15 posts in this topic

As some of you know that I made a mistake in I130 by putting "None" to the question 7c "Other Name Used (write maiden name if married woman)". This time, in DS230, I am going to put my wife's maiden name to the same question. AND like to add a note that the answer "None" in I130 was just a MISTAKE.

1. Do you think adding this note would help avoid receiving a RFE?

2. Do you think adding this note will draw their attention, which otherwise would go unnoticed?

Would appreciate your advices

Shamim

As some of you know that I made a mistake in I130 by putting "None" to the question 7c "Other Name Used (write maiden name if married woman)". This time, in DS230, I am going to put my wife's maiden name to the same question. AND like to add a note that the answer "None" in I130 was just a MISTAKE.

2. Do you think adding this note will draw their attention, which otherwise would go unnoticed?

Shamim

I think that might only confuse things since the NVC is at the point of the DS-230. Be aware that even though you may be your wife's agent for the immigration process, she is supposed to fill out the DS-230 Part 1 and 2 and sign part 1....part 2 gets signed in front of the immigration interviewer.

They won't send you a DS-230, just the letter telling you what else must be sent in with it and a barcode sheet to put on top of your papers. I had my wife download the DS-230, print it out and write in all the info as she got it together, then when finished download again and fill it in on the computer so it was all typewritten, then we had to also send her certified copies of police report, our marriage license, and a photocopy of her passports biometrics page. She sent all this to me by overnight mail then I attached the barcode letter and sent it all to NVC.

Download DS-230 here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf

Edited by rjp44

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Shamim

I think that might only confuse things since the NVC is at the point of the DS-230. Be aware that even though you may be your wife's agent for the immigration process, she is supposed to fill out the DS-230 Part 1 and 2 and sign part 1....part 2 gets signed in front of the immigration interviewer.

They won't send you a DS-230, just the letter telling you what else must be sent in with it and a barcode sheet to put on top of your papers. I had my wife download the DS-230, print it out and write in all the info as she got it together, then when finished download again and fill it in on the computer so it was all typewritten, then we had to also send her certified copies of police report, our marriage license, and a photocopy of her passports biometrics page. She sent all this to me by overnight mail then I attached the barcode letter and sent it all to NVC.

Download DS-230 here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf

Just to clarify, of course DS230-1 will be signed by my wife and will be sent to NVC with the barcode sheet and required documents.

My question is how would NVC take this issue having 'None' in I130 and some name in DS230 to the same question? I like to stick to my questions, if a note is added with DS230 to explain this name issue:

1. Would it help avoid receiving a RFE?

2. Would it draw their attention, which otherwise would go unnoticed?

hi..im just a lurker here because reading posts has helped my husband and i go through our visa journey. I am the "jaz" of davejaz42107 and i have a question regarding ds230. Can i download it and print it and fill it up handwritten? or does it really have to be filled up in the computer before printing? i hope someone can help me =)

oh, btw, i wrote my maiden name i the I130 form and for aliases i wrote my married name. i don't know if that's gonna confuse them too because at the ds230 it is clearly written to write maiden name on the second line...

sheeezzz...just filling out the forms makes me wanna pull all her hair out :P

Sent N400: Oct 27, 2011

NOA: Nov 1, 2011

Biometrics: Nov 16, 2011

Yellow letter date: 12/14/2011

Yellow letter received: 12/19/2011

hi..im just a lurker here because reading posts has helped my husband and i go through our visa journey. I am the "jaz" of davejaz42107 and i have a question regarding ds230. Can i download it and print it and fill it up handwritten? or does it really have to be filled up in the computer before printing? i hope someone can help me =)

oh, btw, i wrote my maiden name i the I130 form and for aliases i wrote my married name. i don't know if that's gonna confuse them too because at the ds230 it is clearly written to write maiden name on the second line...

The DS-230 can be filled out either way. Just make sure you print clearly if you fill it out by hand. Just go to the download page and print it without filling out on the computer.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

The DS-230 can be filled out either way. Just make sure you print clearly if you fill it out by hand. Just go to the download page and print it without filling out on the computer.

Thanks rjp44! :)

can u pls check out my list to send Dave for the ds230?

1. original copy of birth certificate x 1

2. original copy of the marriage certificate x 1

3. original copy of the police clearance

4. photocopy of the bio of passport

thanks so much!

thanks so much!

The list is complete, but I was just looking at the site for required paperwork and the NVC now required a photocopy of the first 3 in addition to the original/certified copy. You will also need another original/certified copy of each for the interview.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Shamim

I would just fill out the DS230 accurately and not call attention to any earlier mistake. Then make certain there is a paper trail at interview for any name changes.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Shamim

I would just fill out the DS230 accurately and not call attention to any earlier mistake. Then make certain there is a paper trail at interview for any name changes.

I agree with Pushbrk.

Shamim

I agree with Pushbrk.

Thanks for your inputs.

Do you guys think that I may get a RFE asking my explanation about the correction if they notice it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for your inputs.

Do you guys think that I may get a RFE asking my explanation about the correction if they notice it?

Probably not.

If they do notice it - they will have all your supporting documents with your wife's previous names etc, so they have the evidence to support your DS-230, it should not be an issue.

The bottom line is that that DS-230 will be correct and that is what they are looking at.

The thing is, no one here can really say how they will look at this. Are they even referencing the I-130 at the DS-230 stage? Maybe. The file information will be in their computer and they may cross-reference the information.

If it will make you more comfortable then you should send in an explanatory note with your DS-230 - chances are it won't make any difference but it might make you feel more at ease :)

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Thanks for your inputs.

Probably not.

If they do notice it - they will have all your supporting documents with your wife's previous names etc, so they have the evidence to support your DS-230, it should not be an issue.

The bottom line is that that DS-230 will be correct and that is what they are looking at.

The thing is, no one here can really say how they will look at this. Are they even referencing the I-130 at the DS-230 stage? Maybe. The file information will be in their computer and they may cross-reference the information.

If it will make you more comfortable then you should send in an explanatory note with your DS-230 - chances are it won't make any difference but it might make you feel more at ease :)

Doing so could prompt an additional name check for your wife. I'd skip it. There are worse things than RFE's. Your I-130 is already approved before it gets to NVC.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks for your inputs.

Probably not.

Doing so could prompt an additional name check for your wife. I'd skip it. There are worse things than RFE's. Your I-130 is already approved before it gets to NVC.

Pushbrk, I am little confused. Which one you would skip? Sending an explnatory note or putting maiden name in DS230 since it was "None" in I130 ? Please clarify. Thanks

Timeline
Thanks for your inputs.

Probably not.

Pushbrk, I am little confused. Which one you would skip? Sending an explnatory note or putting maiden name in DS230 since it was "None" in I130 ? Please clarify. Thanks

Skip the explanation. Just fill in the DS 230 accurately.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

thanks so much!

The list is complete, but I was just looking at the site for required paperwork and the NVC now required a photocopy of the first 3 in addition to the original/certified copy. You will also need another original/certified copy of each for the interview.

just letting you know that i sent Dave the documents with photocopies of each. Im so excited cuz i'm hoping i'll be with my husband before valentine's. We've missed a lot of holidays already =(

Thanks so much for all the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.