ian12312

Credit rating

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been in the US for a couple of months now, have a job paying a high salary, SSN, bank account etc etc and just applied for a credit card...I was declined because i had no history...how do i get one if no one will give me any credit because i dont already have a credit history?

Any advice from anyone who has been through the same would be great!!

Thanks,

Ian

Ian & Kristen

UK / U.S.A.

01/OCT/05 - I-129F sent to Vermont Service Centre

12/OCT/05 - NOA1 received

26/OCT/05 - NOA2, application approved

02/NOV/05 - Case now at London Embassy

25/NOV/05 - Packet 3 received

08/DEC/05 - Medical

21/DEC/05 - Packet 3 sent back

03/JAN/06 - Packet 4 received

09/JAN/06 - Interview day (approved)

11/FEB/06 - Fly to USA

14/FEB/06 - Get married

AOS/EAD/AP

10/MAR/06 - AOS, EAD, AP sent

12/MAR/06 - AOS, EAD, AP received

17/MAR/06 - Checks cashed for AOS, EAD and AP

18/MAR/06 - NOA received for AOS, EAD and AP. Receipt dated 15/MAR/06

05/APR/06 - Biometrics appointment

08/APR/06 - EAD and AOS touched

27/APR/06 - EAD and AP touched

29/APR/06 - EAD and AP touched

25/MAY/06 - AP approved and EAD touched

26/MAY/06 - AP touched

28/MAY/06 - AP received

30/MAY/06 - EAD approved & AOS interview schedule for 11/JULY/06

11/JULY/06 - AOS interview scheduled - Approved!!

Removal of Conditions

Jun/08 - Preparing evidence

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

I have been in the US for a couple of months now, have a job paying a high salary, SSN, bank account etc etc and just applied for a credit card...I was declined because i had no history...how do i get one if no one will give me any credit because i dont already have a credit history?

Any advice from anyone who has been through the same would be great!!

Thanks,

Ian

I established credit quickly and easily by taking a bank loan out on some of my savings. It was a $300 loan payable at $50 or so a month. It is best to pay it off over the whole loan time in order to establish that you can and will make the payments on time....After that was paid, credit cards from the major department stores(Sears, JC Penny's etc) came easily. After paying on those for a while the major credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Amex, and Discover) came fast and furious...

Good luck!!!

Here's a good link: http://financialplan.about.com/cs/creditdebt/a/NoCredit.htm

Here's How to Establish Good Credit With or Without a Secured Credit

If you've never had credit in your own name, it can be difficult to get a car loan or credit card. Having no credit history can be as much of a problem as having a bad credit history. Students, other young peole, and newly divorced or widowed women who have always obtained credit jointly with their husbands often find themselves in this situation.

It seems like a vicious circle: you can't get credit because you've never had credit, but you've never had credit because you can't get credit. What's a person to do?

Don't despair. Here are a few tips to help you establish credit in your own name.

~ The best way to establish a credit history is to apply for a small loan or line of credit from your local bank or a credit card from a local department store. Ask whether they report to a credit bureau. If they don't, having the card or loan won't help you establish credit.

~ To get a credit card without a cosigner, you must be at least 18 years old and have a source of steady income. Gas cards are relatively easy to get. Apply for one and use it to establish credit, but pay it off every month to show that you can pay your bills responsibly.

~ If you can't get a small loan or gas or department credit card on your own, try to find someone to co-sign for you. Again, make payments regularly and on time.

~ Increase your chances of getting the loan you're applying for by coming up with a large down payment. If you don't have the cash, consider borrowing from a family member.

~ If you don't have a checking account, open one. You have very little credibility with lenders if you don't have at least a checking account and preferably a savings account as well.

~ Just as importantly, be sure not to overdraw your bank account. Bouncing checks sends a signal to potential lenders that you can't manage your daily finances and are therefore not a good credit risk.

~ Know what lenders and credit card issuers look for when issuing credit. There are other factors that affect credit approval besides just your payment history, such as how often you move and how often you change jobs. It also helps if you've had an apartment or utility in your own name. If you don't have a telephone number in your own name, you may find it more difficult to get credit.

~ If worse comes to worst, you may find it necessary to get a secured credit card. These cards require you to deposit money in an account to secure the loan or credit limit, and they often have fees and higher interest rates. If you default on your payments, the lender takes the money from your account. After a few months of making payments on time on the secured credit card, you may be able to obtain a regular credit card. Remember to make sure the company reports to a credit bureau before applying for a secured card, or the card won't help you establish a credit history.

Before you apply for a credit card or car loan, get your ducks all lined up. Think like a lender. Applying to a number of credit cards in a short period of time can decrease your chances of getting approved. Lenders see this activity on your credit report and steer clear because they think you're getting in over your head, so pick and choose carefully and have a plan of action.

Being rejected for credit can also look bad. Apply only to cards whose requirements you are likely to meet. Read the small print and call the company to make sure your income and other factors qualify you for the card. Just because you get an offer in the mail doesn't mean you qualify.

With careful planning and a little knowledge of how lenders issue credit, you CAN establish a credit history fairly painlessly. There are many businesses waiting in line to take advantage of you by charging exorbitant fees or interest rates, so be careful out there.

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

i remember when i first arrived having no credit that even a store card would decline me. I did get on my husband's credit cards and opened a joint checking and savings card. Also am on the lease of our apartment and the energy bill. And have gotten store cards without problems and have been receiving pre approved card sin the mail (though i don't want them :P). it'll take time to build but as long as you pay your bills it will build up and soon you won't remember the time you had no credit :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Geez, I never even thought of credit. I have credit cards from Canada, can I just change my mailing address and still retain them?

Leafgal

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We went to the bank and asked about a secured credit card. That's where you put in like $300, and then you have a credit card with a $300 limit. It helps build credit.

Stewart somehow qualified for a partially secured card at Bank of America. We pay $99 and he has a $500 credit limit.

The post above is VERY good. It takes time!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I piggy-backed off my husbands (excellent) credit by having cards on his accounts. I also have an active flow of money through both my personal and joint bank accounts and we have a good record as far as the credit we have goes. I found I have been able to get two store cards in my own name which I have paid off month by month and I'm just beginning to get junk mail about credit cards "proper". I've been married since June last year and working since October, so it did take a little time.

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Geez, I never even thought of credit. I have credit cards from Canada, can I just change my mailing address and still retain them?

Leafgal

Apparently you can do this with UK based credit cards - I have a goldcard that I really want to keep cos my SO doesn't have the world's best credit rating :lol: and doesn't use a CC himself. If thats the case I can't see WHY you couldn't do it with a Canadian based one - they will be able to tell you - call them and make a 'hypothetical enquiry'. You MAY need to retain a Cnadian based bank account as well - I don't know - I intend to keep my UK bank accounts in order to pay the UK credit card and take advantage of the exchange rate.

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

I am from Canada too, and our credit rating doesn't come with us. It doesn't matter. I am paying off my credit card in Canada and it doesn't count. Good times eh?

As far as I know changing your address won't do a thing because it's not an American institution that issued you the card.

I have my SSN and I am going to try and get a department store card next week. Keep your fingers crossed-momma needs to charge it! lol

Adjustment of Status 2008

May 6, 2008 ~~~~~~~ I751 package mailed to Vermont

May 17, 2008 ~~~~~~~~Check Cashed

May 19, 2008 ~~~~~~~~ NOA1

June 20, 2008 ~~~~~~~ Fingerprinting appointment

April 1, 2009 ~~~~~~~~ APPROVED!!!!

K-1 Visa

October 11, 2005 ~~~~~ Mailed I129F (Vermont)

October 25, 2005 ~~~~~ NOA2 in email (yay)

February 8, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview Day! APPROVED!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

March 27, 2006 ~~~~~~ Mailed AOS, EAD, AP to Chicago

March 29, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS, EAD, AP arrives at Chicago Lockbox

March 31, 2006 ~~~~~~~ NOA's for all 3

April 18, 2006 ~~~~~~ Biometrics Appointment in Providence

May 15, 2006 ~~~~~~ RFE in the mail-more financial info

May 26, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS touched

June 19, 2006 ~~~~~ EAD Card in the mail

July 27, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview for Green Card

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

When I first came to the States on a H1B visa I couldn't get a Credit Card. I eventually got one from Capital One which had a credit limit of something like $300. I used this for a few months and before to long it was up to a couple of grand. I would recommend getting one ASAP as it is very important to start building a credit history.

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent : 2004-08-03

I-129F NOA1 : 2004-08-09

I-129F NOA2 : 2004-08-20

Packet 3 Received : 2004-09-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2004-10-18

Packet 4 Received : 2004-10-29

Interview Date : 2004-11-09

Visa Received : 2004-11-09

US Entry : 2004-11-26

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2004-02-19

NOA Date : 2005-04-02

RFE(s) : 2005-04-28

Bio. Appt. : 2005-04-20

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Excellent info Swirly Girl! :thumbs::yes:

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

It may be the easiest route to ask your own bank for a credit card from VISA or MASTERCARD. If they sponsor their own card(S). Also someone I know found it easier to first get an American Express Card.

Mr Ktun

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Leafgal

You can still keep your Canadian credit cards and just call them and let them know of your new address in the states. They love the fact that your spending money here and paying them for it :yes: Hubby just made phone calls to change the address and they didnt even ask if he had a canadian bank acct. Its very common because of the snowbird thing.

Filed: Timeline

It is frustrating. I earn decent money, have a green card, I am a cosigner on a car, pay rent, gas, eletric, cable etc all in my name and yet I cant even get a lowes card due to lack of revolving accounts!

I am with a smaller local bank, do you think that also effects credit building?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is wonderful that I can just change the address so I can still retain them since my SO doesn't have a credit card either. I don't mind taking the time to establish the credit in the US but I don't want to be without one in the mean time. So great information from everyone, this was a great topic for sure.

Leafgal

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.