aidan80

Non USC - Oath of Allegiance...

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What do we do as non citizens when in public, at a ceremony or event where everyone does the oath to the flag? What do you do? I just kind of stood there with my hands behind by back and remained quite. I can’t exactly swear an oath to a flag that isn’t my own… yet I don’t want to show disrespect to anyone else present?

These types of events really point out the immigrants in the crowd that haven’t a clue what to do, where to look or what to think? :unsure:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Aiden...

Interesting question and having been at a function where such a thing did actually occur I can tell you that personally i stood for the anthem/pledge. I was visiting at the time and was not in process of applying for any visa's - having said that I did get a few looks - but no one said anything.

Had I have been challenged i would have politely pointed out I am a visitor and a UK citizen - I would certainly not expect or require a non uk citizen to be singing the national anthem of Great Britain when visiting or residing in UK unless they become citizens

Filed: Other Timeline

"official" protocol on pledging the flag

All persons present except those in uniform should face the flag and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. Those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove their headdress (hat) with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You do what every president does when visiting other countries, you stand up politely and look straight ahead like a deer in headlights. Now if you want to do what President Bush does, just stand there with a blank look on your face. Oh wait, that's an everyday look for him.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

You do what every president does when visiting other countries, you stand up politely and look straight ahead like a deer in headlights. Now if you want to do what President Bush does, just stand there with a blank look on your face. Oh wait, that's an everyday look for him.

Diana

:lol: this made my day!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Diana

This I think answers it.... I just give the :huh: face and stand there... :lol:

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a USC friend once who on Canada Day screamed the "Star Spangled Banner" above the rest of us celebrating Canucks who were singing "Oh Canada"...

:whistle:

But I do have a cute story about the Pledge...

The last visit we had with my husband's children they (ages 6&4) were showing their grandparents how well they could pledge allegiance.. They were so cute standing up there with their hands on their hearts..

They both took a turn at it then they turned to me and said "Michelle, now it's your turn!!".. I stood there and turned bright red.. how do you explain I don't even KNOW the pledge!! :)

Ahh the inlaws had a great laugh at me that day!! Soooo cute..

I just stand respectfully while people pledge.. I respect what it stands for, but it's not something I repeat personally.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Timeline

I like a good singsong like the next man but my allegiance is to Great Britain and her oversesa dependences, however when a former colony wants to raise it's flag and give a bit of the old pomp and circumstance then as a guest with a Green Card I'll do my bit to fit in. Don't want to border on the sychophantical and go too far by learning all the lyrics, raise a toast and do a bit of back slapping with the buddy next to me. That would be too over the top.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I like a good singsong like the next man but my allegiance is to Great Britain and her oversesa dependences, however when a former colony wants to raise it's flag and give a bit of the old pomp and circumstance then as a guest with a Green Card I'll do my bit to fit in. Don't want to border on the sychophantical and go too far by learning all the lyrics, raise a toast and do a bit of back slapping with the buddy next to me. That would be too over the top.

Ah this is a great post :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

I recall a business trip from when I was still living in Toronto, and the company was US based. At this particular event, there were people from both countries, and oddly, more Canadians knew the words to the Star Spangled Banner than did Americans! Gotta love sporting events where they put them both up on the giant pixel board! ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I recall a business trip from when I was still living in Toronto, and the company was US based. At this particular event, there were people from both countries, and oddly, more Canadians knew the words to the Star Spangled Banner than did Americans! Gotta love sporting events where they put them both up on the giant pixel board! ;)

I know it. That's the one thing I watch out for during the Olympics. Every time an American is up there with their medal they just start mumbling it away. Shame, shame. :no:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Yeah, I stand to attention when the oath of allegiance is being said. But when the US anthem is sung, I sing along with heartfelt sincerity. Even though I am not a citizen and don't intend to naturalize, I love this country and its anthem. :)

:thumbs: Good for you! When I was a kid everyone stood to attention and put their hand over their heart as they faced the flag and listend to or sang along with the ahthem. Whatever happened to that? :unsure:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah, I stand to attention when the oath of allegiance is being said. But when the US anthem is sung, I sing along with heartfelt sincerity. Even though I am not a citizen and don't intend to naturalize, I love this country and its anthem. :)

:thumbs: Good for you! When I was a kid everyone stood to attention and put their hand over their heart as they faced the flag and listend to or sang along with the ahthem. Whatever happened to that? :unsure:

Good question. I still sing the anthem when I am at a hockey game or other event. Of course I also sing the Canadian national anthem as well. It's a beautiful song and so much easier to remember! :lol:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.