MagicScarf

Canadian wants to stay in America - urgent

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this, with a lot of reading to do and subsequently a lot of questions as well.

I have a bit of an urgent situation coming up that I could use some help with...

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Toronto, Ontario with a fiance living in Des Moines, Iowa (A few hours from Chicago).

For Christmas, I have a plane ticket to go visit him on December 15th, staying until January 5th, and while together would like to figure out and send the K1 Visa application.

For personal reasons my living situation in Toronto is becoming increasingly unbearable, and I'm not sure how much more I can handle.. so we have been talking about me living with him and his family while we wait for the application to go through. They would provide for me until the fiance visa is approved, and then I would submit the necessary paperwork required to work.

So I suppose my question is this: Am I allowed to stay with him and his family while we are waiting for the application to be accepted? I would go there in December, and cancel the return part of my ticket.

All paperwork that might need to be sent to a Canadian address could be sent to my parents house, and they could send it to me in Iowa to fill out and return. (If this is correct, I still have a lot of reading to do).

There are probably reasons I would have to go back to Canada, such as the interview, which I could come back for, and then return to Iowa.

I need to figure this out so that I can know whether this vacation coming up in three weeks will turn into a permanent stay during our waiting period.

I'm also wondering how many back and forth trips I should expect to make during a process like this.

Sorry if this is a bit overwhelming or confusing to follow..

But thanks so much for any information.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fiance visa takes a long time to process. At London the embassy is pretty quick (around 2 months) and the whole thing took around 8-9 months. I don't know where your parents live but I believe the Montreal embassy takes closer to 5 or 6 months which would make the process longer than 8 months. I am not sure what the situation is for Canadians and the US but I believe that the US frowns upon visitors staying longer than 6 months out of a year and you may be stopped at the border and asked for proof of ties to Canada and if you have none then you might be turned back.

If you do decide to visit and stay for the maximum allowed time then make sure that you do not overstay because that can result in a ban that you would have to file a waiver to overcome.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this, with a lot of reading to do and subsequently a lot of questions as well.

I have a bit of an urgent situation coming up that I could use some help with...

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Toronto, Ontario with a fiance living in Des Moines, Iowa (A few hours from Chicago).

For Christmas, I have a plane ticket to go visit him on December 15th, staying until January 5th, and while together would like to figure out and send the K1 Visa application.

For personal reasons my living situation in Toronto is becoming increasingly unbearable, and I'm not sure how much more I can handle.. so we have been talking about me living with him and his family while we wait for the application to go through. They would provide for me until the fiance visa is approved, and then I would submit the necessary paperwork required to work.

So I suppose my question is this: Am I allowed to stay with him and his family while we are waiting for the application to be accepted? I would go there in December, and cancel the return part of my ticket.

All paperwork that might need to be sent to a Canadian address could be sent to my parents house, and they could send it to me in Iowa to fill out and return. (If this is correct, I still have a lot of reading to do).

There are probably reasons I would have to go back to Canada, such as the interview, which I could come back for, and then return to Iowa.

I need to figure this out so that I can know whether this vacation coming up in three weeks will turn into a permanent stay during our waiting period.

I'm also wondering how many back and forth trips I should expect to make during a process like this.

You can stay for six months but the visa process will probably take longer than that. You must not overstay. Being granted entry a second time without remaining ties to Canada or the K1 visa is iffy if you've already been in the USA six months, so you may ned to make other living arrangements in Canada to wait out the remainder of the visa process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

If you enter with intention of not leaving, you are committing fraud. Do you think we would all just be waiting for the process, apart, if it were legal to fraudulantly use a tourist visa for a purpose other than a round trip?

