SimoFati

brake changing price!!!!!!!

31 posts in this topic

I went for an oil change this mornning, and was surprised with an estimate of over 600 dollars to change my brackes.don t get me wrong I had my car for the past 6 years and never had them changed,but over 600 dollars for that is tooooooooo much..

so far i have no problems with my brakes so and of course i told them let me think about it and come back. sure no way jose!!!!!

i went to work and talked one of my guys coworkers who checked my car and said yes you need them changed but it shouldn t cost that much...you know i start researching this brake deal online and come to find out the brakes on my estimate are 73.45 when i can buy them for 35.53 at pepboys!!!!! i only need 2 of those. i haven t found the price on disc brake rotor, but i am sure they wont be 52.95 for sure. I found a guide online as to how to change the brakes and sure doesn t look that hard.

i plan on getting more estimates from other locations, I am just mad as i feel these people can just double or triple the price and not even feel bad about it?!!

Speaking as an almost certified mechanic...WOW!! First, you should be using one mechanic to do all the work on you car. Someone you can trust. And that is the rub. Chain type stores (no names) have higher overhead than a privately operated store. If you are in middle georgia I can recommend a couple of good, honest mechanics. :)

Brake pads--don't buy the cheapest--about 30-40 dollars for GOOD brake pads.

don't forget the rear brakes either.

Rotors-the part the pads wear against-can run from 20-100 dollars. depends on the car.

Check your brake fluid--if it is brown, it needs to be flushed. Recommend flushing every 2 or 3 years to keep ABS compnents happy. (30-40 dollars).

Always replace both sides when doing brakes or the car may pull severely.

Having been to tech school and having done probably 100 brake jobs, it is easy for me to say it is easy. :) Do you have the proper tools? Do you have the proper equipment (jack, jackstands, etc.)? There is a world of difference between a car that stops and a car that stops right.

We just did the brakes front and rear on my son's s-10 (cheapest brake parts ever!). New calipers, new wheel cylinders, new rear drums, new pads in front and new shoes in back, new master cylinder. Total parts=about 100 dollars. But, it too, two of us over three hours to do the work. It was a bear. 3X2=6 6X$45 hour = $300 + $100 parts =$400 total IF we had taken it to a shop. Find someone around you that owns tools, knows how to use them and see if they would like to earn 50 or 100 dollars to do your brakes. That is a fair price for labor in my book. A home cooked meal if he/she is divorce/single is a nice gesture in addition to the money!

So, yes you can do it yourself but...the fact that you said you only need two pads has me worried. Your car has to stop, watch someone do your brakes and then decide if this is something you want to get involved in.

Yes, he is taking advantage of you....IMHO I can't think of enough parts to replace that would add up to that!!

Really sorta depends on where you are too. Here in Northern VA the hourly rate for mechanics is about $90! :help:

Definitely should have become a mechanic and not a curator. :lol:

for the record, the mechanic if he is lucky will see no more than %50 of that $90.....

issues there.I asked them if it would be okay to still use them for a long distance and they told me that as soon as i hear a squeky noise i have to get them changed. i am just furious ;) of the price :(

The squeeky noise they are describing is the wear indicator on the pad. It is a piece of metal that rubs agains the rotor after the pad is worn down, telling you that you have about 3 to 5,000 miles left to get the pads replaced. I bend it back with a screwdriver when I hear the noise, and then remember to replace the pads and rotors (German cars don't usually let you machine rotors, new ones every time..) in about 2000 miles.

So if she's only just heard the squealing noise and hasn't ignored it for too long (as I did :blush: ), should she be okay with just a set of pads? I know I went metal-to-metal for a while and the rotor damage was my own fault, but isn't the purpose of the noise to prevent the need for new rotors every time if you heed the warning? Or does that depend on the car?

The squealers--the little fingers that drag on the rotor--may not sound off when they should. Could be bent, could be missing...who knows, we all should inspect our brake pads any time the tires come off.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

issues there.I asked them if it would be okay to still use them for a long distance and they told me that as soon as i hear a squeky noise i have to get them changed. i am just furious ;) of the price :(

The squeeky noise they are describing is the wear indicator on the pad. It is a piece of metal that rubs agains the rotor after the pad is worn down, telling you that you have about 3 to 5,000 miles left to get the pads replaced. I bend it back with a screwdriver when I hear the noise, and then remember to replace the pads and rotors (German cars don't usually let you machine rotors, new ones every time..) in about 2000 miles.

So if she's only just heard the squealing noise and hasn't ignored it for too long (as I did :blush: ), should she be okay with just a set of pads? I know I went metal-to-metal for a while and the rotor damage was my own fault, but isn't the purpose of the noise to prevent the need for new rotors every time if you heed the warning? Or does that depend on the car?

i haven t heard any noises yet...he told me that my brake are wore out and that there is only 10 to 15% left

and so they need to be replaced.

when I asked what is the distance I can still use the car without problems he said about a 1000 miles.keep in consederations I haven t heard my brakes squealing noises yet or seen the brake problem light yet.

i posted earlier that i need a brakee pads but actualy i need the rotors too. i thought the whole thing is the same :innocent: . i called pepboys and asked about the cost of replacing the pads and the rotors and was told 243 dollars :whistle: .now I am getting somewhere..I stilll need to have them inspect it first..who know what they will come up with :unsure:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes, it's an easy job to do. All you need is a C clam, ranch & socket set I prefere Husky, new brake pads buy the ceramic ones those are good, metallic ones are cheap, but would destroy your rotors, get you rotors resufaced if your feel a vibration on you steering wheel when depressing brakes.

