one...two...tree

Warren Buffett to Congress: Keep Taxing the Mega-Rich

27 posts in this topic

Gary, donating money to a charity isn't a tax shelter because he's not going to see any of that money again.

I wouldn't call that hypcritical at all... his argument is against high concentration of wealth, handed down generationally, which leads to aristocracy. So, a billionaire like him can choose to let his inheritance be taxed or he can donate it charity - a great system that works. :)

He made a lot of his money from buying up companies that got hit with the death tax. Of course he wants it to continue. Buffett is a #######.

Filed: Timeline
Double taxation is unfair and wrong.

Don't look now but you're being multiple taxed each and every day, my friend. You pay sales tax, gas tax, wheel tax, tobacco tax (where applicable), alcohol tax (where applicable), etc, etc. with your already taxed earned dollar. Each and every day.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Gary, donating money to a charity isn't a tax shelter because he's not going to see any of that money again.

I wouldn't call that hypcritical at all... his argument is against high concentration of wealth, handed down generationally, which leads to aristocracy. So, a billionaire like him can choose to let his inheritance be taxed or he can donate it charity - a great system that works. :)

He made a lot of his money from buying up companies that got hit with the death tax. Of course he wants it to continue. Buffett is a #######.

You think his sole motivation is money? :unsure:

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Double taxation is unfair and wrong.

Don't look now but you're being multiple taxed each and every day, my friend. You pay sales tax, gas tax, wheel tax, tobacco tax (where applicable), alcohol tax (where applicable), etc, etc. with your already taxed earned dollar. Each and every day.

On top of that , the taxes that a Company passes on. The guy hauling goods isn't going to pay the gas tax , the tax gets passed it to me.

Whenever I hear some say raise the taxes on oil companies I cringe. The extra costs involved in Government Mandated Renewable energy won't hurt Energy Companies one bit. Companies will just charge me more for their service.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

No it isn't. The guy has a bit of decency. He believes that a tax system such as ours which allows him to pay a lower effective tax rate than his secretary is fundamentally unfair. I tend to agree.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Whenever I hear some say raise the taxes on oil companies I cringe. The extra costs involved in Government Mandated Renewable energy won't hurt Energy Companies one bit. Companies will just charge me more for their service.

Stupidity, I agree. Oil companies are in trouble in the US anyway, since they pay spot prices for a lot of their oil. The Saudis, Russians and Iranians are the ones making the big bucks. US Oil companies are getting the crumbs. Their exploration costs are much higher, they need the profits to invest in exploiting the old fields they have.

Renewable energy will happen when it is economically viable, which is when carbon-based fuel prices rise above what alternative sources cost. Calling them carbon-based sources is a lie anyway, the energy comes from hydrogen, the carbon is a by-product.

Until that happens, alternative sources are probably WORSE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. The reason being that much of their expense is the energy required to create them. If a windmill takes 5,000 bbls of oil to produce and install and will replace 4,000 bbls of oil over it's lifetime, is it good for the environment? Of course not. Ditto with hybrid cars. While they may consume less oil over their service life, they consume more oil to produce. People buy them to feel good about themselves, not to help the environment. If they really were better for the environment, they would not require subsidies for people to buy them. They would sell themselves through cost savings.

As an engineer, I can tell you that most of the cost of manufactured goods is related to energy. More expensive things usually cost more because they take more enegery to produce. Labor is also a factor, but with things like cars, it is mostly the same for every car.

When alternative fuels are more efficient than their carbon counterparts, people will happily switch to them to save money. Remember, when oil was cheap, no one wanted nuclear power. Now that it is pricey, everyone does.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

If you don't I have a bridge for sale.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
"The average 30 year old making $100,000 a year." Brother you have no idea of what average is.

$100k a year is still in the top 3% of earners in this country.

:blink: *pats self on back*

that should annoy alex :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

No it isn't. The guy has a bit of decency. He believes that a tax system such as ours which allows him to pay a lower effective tax rate than his secretary is fundamentally unfair. I tend to agree.

He is free to write an extra check to the government out of his sense of fair play. I doubt if we see that though.

Estate taxes are fundamentally unfair - essentially it amounts to taxing money that was already taxed. While I'm sure it is a loophole for the super-rich (lets face it - one of many), in Britain at least its the general public who get reamed when a relative dies.

When my parents pass - I'm the sole next of kin. I dread to think how much I'll get from the estate - probably not a lot. Not only would I get hit with inheritance tax, but if my parents were to end up in a care home before then, the local authority has carte-blanche to seize their assets to pay for the residential care.

true dat

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

He is free to write an extra check to the government out of his sense of fair play. I doubt if we see that though.

That's hardly the point, Gary. Nice try dodging the issue, though. ;)