Hello Everyone,

Filed: Timeline
Hello Everyone,

The advise by pushbrk is correct. You can stay in the US for up to 6 months, but then it will be necessary for you to return to Canada (at some point you would interview in Montreal or Vancouver). The current wait times in Montreal are from 4-6 months from the moment your case is finished at NVC and the time you get an interview. DO NOT overstay your visa - I can't stress this enough. Some members go back and forth to visit while their case is being processed, but each time they have to prove ties to Canada and be lucky enough to have a port of entry officer who's in a good mood. Sorry to hear about your situation in Toronto, my heart goes out to you.

Good luck in your journey, L.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the information, I am going to stay maximum six months, and the remainder of the wait can be done in my hometown in new brunswick with my fiance by my side.

I don't have a special Visa to enter the states for the six month stay as I didn't think Canadians were required to have one? I do own a regular visa, but not a visitors visa.

I will probably make my stay about five and a half months just to be on the safe side.

Should this pose a problem if I stay for under six months, and without a visa?

I don't intend on committing fraud or anything of the like as I read in one post, I really do want to make sure I do this the right way so that it doesn't throw a cog in the wheel later down the road.

If you're a Canadian citizen you don't need a visa to enter the USA, nor remain for the 6 months. Just use your Canadian passport. Remember, you're going to be asked questions as to who you're going to be visiting etc. and you'll want to have ties to Canada (in writing) to prove you intend to return. You might have trouble with that if you're giving up your residency, and maybe won't have a lease agreement? If you're going down for six months, maybe you're not working right now? You're going to need some type of documentation, if you're asked, to prove that you intend to return.

Another concern, perhaps depending on the province, is your health coverage for yourself. Are you covered for the full 6 months? You might want to look at additional health coverage for your stay.

Like everyone else has said here, don't stay past your six months. I see that you've mentioned you'll go back to New Brunswick to await the rest of the journey. You'll be going through the Montreal Consulate at that point. You won't be able to return to the USA until you have your Visa by then as you'll have been in the US too long by then to return until it's finished.

Best of luck on your journey!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
If you enter with intention of not leaving, you are committing fraud. Do you think we would all just be waiting for the process, apart, if it were legal to fraudulantly use a tourist visa for a purpose other than a round trip?

But she intends to leave and thus is not committing fraud. She clearly stated that she wants to stay in the US as long as she can while the I-129f and K1 is processing and will return to Canada for medical and interview. The scenario she described is not fraud.

She is merely asking questions to determine what she can and cannot do before she makes a decision, which seem perfectly reasonable and responsible.

I find it offensive for you to immediately jump to the conclusion that she is intending to commit fraud.

Edited by julezabelle

Filed: Other Timeline

D&N, your little crusade is becoming increasingly annoying.

Do us all a favor and shut the hell up.

D&N, your little crusade is becoming increasingly annoying.

Do us all a favor and shut the hell up.

:thumbs:deadhorse.jpg

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

hmm

there are many comments - and people - here which frequently annoy me, but I didn't think that gave me carte blanche to be rude to them

perhaps I should reconsider this rather naive belief

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

It's not the annoyance factor that's an issue... The issue is the bandwagon of inaccurate information that's being proliferated as fact.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Regardless of whether or not the information is presented in a hateful manner, it does not help when people respond in a similar way. Two wrongs do not make a right, however frustrated you may feel. Any issues people may have with others should be taken to PM and report forum bad behaviour to the mods. Thanks.

Edited by Mags

Filed: Other Timeline
Regardless of whether or not the information is presented in a hateful manner, it does not help when people respond in a similar way. Two wrongs do not make a right, however frustrated you may feel. Any issues people may have with others should be taken to PM and report forum bad behaviour to the mods. Thanks.

Sorry my friend but that doesn't cut it with me.

The poster in question has an obvious problem with persons adjusting status from within the US. He doesn't hesitate to offend with his comments, which are obviously based on his inability to do the very thing he chastises against.

When someone is rude to others in a social setting, do those suffering the behavior need run get someone in 'authority'- or just handle the person in the manner they are dishing out? My experience is the best way to handle a clod is to give them a taste of their own medicine.

You tell me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.