That it!

I went for an oil change this mornning, and was surprised with an estimate of over 600 dollars to change my brackes.don t get me wrong I had my car for the past 6 years and never had them changed,but over 600 dollars for that is tooooooooo much..

so far i have no problems with my brakes so and of course i told them let me think about it and come back. sure no way jose!!!!!

i went to work and talked one of my guys coworkers who checked my car and said yes you need them changed but it shouldn t cost that much...you know i start researching this brake deal online and come to find out the brakes on my estimate are 73.45 when i can buy them for 35.53 at pepboys!!!!! i only need 2 of those. i haven t found the price on disc brake rotor, but i am sure they wont be 52.95 for sure. I found a guide online as to how to change the brakes and sure doesn t look that hard.

i plan on getting more estimates from other locations, I am just mad as i feel these people can just double or triple the price and not even feel bad about it?!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This is a far easier job with help, especially someone who has done it at least once. Usually it is just 2 hex wrenches and a C Clamp.

You really do want the rotors at least machined every time you change the pads. The pads last longer this way, braking is more even, etc. If they are cheap enough and you don't want to leave the car on jackstands for a day (or you can't find a machine shop to do it), just buy new ones. You can have the current set turned later and have them for the next time.

Most likely you are fine. Again, this all depends on the car. There are specifications for how much wear is acceptable for the rotor, so even if there isn't metal-to-metal contact, the rotor can still be out of spec and in need of replacement. In the case of my car, the manufacturer calls for replacement every time the pads are changed. From the dealer, my pads run about $250 each, plus about $1,000 for each rotor - this all depends heavily on the car, with German cars by far being the most expensive. American cars are the cheapest. Drilled Slotted 15" rotors will obviously be much more expensive than stock rotors for a Corolla.

Definitely check the rear pads and rotors too. On most cars, rear discs last about twice as long as the front ones. I don't think I've ever worn out drums, but then again, I doubt I will every buy a car with rear drum breaks again.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

DIY. The brake/muffler places are such a rip-off.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline

DIY. The brake/muffler places are such a rip-off.

Especially if you're a female and they think they can pull a fast one on you. Friend of mine, years back, took her ole' Toyota to a Muffler place 'cause it made all kinds of loud noises. They quoted her - if memory serves correctly - $350.00 some odd for what would essentially have amounted to a new exhaust system. I looked at it and could have sworn it wasn't but a gasket that was blown. Took it to another shop where they replaced said gasket in 15 min flat for $25.00. It's ridiculous how some of those places try and rip people off...

I did that once at Sears. They wanted $450 to do the brakes including replacing the rotors. I did the work myself and had the rotors turned at a parts place and spent a whopping 18 bucks and that included the grease for packing the bearings.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

When my coworker changed my rotors... One had made noise. Then the noise stopped. When he removed the wheel -- well, the rotor is like two plates stuck together like a sandwich with sort of fins in the middle to cool it, right? When he removed the wheel, the outer plate was nowhere to be found. Just the inner plate with the fins exposed remained. I'd love to know where I dropped that plate.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

I just came back from tire discounters,they want 199 dollars to change the ceramic pads the rotors and clean the back discs. anyway I live like 3mn away from the place and I figured it is a good deal so told them to chage them. it is sure way less than 600..the problem is how do i know they did what they said they would :unsure:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

$600 does sound like a lot. I had to replace all 4 of mine a few months ago. The cost of the parts I needed was $120. My brother did all the labor for me.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Marry an ex-car mechanic, I did. :lol:

Car repairs *sigh* we just had to fork out $300 to stop the engine falling out. Hubby can't do that himself as they have to support the engine on a special lift. Then the idle needs replacing, that's another $250.

Edited by Mags

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Marry an ex-car mechanic, I did. :lol:

Car repairs *sigh* we just had to fork out $300 to stop the engine falling out. Hubby can't do that himself as they have to support the engine on a special lift. Then the idle needs replacing, that's another $250.

Or have a brother that does it. Best of both worlds......he can help me out for the cost of a 12 pack and I don't have to clean any grease off the sink after.

Birthday and Christmas presents lately have been IOU's for car repairs. It's been really nice.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I just came back from tire discounters,they want 199 dollars to change the ceramic pads the rotors and clean the back discs. anyway I live like 3mn away from the place and I figured it is a good deal so told them to chage them. it is sure way less than 600..the problem is how do i know they did what they said they would :unsure:

they should have offered to give you the old parts, which is one way to tell. another is by driving it and seeing if the problem still exists. lastly, eyeball the new pads - easy to do with most vehicle rims.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

they should have offered to give you the old parts, which is one way to tell. another is by driving it and seeing if the problem still exists. lastly, eyeball the new pads - easy to do with most vehicle rims.

they haven t offered yet since they are still working on the car. I learned my lesson. I willl make sure they show me if I don t notice the changes. I know they were a little rusted..so I assume they shouldn t be anymore..

I am thinking about taking some kind of automobille class just so I won t be taking advantage of :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

they haven t offered yet since they are still working on the car. I learned my lesson. I willl make sure they show me if I don t notice the changes. I know they were a little rusted..so I assume they shouldn t be anymore..

I am thinking about taking some kind of automobille class just so I won t be taking advantage of :angry:

assuming the back brakes are drum, it's not easy to show that - they have to take off the wheel and drum to do that. the front pads are easy to spot. also inquire about a warranty if you have not already. most places warranty the work for at least 90 days.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!