MPGGPM

How many of you have had success (or not) visiting your spouse in USA?

Visiting USA during immigration process?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried to visit your spouse/loved one in the USA while your application was being processed?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. If yes, what was your mode of entry?

• By plane.
    • By car.
    • Other.
    • Have not tried to visit.
  3. 3. What was it like for you at the port of entry?

• I entered with no problems at all.
    • I was asked a few questions, but still let in.
    • I was grilled thoroughly by the customs officer or taken for "secondary questioning", but eventually allowed to enter.
    • I was denied entry, and had to go back.
    • Have not tried to visit.

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

This question gets asked so often on these forums, that I think it would be helpful to get a better idea of the actual number and the "success rate" of people who have been able to enter the USA and visit their spouse or loved(legally of course:) during the immigration process.

My wife has been here twice, both times with very few questions asked at the POE.

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a strange poll..good luck with it ..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Timeline

You don't find polls on cat litter and BJ's to be a bit....uh...off base? :blink:

Hmm.......

Not to mention some other recent topics on these forums ranging from lack of sex to another discussing a sore butt. :whistle: ..................

Well.... I'd say this poll pales in comparison to some other recent topics lately ;)

In either case, with this being such a constant topic on VJ, and since many people are afraid of even "trying" to get into the USA to visit , I think it would be useful information to a lot of people. There is a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings regarding this issue out there, and it would be good to get a better sense of what the actual data is.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

You don't find polls on cat litter and BJ's to be a bit....uh...off base? :blink:

Hmm.......

Not to mention some other recent topics on these forums ranging from lack of sex to another discussing a sore butt. :whistle: ..................

Well.... I'd say this poll pales in comparison to some other recent topics lately ;)

In either case, with this being such a constant topic on VJ, and since many people are afraid of even "trying" to get into the USA to visit , I think it would be useful information to a lot of people. There is a lot of misinformation and misunderstandings regarding this issue out there, and it would be good to get a better sense of what the actual data is.

i think it willl be useful to you,,,

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Even though I knew that my wife (then fiancee) wasn't going to get a tourist visa from the US embassy in Minsk I ponied up the non-refundable $100 application fee and instructed her to try anyway. She was kind of bummed out at the time because we had been apart for quite a while and the K-1 was taking forever. The success rate for getting a tourist visa is less than 10% and she was denied. It was a waste of my money, but it got her mind off of us being apart for the time it took to deny her a tourist visa.

Anyway, there is a big difference in fiance(e)s from the EU, Canada, western Europe, etc. and those from eastern Europe, the former USSR, etc.

When you have to have an impossible to get visa just to get on the airplane, playing games with US immigration to sneak a visit with your fiance(e) is not an option.

Only people that live in countries that can visit the USA without a visa can play those kind of games and sneak in a visit.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Only people that live in countries that can visit the USA without a visa can play those kind of games and sneak in a visit.

I fail to see why you think those of us who are able to travel for visits to US are 'playing games' or 'sneaking' :unsure: I feel sorry for everyone who has a spouse/SO from those countries where travel visas are denied, it isn't fair, but it doesn't mean that those from countries that are able to make perfectly legal visits are doing anything wrong.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First visit in November 2001, flew out of Toronto airport. Had my then 10 1/2 year old son with me. Asked purpose of trip by female customs officer. Answered, "Visit with fiance for a week." I was then asked how long I had known him and I responded. She asked where my son's father was and if he was aware that his son was coming for a visit. I produced a letter from my son's father. She asked my son when the last time was that he had seen his father and my son told her the day before. She let us through.

Second time I came in April 2002 out of Toronto on my own. Asked by male customs officer purpose of my trip. Answered, "To visit for a week." He asked if I was planning on conducting any business while in the U.S. I said, "No." Wished me a good trip and sent me on my way. I had proof of ties to Canada on me just in case.

No playing games or being sneaky on my part. They asked, I answered. If they had turned me away, so be it.

Timeline
Even though I knew that my wife (then fiancee) wasn't going to get a tourist visa from the US embassy in Minsk I ponied up the non-refundable $100 application fee and instructed her to try anyway. She was kind of bummed out at the time because we had been apart for quite a while and the K-1 was taking forever. The success rate for getting a tourist visa is less than 10% and she was denied. It was a waste of my money, but it got her mind off of us being apart for the time it took to deny her a tourist visa.

Anyway, there is a big difference in fiance(e)s from the EU, Canada, western Europe, etc. and those from eastern Europe, the former USSR, etc.

When you have to have an impossible to get visa just to get on the airplane, playing games with US immigration to sneak a visit with your fiance(e) is not an option.

My wife's not from a visa waiver country. I'm not saying it's easy, but it IS possible.

But....I understand your frustration VERY well. This whole process is a lesson in frustration and really tests one's patience. Lord knows mine has been...........many times.

But, depending on your circumstances, your luck, and mainly................your persistance (that's a biggy)......it can be done.

It's good to see that so far.....the success rate has been 100% (except there was one instance I read earlier today in the k-1 forum, which was quite negative, which doesn't show up on this poll).

It's reassuring, because my wife and I are not done with this process yet, and might have to endure another "nail biting" and excruciatingly monotonous wait ..........in the hopes that she gets through again.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

• 8 months later...

This is an -excellent- poll.

I've been dying for some statistics with this, since my husband and I decided it was worth a shot.

I understand that every case and every immigration officer is different, but its nice to know the success rate is higher than the denial rate....

I'll be able to vote in this poll the day after tomorrow. (Unless I'm in jail in LA somewhere).

Immigration officers are human too...

There has to be some compassion in there somewhere.

People keep voting!

Filed: Timeline

I answered for my wife (I'm the USC). She did not try to visit. I used to visit her though, in Canada. When I re-entered, I've been in secondary twice. Questioned, car searched, the whole nine yards.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Timeline
Interesting.

You mean all of these questions, etc were when you tried to re-enter Canada?

God I'm nervous.....

That's not what I said. The questions were by the Americans when I was re-entering the US from Canada. I am the USC.

And don't be nervous. Unless you're young, brown and male like I am, you've got nothing to worry about. Heck, even if you were, you'd still have nothing to worry about unless you had something to worry about.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I never tried.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline