Ladylethal

Does US recognize original citizenship?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello, with all this talk of dual citizenship I have a question nagging on me.

Brazilian laws state that brazilians acquiring a new nationality will loose the brazilian one, except if the country whose nationality you´re acquiring recognizes your original nationality, and another exception that doesn´t apply to our forum.

My question is just that. Does US recognize my original nationality? Or by taking the oath do I have to give up my own?

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I believe it does. You can try searching the USCIS website: http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

My doubt is, USCIS says that you must take the oath which says you´re giving up allegiance to any other countries, but it doesn´t say it requires a declaration that I have given up on my nationality.

Brasil will only cancel my nationality if I send them a declaration stating that I´m giving it up to take another nationality.

Now I am confused as if to if I get US citizenship but don´t send anything to Brasil I´ll gain dual citizenship?

I had International Law classes and I remember some countries accepted both so I didn´t loose mine, and some didn´t so I would loose mine, but I never asked about US especifically.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Brazilian laws state that brazilians acquiring a new nationality will loose the brazilian one, except if the country whose nationality you´re acquiring recognizes your original nationality,

I don't know a thing about Brazilian law, but it seems like a key point becomes the Brazilian definition of "recognize" for the purpose of that law.

Under US law, once you become a US Citizen, you are considered a US Citizen for the purpose of US law. You might also simultaneously have other citizenships, but that fact is irrelevant in your dealings with the US government.

Under my layman's definition of "recognize", I'd say the US probably doesn't recognize Brazilian citizenship, since a dual citizen is treated no differently than someone who has only US citizenship. But if that Brazilian law defines "recognizes your original nationality" as something more like "allows you to maintain your original nationality", then the US "recognizes your original nationality".

See the Dual Citizenship FAQ for a more detailed discussion of how US law treats dual citizens.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
My doubt is, USCIS says that you must take the oath which says you´re giving up allegiance to any other countries, but it doesn´t say it requires a declaration that I have given up on my nationality.

Brasil will only cancel my nationality if I send them a declaration stating that I´m giving it up to take another nationality.

Now I am confused as if to if I get US citizenship but don´t send anything to Brasil I´ll gain dual citizenship?

I had International Law classes and I remember some countries accepted both so I didn´t loose mine, and some didn´t so I would loose mine, but I never asked about US especifically.

The Oath does not say you have to give up any other Citizenships, read it carefully.

And it sounds like Brazil is the same as most countries, you have to make a specific declaration IF you want to give up Brazilian citizenship.

So you are good to go.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I saw a thing on the Filipino embassy website that said Filipinos can now hold dual citizenship which was in reference to being a naturalized citizen of the US and still maintaining Filipino citizenship. I don't believe the US requires you to reject your citizenship from your homeland

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Ok, so if I have both. How do I travel from US to Brasil?

I mean, Brasil requires a visa from US, US requires a visa from Brasil.

So, I am leaving US to come visit my family. If I show my american passport won´t they look for the visa? And if I show my brazilian passport won´t they also look to see if I overstayed my visa?

And wouldn´t the same thing occur when returning home (from Brasil)?

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ok, so if I have both. How do I travel from US to Brasil?

I mean, Brasil requires a visa from US, US requires a visa from Brasil.

So, I am leaving US to come visit my family. If I show my american passport won´t they look for the visa? And if I show my brazilian passport won´t they also look to see if I overstayed my visa?

And wouldn´t the same thing occur when returning home (from Brasil)?

The way I've seen it described, you will always present yourself to the US as a USC. Present yourself to Brazil in the most efficient way; if a USC needs a visa, that would suggest that you use the Brazilian passport.

No one goes looking for the visas; this is a fairly common thing now.

Have you read Rich Wales Dual Citizenship FAQ? It's in the pinned post at the top of the forum.

:)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

I was asking ´cus last time I went to US, they checked the visa in my passport while I was still in Rio.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I was asking ´cus last time I went to US, they checked the visa in my passport while I was still in Rio.

Laura, that is probably for a different reason.

The airline has to make sure that you have the right type of visa to enter the country you are going to. Otherwise, they pay for your return flight when you are refused admission. :devil:

Example: First time this happened to us was when we were immigrating my DAH. He had a one way ticket. When we were waiting in line to check in at the airport, a guard was asking to see each person's ticket + passport and putting a little sticker on the pp. I'd seen this before, but didn't register it. When she got to us and checke the ticket, and the UK passport, she asked us if he had a visa. Back then, the visa was not put in the passport, but attached to the outside of the envelope. The guard insisted that she had to check it out. I made a big stink, but ultimately handed the visa over. We checked in, and that was that. Because he had an immigrant visa, the one-way ticket was OK. He didn't have to return anywhere.

In your example, if you were a dual citizen, returning to the US from Brazil, you would check in with your US passport as a USC. The airline doesn't care what visas you were *supposed* to have coming *into* Brazil, so they aren't concerned about your US pp not having a visa.

Does that make sense of it? :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Hello, with all this talk of dual citizenship I have a question nagging on me.

Brazilian laws state that brazilians acquiring a new nationality will loose the brazilian one, except if the country whose nationality you´re acquiring recognizes your original nationality, and another exception that doesn´t apply to our forum.

My question is just that. Does US recognize my original nationality? Or by taking the oath do I have to give up my own?

This is on the US State Dept. website about Dual Nationality - Brazil:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1072.html

Scroll down a little ways for the section on Dual Nationality & visas/passports.

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I read that but it doesn´t say anything about which to use. I heard you can´t present both passports ´cus while in Brasil, you´re brazilian only, and while in US, you´re american only.

Does it make sense?

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I read that but it doesn´t say anything about which to use. I heard you can´t present both passports ´cus while in Brasil, you´re brazilian only, and while in US, you´re american only.

Does it make sense?

If you become a dual citizen, you enter Brazil with your Brazilian passport, and when you return, you enter the US with your US passport. You simply have two passports. Once inside the US you are a US Citizen y your Brazilian citizenship means nothing to the US Govt, as they consider you to be a US citizen.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Does it make sense?

The way I am reading it, it says you must use your Brazilian passport to enter & leave Brazil.

"U.S. Citizens also possessing Brazilian nationality will not be issued Brazilian visas and must obtain a Brazilian passport (from the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate nearest to their place of residence) to enter and depart Brazil"

I would check with the Brazilian Embassy before traveling with two passports. Seems I've read other threads where this caused problems in other countries. :unsure:

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.