ric

Proof of Intent (to not jump the system!) Visiting mid-process

36 posts in this topic

I visited several times during the K1 process. I took proofs but was not asked for them. I didn't mention the K1 visa as I wasn't asked about it. I told them I was staying with a friend.

Wow! I always feel so guilty going through immigration - I haven't visited since April though so hopefully that will make things a bit easier in Feb...

wow...i had nooooooooo idea!! is there anywhere i can read more about this!!????? we waited all this time?? i was never able to travel to him...but he sure wass!!! haha...is this only with certain types of visas?? wow...haha...i'm shocked! i wish i knew about this before..

you evidently don't hang about much in the main part of this section; the question is asked - and patiently answered - on an average of once a day :lol:

as mox says though, a lot depends on how you're travelling... there are no guarantees for ANYONE, but if you're from a country on the Visa Waiver Program you seem to have a lot more chance (though that said, you also TAKE the chance, of buying a ticket and setting out just on spec, and maybe being turned away at the border and made to fly home again... at least if you have to get a tourist visa, you know in advance whether you're likely to be successful or not)

i went to visit Eric for 6 weeks right after our NOA1.

they didn't ask ONE single question. POE was philly.

maybe we were just lucky, but for me it was the 2nd visit that year.

good luck!!!

Eep... I am so scared I will get turned away in Feb... am defo going through Dublin or I will be a wreck the whole journey...

Does anyone know if other POEs are better? I normally fly into LAX and they do hassle you a bit and the IOs never seem to smile - I always get scared going through...

What are other people's experiences of different POEs?

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I went through immigration in Detroit, the only time I visited, and the guy there was really pleasant (though he DID ask me if I might be thinking of marrying my boyfriend, which didn't seem like a loaded question at the time but certainly does now, after all I've learned)

the next time I enter the US will be on the K1, and my fiancé will be with me, so hopefully that will make things a bit easier :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Timeline
I went through immigration in Detroit, the only time I visited, and the guy there was really pleasant (though he DID ask me if I might be thinking of marrying my boyfriend, which didn't seem like a loaded question at the time but certainly does now, after all I've learned)

the next time I enter the US will be on the K1, and my fiancé will be with me, so hopefully that will make things a bit easier :)

Make sure to answer that question differently this time around! :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

:lol:

good point :lol:

man, there's a time and a place for everything, isn't there...

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I am just really worried that I might get denied entry in February... that would screw *everything* up...

*panic*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

ric, if your fiance has not had a pattern of frequent, and particularly lengthy visits, combined with the proof of ties to the UK, he should be just fine at the POE. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
ric, if your fiance has not had a pattern of frequent, and particularly lengthy visits, combined with the proof of ties to the UK, he should be just fine at the POE. Good luck!

I don't know about lengthy, he usually visits for 10 or 15 days at a time, but three or four visits per year for the last three years...

I'm sure it'll be fine, even if they do question him a bit.

Edited by ric

My Timeline

Summer 2005 - Introduced online by a mutual friend

December 2005- Meet face to face. Mark 12/20 official start date.

June 9, 2007 - NOA1 from VSC

February 20, 2008 - APPROVED!!!

February 21, 2008 - paperwork forwarded to NVC.

February 27, 2008 - paperwork sent to Consulate.

March 6, 2008 - Packet 3 recieved.

March 19, 2008 - Packet 3 returned. (minus checklist!)

April 21, 2008 - Returned checklist. All Packet 3 in London.

May 7, 2008 - Medical.

May 30, 2008 - Interview. APPROVED.

July 27, 2008 - Arrives in US.

August 8, 2008 - Legal Wedding

AOS:

Sent: 10/17/08

Notice of Receipt: 10/23/08

I-765 - Rejected: 10/22/08

I-765 Resubmitted: 11/5/08

I485 RFE (for already submitted documents): 11/10/08

Biometrics appointment: 11/14/08

RFE returned: 11/15/08

Transferred to CSC: 5/15/09

Card Production ordered: 7/28/09

Yeah I figure I know the system well enough that I can convince the IO I am not going to do anything stupid... Even if it is horrible...

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I don't know about lengthy, he usually visits for 10 or 15 days at a time, but three or four visits per year for the last three years...

I'm sure it'll be fine, even if they do question him a bit.

I think you'll definitely be having a wonderful Christmas together! :luv:

Eep... I am so scared I will get turned away in Feb... am defo going through Dublin or I will be a wreck the whole journey...

