HomRaz

AOS interview in 2 weeks

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I'm very nervous for my husband's AOS interview. We had a small court ceremony in July so we could get the ball rolling. We have plans to travel to India at the end of December where we will have a large celebration for our wedding.

However, at present we have very little to substantiate a "bonafide" marriage. We aren't living together (He's on an L1B visa and cannot switch employers, I'm a college student and cannot transfer because the university near his place with my major requires a GPA I don't have.) We haven't gotten a chance to change our bank accounts to have joint accounts b/c we only see each other on the weekends (when banks are closed) and we were saving his days off so that he could take a long vacation in December.

We have few pictures of us alone (although we have lots group pictures of us and my family). The only thing we really have are the confirmation emails of the tickets he's booked to come see me (which is quite frequently) and also tickets from our recent trip to Chicago where we attended a conference (and didn't take pictures). My husband came here in 2006, but I had visited him during the summer for 3 years prior to that, what can we do to prove our relationship? I'm just so nervous. I don't want to ruin anything.

I have invitations for our celebration in India (which will be a religous ceremony followed by lunch), but that is not until Jan. Is it ok to mention/ show those?

I also am planning a celebration for June of 2008 for friends in the area and have booked a venue, would a contract for that and emails with the venue coordinator for that prove anything to them?

We have plans for the future, and when he moves to where I live, we'll be living together. . .

What can I do to make sure we don't mess this up? I'm a college student and this interview is the week before my finals, I want a good outcome with this so I can concentrate on my studies when I'm done.

Mostly I'm really nervous as to what I should expect. Does anyone have experience in a similar situation?

We have plans to travel to India at the end of December where we will have a large celebration for our wedding.

If you guys don't get your act together and get more proof of a bonafide marriage you may be staying in India permanently!

Excuses about not having time to open a joint account is BS when your lifes together are at stake.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
we have credit cards together. . .

That's a good start. Now you absolutely need to get on the ball and get a few more things. In my opinion, what you have right now is a little on the risky side. I'd try and get more joint liabilities, more things that involve money. My wife and I also got an Internet Phone Account with both of our names on it, a movie rental membership with both of our names, and a "Frequent Moviegoer" account with both of our names on it. Even if you live away from each other, these things shouldn't be too hard to get, and can be done online. The visits you make every weekend are good too.

I'm not saying you are doomed if you go as you are now, I can't make that assumption. I'm just saying that I personally would be concerned and get a few more articles. Even then, a big part of it is how you present yourself to the officer at the interview.

Good luck to you!!!

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband and I are living in two different states because he's on a J-1 visa and I can't uproot my son. As soon as he gets his EAD (hopefully within the next 30 days) we'll be living together, though.

Anyway, here's what we did:

joint bank account

joint credit cards

I put him on all the household bills

joint health insurance

Our lawyer seems to be comfortable with that, as are we. Thanks for reminding me, I still have to update our life insurance!

03-04 Met online

09-05 Finally meet in person

07-06-2007 MARRIED

10-19-2007 Package sent to Chicago

10-22-2007 Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

10-26-2007 NOA notice date

10-29-2007 NOA in my hot little hands

11-19-2007 Biometrics letter arrives for 12-13

12-13-2007 EAD card production ordered TWO HOURS AFTER BIOMETRICS APPT :)

04-02-2008 FINALLY our appointment and APPROVED ON THE SPOT THANK YOU GOD/GODDESS/EVERYONE

04-11-2008 Green Card arrives PHEW

I'm very nervous for my husband's AOS interview. We had a small court ceremony in July so we could get the ball rolling. We have plans to travel to India at the end of December where we will have a large celebration for our wedding.

However, at present we have very little to substantiate a "bonafide" marriage. We aren't living together (He's on an L1B visa and cannot switch employers, I'm a college student and cannot transfer because the university near his place with my major requires a GPA I don't have.) We haven't gotten a chance to change our bank accounts to have joint accounts b/c we only see each other on the weekends (when banks are closed) and we were saving his days off so that he could take a long vacation in December.

We have few pictures of us alone (although we have lots group pictures of us and my family). The only thing we really have are the confirmation emails of the tickets he's booked to come see me (which is quite frequently) and also tickets from our recent trip to Chicago where we attended a conference (and didn't take pictures). My husband came here in 2006, but I had visited him during the summer for 3 years prior to that, what can we do to prove our relationship? I'm just so nervous. I don't want to ruin anything.

I have invitations for our celebration in India (which will be a religous ceremony followed by lunch), but that is not until Jan. Is it ok to mention/ show those?

I also am planning a celebration for June of 2008 for friends in the area and have booked a venue, would a contract for that and emails with the venue coordinator for that prove anything to them?

We have plans for the future, and when he moves to where I live, we'll be living together. . .

What can I do to make sure we don't mess this up? I'm a college student and this interview is the week before my finals, I want a good outcome with this so I can concentrate on my studies when I'm done.

Mostly I'm really nervous as to what I should expect. Does anyone have experience in a similar situation?

