DeadPoolX

Weight Loss

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been a member of VJ for a little while (certainly not as long as some of you) and during my time here, I've noticed that a good number here have been struggling with weight issues. I can understand that. All my life I have fighting the "battle of the bulge" myself. It's an ongoing struggle. Not because I can't lose the weight, but because I really do enjoy eating well.

And there's the problem, right? If you look at most diets (so-called "fad" or not), they'll usually instruct you to eat "only this or that" and "keep away from this or that" and so forth. In the end, it becomes far too much hassle, when juggling the diet with everyday stresses. Not to mention the fact that it's ridiculous to think that someone could actually remain on a diet for months (possibly years) and never touch junk food. That's not just not realistic.

While I am neither a dietitian nor a physician, I have consulted both and read up on this subject extensively. I have also lost nearly 80 pounds in the last two years, so I probably have some idea of what I'm talking about. That's why I'm here to tell you what's worked for me and how to do what I've done. I don't know if my methods will work for you (everyone is different), but I figure that if someone like me -- who has a slow metabolism and is hypothyroid -- can lose that much weight in a relatively short period of time without any health-related issues, then I can't see any reason why other people can't too.

Here we go...

WHAT DOES NOT WORK

1. Skipping Meals - A lot of people tend to think that if they skip breakfast or lunch or both, then they'll lose weight because they've consumed fewer calories. Off-hand, that'd make sense. However, it doesn't work that way. When your body senses it's not getting the necessary calories to fuel itself, it goes into a sort of "conservation" mode. This is your body's way of protecting you. It doesn't know you're attempting to lose weight; it thinks you're starving. So your body is trying to hold onto the calories it has and use them up as slowly as possible. So if you skip meals, you won't end up losing weight -- unless, of course, you skip meals for weeks on end, in which case you really will be starving and probably in need of medical care.

The worst thing about this method is that since your body has slowed down your metabolic processes to conserve energy, the next time you do eat, you'll probably be hungrier than you would've been normally. So you'll eat more, ingesting more calories than usual, adding those to the calories you didn't lose before. All of which means you're likely to actually gain weight, instead of lose, which was the entire purpose to begin with!

2. Bulimia/Anorexia - This should be obvious, but apparently, it's not. Although these ailments affect mostly women (teenage girls, to be precise), there have been cases of men who have had these problems as well. There's been a lot written up over the years about these two, so I don't really need to go into depth over them. I suppose the bottom line is that, while bulimia and anorexia do cause you to lose weight, the side-effects are so traumatic that it's nowhere near worth it. One other tidbit for prospective bulimics -- vomiting does not get rid of the majority of calories you've consumed. Your body has already absorbed most of the calories you ate by the time you're ready to "do your thing," so it's really not worth it.

3. Mass Exercise - Exercise is a good thing, I think we can all agree on that. What's not good, however, is when people (especially those who're new to working out) think they can "make up for lost time" by literally "pushing themselves to the limit." That might make for a dramatic story in movies or TV, but in real life, all that results in is sore, achy and tired muscles. Someone who has those probably doesn't feel too good and won't likely go back to the gym (or wherever they work out) again real soon, even if they enjoyed it, because they're too uncomfortable and in too much pain.

It's self-defeating to overdo it at the gym. I had a friend once who was a personal trainer. He told me that it's better to more repetitions with less weight than fewer repetitions with more weight. Granted, he's talking about lifting weights, but the idea works for any sort of workout. If you're going on the treadmill, power walk (don't run; running isn't good for your spine, knees, hips, etc) for 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes if you're new to it or you don't feel particularly energetic that day. You don't have to push yourself.

Yes, you want to do more than a "five minute workout" but the point is that moderation (like in most things) is the key here. It's better to power walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes four times a week than to power walk 90 minutes once a week. You get more time and exercise in and give your body a break.

4. Diet Pills - This is an interesting one. Since so many people are overweight in the United States, there are a lot of companies out there who've tried to prey on society's insecurities with weight. To make a long story short, these drugs don't work. I've never tried any, but I have good reason to believe they don't because the FDA hasn't approved them (so at best they're "herbal supplements" which means they can't claim to "treat or cure health-related issues") and if any of these weight loss drugs really did work, do you think they'd be sold for $20 - $40 at Walgreen's?

