Togun

What countries do I need police record from?

13 posts in this topic

Ok, for some reason I can't find clear/direct answers to this question. I have read, read and read! So accept my apologies if this question has been answered already.

Intro: I was born in Nigeria and was living there, for years, after the age of 16. I am a UK citizen, I am currently and have been based in London the last 10 years.

Question: Please could anyone tell me if I need a police record from both the UK (London) and Nigeria or do I need one from just the UK?

I have read the list/requirements at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html But it is not clear to me.

Help please! :innocent::help:

You need both.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

You need both.

John, thanks for the response.

I just read through the requirements again and also came to the same conclusion.

I guess now I can take some time off work and make the expensive trip home to Nigeria for it. Thanks again

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
You need both.

I just read through the requirements again and also came to the same conclusion.

I guess now I can take some time off work and make the expensive trip home to Nigeria for it. Thanks again

I would think that you should be able to get one thru the nearest Nigerian Consulate or thru the embassy.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

You need both.

You don't have to go to Nigeria to get it.

POLICE RECORD

Available, including for those living abroad. The Nigerian police force no longer accepts requests made through the American Embassy. Requests should be addressed to The Deputy Inspector General, Criminal Investigation Department, Nigerian Police Force, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria. Fee should be in the form of an international bank draft payable to the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Fingerprint Section, Nigerian Police Force.

The applicant's letter must state full name, place and date of birth, nationality, passport number, date and place of issuance (for current passport or passport used during applicant's stay in Nigeria), exact periods of residence in Nigeria and addresses where applicant resided. Each applicant 16 years of age and over must enclose (1) a copy of the first three data pages of his or her passport, (2) the pages containing Nigerian visas, entry and departure stamps and (3) a complete set of fingerprints taken by the police in the district where the applicant resides.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...r/N/Nigeria.htm

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
You don't have to go to Nigeria to get it.

POLICE RECORD

Available, including for those living abroad. The Nigerian police force no longer accepts requests made through the American Embassy. Requests should be addressed to The Deputy Inspector General, Criminal Investigation Department, Nigerian Police Force, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria. Fee should be in the form of an international bank draft payable to the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Fingerprint Section, Nigerian Police Force.

The applicant's letter must state full name, place and date of birth, nationality, passport number, date and place of issuance (for current passport or passport used during applicant's stay in Nigeria), exact periods of residence in Nigeria and addresses where applicant resided. Each applicant 16 years of age and over must enclose (1) a copy of the first three data pages of his or her passport, (2) the pages containing Nigerian visas, entry and departure stamps and (3) a complete set of fingerprints taken by the police in the district where the applicant resides.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...r/N/Nigeria.htm

I expect the OP knows Nigeria a lot better and I am willing to bet knowing Africa in general and Nigeria quite well myself a personal application will be processed a lot quicker, and obtain a beneficial result. Very difficult to pay the "processing fee" by money order.

Also I would expect him to have great difficulty getting a set of fingerprints done in London. In fact a total refusal to do so by the Met Police wouldn't surprise me at all.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Indeed, I agree with the last response (by Lansbury) that while it maybe possible on paper, the whole process would take longer in time to process a Nigerian police report remotely (ie from London). I imagine it could take anything up to 2 months or more.

I have learnt so far, that I could have it done in person within 1-2 days if I traveled down. While buying a flight ticket and taking two working days off work might be expensive (quite easily £1K), it may/is actualy more efficient in terms of time. A typical case of some cost benefit analysis. A trip to Nigeria it is then!

Thanks Lansbury and john_and_marlene for your inputs. :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

If you have these criteria you need to get a police clearance from Nigeria:

Lived in Nigeria for over 12 months - AND - were over the age of 16 at the time. If yes to both, then sorry, it seems you need a police clearance.

You will also need a police clearance from the UK also.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ok, for some reason I can't find clear/direct answers to this question. I have read, read and read! So accept my apologies if this question has been answered already.

Intro: I was born in Nigeria and was living there, for years, after the age of 16. I am a UK citizen, I am currently and have been based in London the last 10 years.

Question: Please could anyone tell me if I need a police record from both the UK (London) and Nigeria or do I need one from just the UK?

I have read the list/requ

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I have read the list/requirements at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html But it is not clear to me.

you dont need to travel to nigeria for police cert. just get ur fingerprint done wherever u live now and make a photo page of ur nigeria passport and two photograph passport then mail it to ur relative in nigeria they will get it done for u at alagbon, it might cost them almost #7,000 been that u re not present. but mind u nigeria police cert valid for just three month, that is how i got my done.

you dont need to travel to nigeria for police cert. just get ur fingerprint done wherever u live now and make a photo page of ur nigeria passport and two photograph passport then mail it to ur relative in nigeria they will get it done for u at alagbon, it might cost them almost #7,000 been that u re not present. but mind u nigeria police cert valid for just three month, that is how i got my done.

Thanks for your suggestion kc4them, I am looking into to this option. I will get my finger print done in London through Scotland yard and then have it sent to Nigeria with copies of my passport and passport photographs.

This will workout even cheaper, almost sounds too good to be true :lol: Thanks again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm 99.9% sure you will need them from BOTH countries

.png

-------------------------

Marriage: 11/19/2006

I-130 Sent: 12/19/2006

I-130 Approved: 05/10/2007

Case Completed: 12/13/2007

Interview Date: 03/24/2008

Visa Recieved: 5/20/2008

U.S Entry: 10/07/2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sorry if this is reduntant. But am trying to get information about the Police Clearance as well. My fiance is in the Philippines. He stayed in Germany for 4yrs. Had a diplomatic visa then. Does that mean he will need to get fingerprinted and send it off to Germany to request that? Please let me know. Thank you again.

Hello Everyone. Finally go reunited with my fiance and now husband. We are soo happy.... After 2 years since we filed 7/28/07 we received our visa on August 4, 2009... don't give up. if you know USEM is wrong fight for it... We did...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.