I don't know what to say but I can share to you my experienced when I had my interviewed in USCIS. I only have marriage certificate, health insurance, pictures, car keys, and house keys proof of our "Bonafide Marriage"

I hope they will approved your application. Good luck!

Filed: Other Timeline

I think the best advice you have received so far is to get your bank accounts changed. The evidence you have so far can be true of roommates, friends etc. You really want to show how your lives are commingled, showing serious commitment.

The interviewing officer isn't going to be unreasonable. Obviously if you are a college student (and I'm assuming you are both young), they are not going to expect a house/kids etc. But they need SOMETHING to justify your approval.

Do(es) you(he) own a car? Can you put your husband(yourself) on your(his) insurance?

Does his work provide benefits? Have him add you as a dependent/beneficiary.

Did you have a civil ceremony? Have your witnesses sign a sworn affidavit.

Have your college roommate sign an affidavit. (I'm sure one of your friends must have met him by now!)

There are many things that you can do. Just start getting things together NOW.

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Filed: Timeline

HomRaz, I apologize for Haole's rude response. Please don't let it bother you.

With regard to the existing evidence you have, yes bring everything you have mentioned. It is all good evidence. The officer is a trained professional and will be able to detect fraud if he/she sees anything to be suspicious about. Your situation is not entirely unusual, as there have been others on here with the same type of circumstances. You have explained things here quite plausibly, and some of the other posters have given you good advice. I wish you all the best. (F)

iagree.gif

HomRaz, I apologize for Haole's rude response. Please don't let it bother you.

With regard to the existing evidence you have, yes bring everything you have mentioned. It is all good evidence. The officer is a trained professional and will be able to detect fraud if he/she sees anything to be suspicious about. Your situation is not entirely unusual, as there have been others on here with the same type of circumstances. You have explained things here quite plausibly, and some of the other posters have given you good advice. I wish you all the best. (F)

While wishing all the best is nice and dandy, we must be frank with ourselves. AOS interview is very important. Not all officers are that flexible. You are the one that has to bring the proof in to convince the officer that it is a true & geniune marriage. Even though they are trained to detect fraud, they might start to suspect stuff they shouldn't when there is a lack of evidence to back it up.

We had our AOS interview this past week, and our officer was nice & pleasant. She took all the supporting documents we had with us. Cell phone bills, bank statements, health insurance, life insurance, car insurance, car title in both names, and a stack of pictures she kept. I think getting a bank account going together is important, cause she mentioned to us to show her which was the first statement, and then the most current one. (to show it was opened soon after marriage).

Not all banks are closed on Saturdays, most have offices open with limited hours. If you can't make those, maybe try an internet bank?

12140.gif

Filed: Timeline

While wishing all the best is nice and dandy, we must be frank with ourselves. AOS interview is very important. Not all officers are that flexible. You are the one that has to bring the proof in to convince the officer that it is a true & geniune marriage. Even though they are trained to detect fraud, they might start to suspect stuff they shouldn't when there is a lack of evidence to back it up.

At no point did I say not to provide substantial evidence or that best wishes is all they require. Please do not twist the intent of my message.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Does anyone think that mentioning our religious ceremony that will be taking place in Jan. with our family present will hurt our chances?

How about Save the Date Cards for a celebration I'm planning in June for local friends? I know that people sometimes do a civil ceremony to get the ball rolling, but how does this affect the interview? Is ok to mention that?

Will I have an opportunity to explain the situation to the immigration officer? Or am I just supposed to answer the questions and nothing else?

Edited by HomRaz

We have plans to travel to India at the end of December where we will have a large celebration for our wedding.

If you guys don't get your act together and get more proof of a bonafide marriage you may be staying in India permanently!

Excuses about not having time to open a joint account is BS when your lifes together are at stake.

Good Lord. Try being a bit MORE rude the next time, eh?

to the OP - USCIS likes to see co-mingling of assets. Have you done that at all?

Edited by rebeccajo

It is a good idea to mention your big wedding at the interview... many, many, many, people have a civil ceremony and then have their "real" wedding later... The officer will understand. It will not hurt you in any way.. quite the opposite really.

It is great that you have all these plans but you really should concentrate on the financial aspects.

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Timeline
It is a good idea to mention your big wedding at the interview... many, many, many, people have a civil ceremony and then have their "real" wedding later... The officer will understand. It will not hurt you in any way.. quite the opposite really.

It is great that you have all these plans but you really should concentrate on the financial aspects.

I'm calling my financial planner first thing in the morning, so I can add him as a benificiary, I completely forgot about all those mutual funds and the life insurance policy my dad started for me.

Do you think adding it so close to the interview will raise red flags?

I'm calling my financial planner first thing in the morning, so I can add him as a benificiary, I completely forgot about all those mutual funds and the life insurance policy my dad started for me.

Do you think adding it so close to the interview will raise red flags?

Probably not. Two people in a fraudulent marriage wouldn't mingle assets at all. Ever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.