Does anyone know if other POEs are better? I normally fly into LAX and they do hassle you a bit and the IOs never seem to smile - I always get scared going through...

What are other people's experiences of different POEs?

I usually fly to Washington Dulles as my fiance lives in the DC area, and my experience with the Immigration officers there has always been alright ( so far....). Most of them were very pleasant and would even joke around from time to time.

I'll be leaving for Washington again on the 23rd this month and this will be I think my 8th or 9th entry to the US within 2007. My fiance and I are both Airline employees and able to fly cheaply, so we have been doing a lot of flying back and forth over the past two years.

I have actually never thought about the possibility of getting denied upon arrival (I was blissfully ignorant so far :blush: )

but this time I'll bring a lot of evidence regarding that I have no intent on doing anything unlawful which might jeopardize my K1 visa.

I'll bring an employment letter, a copy of my lease contract of my apartment, my Airline ID, a copy of NOA1, his flight schedule stating that he'll be flying back to Germany with me, etc....

I guess anything that will show them proof of intent of flying back home will help.

Usually, when they asked upon arrival what I'd do in the US, my standard reply was that I was going to see my boyfriend. I was thinking about replacing the word "boyfriend" with "sweetheart" this time and about not addressing the whole "fiance visa thing" myself, I'll just wait and see if they want to know more details.

But if they ask, I'll bombard them with evidence of intent to go back home and I'll also say that there's no need at all to break any laws (NOA1).

I try not to worry too much about the scenario of being sent back home and I actually just can't wait to get my b..tt on that plane on the 23rd!!! :)

Merry Christmas everyone!!!! :luv:

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

I'm pretty sure he'd remember to bring the return itinerary, but it never hurts to remind. (or point him to this thread :D)

Definitely remember the return ticket itinerary - I brought a letter from work, my schedule for school for next semester, and the itinerary - and the immigration officer only wanted to see the itinerary proving that I was going back. I didn't mention the K1 since it wasn't asked, but when he asked why I was flying into the US, I was honest and said that I was visiting my fiance and friends in Philadelphia.

POE was Vancouver International Airport at their pre-clearance area - never had a problem going through there. I've also flown into JFK and didn't get hassled by immigration either.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

I think I am just going to be as honest as poss and answer questions they ask with evidence too - I am only temping right now so I am hoping that I can ask the place I work to write a letter saying I am returning etc as well and if not then the agency or if all else fails, bribe someone I know to say I am working there!! I have every intention of doing things by the book but sometimes finding evidence is hard!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

I think I am just going to be as honest as poss and answer questions they ask with evidence too - I am only temping right now so I am hoping that I can ask the place I work to write a letter saying I am returning etc as well and if not then the agency or if all else fails, bribe someone I know to say I am working there!! I have every intention of doing things by the book but sometimes finding evidence is hard!!

Just an idea:

as far as I understand they want to see strong existing ties to the home country....maybe i.e. a current lease of a car can also help? Just an idea...

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

I own my car so not sure how that would work... I'm sure I'll find things :) Although I might be panicking here nearer the time!!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I own my car so not sure how that would work... I'm sure I'll find things :) Although I might be panicking here nearer the time!!!

Jera-

We packed piles of proof that he was going home and then the officer swiped Pete's passport and took his left finger print and waved him on. Not even a 'how long are you staying for' question.

So, bring everything, but hopefully you'll get a grumpy lazy officer too!

You'll be fine in February I'm sure!

My Timeline

Summer 2005 - Introduced online by a mutual friend

December 2005- Meet face to face. Mark 12/20 official start date.

June 9, 2007 - NOA1 from VSC

February 20, 2008 - APPROVED!!!

February 21, 2008 - paperwork forwarded to NVC.

February 27, 2008 - paperwork sent to Consulate.

March 6, 2008 - Packet 3 recieved.

March 19, 2008 - Packet 3 returned. (minus checklist!)

April 21, 2008 - Returned checklist. All Packet 3 in London.

May 7, 2008 - Medical.

May 30, 2008 - Interview. APPROVED.

July 27, 2008 - Arrives in US.

August 8, 2008 - Legal Wedding

AOS:

Sent: 10/17/08

Notice of Receipt: 10/23/08

I-765 - Rejected: 10/22/08

I-765 Resubmitted: 11/5/08

I485 RFE (for already submitted documents): 11/10/08

Biometrics appointment: 11/14/08

RFE returned: 11/15/08

Transferred to CSC: 5/15/09

Card Production ordered: 7/28/09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.