3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a Canadian citizen you don't need a visa to enter the USA, nor remain for the 6 months. Just use your Canadian passport. Remember, you're going to be asked questions as to who you're going to be visiting etc. and you'll want to have ties to Canada (in writing) to prove you intend to return. You might have trouble with that if you're giving up your residency, and maybe won't have a lease agreement? If you're going down for six months, maybe you're not working right now? You're going to need some type of documentation, if you're asked, to prove that you intend to return.

Another concern, perhaps depending on the province, is your health coverage for yourself. Are you covered for the full 6 months? You might want to look at additional health coverage for your stay.

Like everyone else has said here, don't stay past your six months. I see that you've mentioned you'll go back to New Brunswick to await the rest of the journey. You'll be going through the Montreal Consulate at that point. You won't be able to return to the USA until you have your Visa by then as you'll have been in the US too long by then to return until it's finished.

Best of luck on your journey!

Carla (F)

Bringing Carla's post back as this is the answer to the OP's question.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Other Timeline
So derail a thread since somehow a poster does not *get* a law? One post calmly stating again, this information is wholly incorrect was all that was needed, instead we have a thread that has declined. If the intent was to make a point at sacrificing an educational opportunity, that I see what the deal is.

If we don't stumble across the posts that are OTT, then we often do not see these kinds of posts. You need to let us know, however correcting misinformation lies with the members as a whole.

I derailed nothing. I responded to a post in the thread. An insulting accusatory post.

This isn't a question of someone not 'getting' a law. This is a question of someone with an opinion he wants to impose on everybody else because he's BITTER the option isn't available to him.

I wasn't in the mood to hit the PM button and let you know he had been a 'bad boy'. He's a grown up with grown-up opinions that he doesn't mind spreading all over the place. Just thought I'd share mine with him.

I would jus like to say that i married my husband and dint intend on it when he came here but does anyone see that as fraud or are they saying its fraud because she is coming to states knowing she is intending on staying here ? if that made sense ...lol

The only person saying it is fraud is one poster.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
If you're a Canadian citizen you don't need a visa to enter the USA, nor remain for the 6 months. Just use your Canadian passport. Remember, you're going to be asked questions as to who you're going to be visiting etc. and you'll want to have ties to Canada (in writing) to prove you intend to return. You might have trouble with that if you're giving up your residency, and maybe won't have a lease agreement? If you're going down for six months, maybe you're not working right now? You're going to need some type of documentation, if you're asked, to prove that you intend to return.

Another concern, perhaps depending on the province, is your health coverage for yourself. Are you covered for the full 6 months? You might want to look at additional health coverage for your stay.

Like everyone else has said here, don't stay past your six months. I see that you've mentioned you'll go back to New Brunswick to await the rest of the journey. You'll be going through the Montreal Consulate at that point. You won't be able to return to the USA until you have your Visa by then as you'll have been in the US too long by then to return until it's finished.

Best of luck on your journey!

Carla (F)

Bringing Carla's post back as this is the answer to the OP's question.

Jen

Thanks, Jen. Onwards, everyone! :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

oh ok , hence the argument... i'd jus like to say im sure everyone situation is different we are all here for support right ? from ppl going through or who has done the same thing we are doing .

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow who knew my very first post would stir up such a ruckus? I signed on from last night and saw 6 posts go to 37!

I will definitely check out the FAQ and give it a good reading..I'm pretty familiar with documents and proof needed to prove ties to your own country when staying in another for such a length of time, as we also have the same process here in Canada that I've been reading about in good length. So far any information I know pertains to Canada, as the original plan was to bring my fiance here.

I'm glad to know that staying there for under six months won't pose a problem, thanks for clearing that up for me everyone.

Now it's my turn to offer the board some advice: TEAM = Together Everyone Achieves More

There i just spent ten minutes on a webpage to find a team quote that wasn't too cheesy.

Filed: Timeline
Now it's my turn to offer the board some advice: TEAM = Together Everyone Achieves More

There i just spent ten minutes on a webpage to find a team quote that wasn't too cheesy.

Wow, I'd have hated to read the cheesy ones. :) :)

You'll find VJ'ers to be a feisty community, and occasionally there will be some flare ups. Don't be too concerned, it happens. You got some good advice despite the side-track. :) Best of luck to you both!

Best of luck to you guys! :)(F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Wow, I'd have hated to read the cheesy ones. :) :)

You'll find VJ'ers to be a feisty community, and occasionally there will be some flare ups. Don't be too concerned, it happens. You got some good advice despite the side-track. :) Best of luck to you both!

wow, nicely put coming from one of the biggest flamers :thumbs:

magicscarf: everything will be fine, you got excellent advice on here, and hope to see you around alot more :)

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline

magicscarf: everything will be fine, you got excellent advice on here, and hope to see you around alot more :)

???

What is your problem Ionescu? How on earth does *anyone* interpret that as a flame? Should I have added more happy faces?

Can any other VJ staff members answer why Ionescu, a VJ staff member, continues to mount personal attacks on the membership?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

???

What is your problem Ionescu? How on earth does *anyone* interpret that as a flame? Should I have added more happy faces?

Can any other VJ staff members answer why Ionescu, a VJ staff member, continues to mount personal attacks on the membership?

She's not staff, she's volunteer.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.