Nessa

The 20 worst foods in America

49 posts in this topic

I thought for sure that the Burger King Big Omelette Sandwich thingy would be on the list. That's got to be at least 1000 calories with 90 grams of fat in it.

07/18/2007: Married in Gretna Green, Scotland

08/29/2007: I-130 Application Recieved at NSC

12/21/2007: Received NOA1 from CSC

01/08/2008: Touched-Change of Address

2229.gif

.png

.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I didn't even know Jamba Juice sold anything "unhealthy'. I thought it was all fruit smoothies :blush:

Nah...they're just like that fad years ago ...remember when we had all those Fat Free snacks and desserts? Entenmann's had a bunch of ####### like that.

Well, sugar has no fat so all these low fat meals are actually higher in calories than a normal meal. Always read the labels.

You can easily eat out and stay healthy; just put things in proportion. If you eat red meat once a week you CAN have a steak when you eat out (not a 20oz humdinger though, obviously!), have it with loads of veggies and skip the starch if possible. Just be sensible, is all.

The healthy foods are there if you look for them and most restaurants will prepare your order for you just as you like it if you ask.

Timeline
Well, sugar has no fat so all these low fat meals are actually higher in calories than a normal meal. Always read the labels.

Yeah, I love it when they label jams and jelly a fat free food. That makes it all good.

That kind of stuff was HUGE in the UK. Fat-free yoghurt that has something like 8 teaspoons of sugar per pot....and so on. VJ sheesh!

Better living through delusion. :)

2229.gif

.png

.png

Is sure didn't realize just how bad some of these fast food items were :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Is sure didn't realize just how bad some of these fast food items were :blink:

You would think that Turkey burger would be relatively healthy. That floored me. :wacko:

2229.gif

.png

.png

Timeline
But the kicker is, if you don't burn off all the sugar you've eaten, it's stored as fat.

Let alone what it does to your insulin level!

Absolutely, my girl, abso-frickin-lutely. That's why it is all such a con. Don't fall for the hype and try to eat sensibly.

Mags,

who is eating an oreo. :blush:

Edited by Mags

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

As the mother of an insulin dependent diabetic...I've had to steer clear of eating out nearly all together. I cook nearly everything from scratch....but it's very expensive and time consuming. I think the sodium thread about the government intervening may be a wise idea because Americans just don't have the resources to make healthy choices at times. Especially if they are single parents and work most of the time..and have limited time to research things and have the access of education of what's healthy.

I'm thankful I've been blessed with a career that allows me to be home early enough to cook for my family. Sorry to ramble on....but this type of issue hits very close to home. My son's father died of complications related to Diabetes and I have 8 kids at the school where I work that are Diabetics. It's truly an epidemic!!! America HAS to change things..it's literally killing us!!!

"The course of true love never did run smooth" - William Shakespeare

K1:

10/29/05...met online

11/23/05...met in person for the first time in London, England

06/29/07...got engaged!

07/19/07...mailed I-129F via certified express overnight mail

08/02/07...check cashed

08/04/07...NOA1 received in mail

12/11/07...NOA2 issued from CRIS email!! YAY!

12/12/07...touch!

12/17/07...received hard copy of noa2

1/14/08.....file reaches NVC

1/28/08.....packet 3 received

2/29/08.....medical interview

4/01/08.....interview

04/03/08...visa in hand!!

04/14/08...POE JFK!

05/17/08...Wedding!

Adjustment of status

06/21/08...Mailed AOS,EAD, and AP paperwork

06/27/08...NOA1

07/17/08...Biometrics

07/29/08...Transferred to CSC

08/21/08...Touch I-485!

08/22/08...Touch I-485!

08/25/08...Received AP in the mail!

08/28/08...Received EAD in the mail!

08/29/08...Email from CRIS welcoming the new permanent resident! YAY!

09/06/08...Green card received in mail!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
As the mother of an insulin dependent diabetic...I've had to steer clear of eating out nearly all together. I cook nearly everything from scratch....but it's very expensive and time consuming. I think the sodium thread about the government intervening may be a wise idea because Americans just don't have the resources to make healthy choices at times. Especially if they are single parents and work most of the time..and have limited time to research things and have the access of education of what's healthy.

I'm thankful I've been blessed with a career that allows me to be home early enough to cook for my family. Sorry to ramble on....but this type of issue hits very close to home. My son's father died of complications related to Diabetes and I have 8 kids at the school where I work that are Diabetics. It's truly an epidemic!!! America HAS to change things..it's literally killing us!!!

Very interesting, Lisa. I wish you the best with your child. :star:

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The safest bet is to NOT eat out or limit the amount of times you eat at restaurants.

For the longest time, I've enjoyed going out to eat...to relax, not have to cook, clean up afterwards, but eating out isn't as convenient as it seems...you still spend gas (which is getting more expensive) to drive there. You have to wait to be seated or wait in line. Oftentimes, you order gets screwed up or is not satisfactory and then of course the sh!tload of fat, sodium and sugar that is in the food.

Eating at home is becoming more appealing to me.

Geez Steven. What a Scrooge!:huh:

Not true. Eating out can be healthy if it's not ####### food! And if you make smart choices.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy eating out...but when I break it down to the reasons why I think I enjoy it over staying home and cooking, those reasons just crumble. There are definitely healthier restaurants out there, but for most of them it really is a ####### shoot.

There are plenty of great restaurants - NON CHAIN - in LA that are very good & healthy. Non chains have smaller portions too. I'll probably eat out tonight! :)

For instance I have never had the carl's $6 burger or a 1/3 McDs burger - that is nasty. There's prolly more ####### in some processed/pre-packaged foods you buy at Ralph's than at the Thai takeout down the road.

For sure. I've been trying to eat canned tuna for lunch, but today I had to get out of the office, so I went with my co-worker to El Pollo Loco because he thought it would 'healthier' than other choices out there. :P When it comes to fast food, I wish more places would offer healthier foods. Even Chipotle (which seems to be wildly popular these days) isn't necessarily healthier than Taco Hell...at least when it comes to fat, sodium and calorie content.

Try Tuna Creations. The little pouches make a great lunch. The hickory smoked one is great.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

thats pretty bad. i've been chefs in restaurants (but not these kinda, more fine dining kinds) and you would never believe how much butter and oil we put in everything if you saw it with your own eyes.

if you really are committed to staying thin and healthy its best to specifically say NO BUTTER, cheese, oil, etc on your foods. even that might not necessarily help. i've worked with people who had an order that said "no butter" and they used it anyway. *sigh*

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg