siblings under 21.

21e. 02 - Father-in-law and Grandmother-in-law.

21f. 00

21g. 01 - Mother-in-law is co-sponsor

21h. 05 - total household size

Many thanks for your time.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/25/08 - sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox

05/05/08 - received NOA1, assigned to VSC

11/07/08 - transferred to CSC

12/16/08 - NOA2 by email - I-130 approved

12/20/08 - NOA2 in mail - 240 days

12/22/08 - NVC receive package

01/05/09 - we receive AOS Bill and DS-3032

02/12/09 - medical 04th Mar 2009 - NVC Complete - 314 days

04/28/09 - interview passed - 370 days

06/20/09 - visa arrived by courier

06/21/09 - POE Dallas Fort-Worth - 398 days to gain permanent residence (CR-1)

02/22/11 - Sent I-765 to Vermont Service Center

03/03/11 - Received receipt for I-765

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

Sorry for the double post, I can't edit the above post. A further question is that because the father-in-law and grandmother-in-law has enough income to sustain themselves, they don't consider themselves "dependant" on the co-sponsor or the petitioner, so does that make a difference? I wouldn't think so, but I need to satisfy their worries.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/25/08 - sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox

05/05/08 - received NOA1, assigned to VSC

11/07/08 - transferred to CSC

12/16/08 - NOA2 by email - I-130 approved

12/20/08 - NOA2 in mail - 240 days

12/22/08 - NVC receive package

01/05/09 - we receive AOS Bill and DS-3032

02/12/09 - medical 04th Mar 2009 - NVC Complete - 314 days

04/28/09 - interview passed - 370 days

06/20/09 - visa arrived by courier

06/21/09 - POE Dallas Fort-Worth - 398 days to gain permanent residence (CR-1)

02/22/11 - Sent I-765 to Vermont Service Center

03/03/11 - Received receipt for I-765

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

• 5 years later...
Filed: Other Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Can someone help me something similar happened to me but I'm applying for my Husband I put 1 for myself and should I put one for him even though he is not here in the country? Please I'm really confused?

• 10 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I filled 2 I-864 forms. 1 for my wife and 1 for my stepdaughter. I got a checklist from NVC stating that the documentation is improper. Cr-1 visas do not allow for dependants on the same form. the checklist made me realize that I should have filled as follow.

For my wife I should have filled:

1 for person I am sponsoring,

1 for my self and

2 for my children here.

total of 4

for my stepdaughter I should have filled: 1 for person I am sponsoring

1 for myself

1 for my wife?

2 for my children here.

total of 5.

will this be correct?

• 1 year later...

It seems that as many people as have replied here, the original question is still unanswered. 

Part 5, Question 1 says: person you are sponsoring in this affidavit = 1 (my wife)

Part 5, Question 2 says: Yourself = 1 (me) 

Part 5, Question 3 says: If you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse = 1 (I married my fiancee on the K1 visa). 

Somehow we end up with household size of 3 although I am not supposed to count anyone more than once, so which do I omit?? The verbiage is very confusing. Thanks. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.