Hell no!

If there was a "magic pill" that could make people shed the pounds and become thin, whatever company that designed it could charge practically whatever they wanted! You might say, "Well, if it were too expensive, people wouldn't buy it." Yes, they would. It's a sad commentary on western culture, but we are obsessed with physical characteristics -- this includes weight. I'm sure there'd be people taking out loans, if necessary, to purchase a drug like this.

But nothing like that exists. At least not yet and it may never. As it stands right now, the closest we ever came to true diet drugs that I can recall were those that contained ephedra. Ephedra proved useful for short-term weight loss, but there was no evidence to show if the weight loss could be maintained over time. In addition, ephedra was later banned due to the harmful side-effects it presented. Current diet drugs generally use copious amounts of caffeine in them and while this can suppress appetite, it can also give someone "the shakes" as well. It might also get someone addicted to caffeine usage too.

5. No Junk Food - Just about every diet plan will say "You must stop eating all candy, cookies, chips, soda, cake, and chocolate!" I think this is #######. They have a point in that you don't want to eat any of that every day, but if you feel like eating something that's not part of your diet every once in a while, so what? Part of the reason for your diet in the first place is so you can eat what you want every so often without having to worry about your waistline!

Here's something else to think about: If you cut out all junk food, that might work for one week, two weeks, maybe even three weeks. But once a month rolls around, you're going to be seriously craving something "bad for you." If you deny yourself, then you'll eventually give in anyway and -- this is the worst part -- probably end up binging. After it's all over, you'll realize what you did and immediately try to rationalize it. That won't work. So you'll become depressed and begin doubting your ability to lose weight at all. Here's where it gets even better. If you're like a lot of people, you'll end turn to food as a comfort source because you're depressed and begin eating! So you'll only make your situation worse and start down a spiral of events, that'll eventually lead to greater depression and difficulty losing weight.

To avoid this, I'd say eat what you want once in a while. Don't overdo it, of course, but have some chips. Have that cookie. Eat those fries. Just because you ate something fattening one day doesn't mean your diet attempts are ruined if you work hard at losing the weight the other days.

WHAT DOES WORK

1. Eat Multiple Smaller Meals - I'm sure everyone here has heard that it's "better" for you to eat many small meals throughout the day than have a few large ones, right? Well, it's true. The small meals don't add a lot in calories (assuming you aren't chowing down on triple-layer super-fudge chocolate cake each time) and they keep your metabolism active. A high metabolic rate is what burns calories, carbohydrates, and fats. So if you can eat multiple smaller meals during the day and you'd like to lose weight, I'd suggest you try to do so. It'd probably help.

2. Controlled Exercise - A well-maintained, well-balanced exercise regimen can add a lot to a healthy diet. Of course, a lot of us simply don't have time to "hit the gym" every day. I know some people claim that's nothing more than an excuse, but there are many individuals who work long hours and tired at the end of the day. They probably don't feel like lifting weights or running on a treadmill after being at the office.

Then there are the people who hate the gym because they just feel "uncomfortable" or "out of place" there. I think this usually happens with women more than men. At least it has in my experience. I've known a number of women who dislike going to the gym, if for no other reason than seeing the 20-year old girls working out in tight spandex. Apparently, this makes those women feel very self-conscious.

So if you won't come to the gym, make the gym come to you! That means you've got to buy some equipment and have the necessary room to place it in. You'll also need to assemble some things, depending on what you buy. For instance, if you purchase a weight-lifting bench, you'll have to put that together yourself; if you get a treadmill, that gets delivered to your home. Sure, it's expensive and a bit of a hassle, but if you want to exercise without the other people and have the luxury of the equipment, this is what you'll need to do.

The last option is power walk or jog around the neighborhood (assuming your neighborhood is relatively safe) in the morning before work, in the evenings after work, and/or on the weekends. This is by far the cheapest option and necessitating the least amount of effort; however, you're also at the mercy of "Mother Nature" and if it's poor weather outside, your exercise session may be canceled.

If at all possible, find someone -- your spouse, a sibling, a friend, etc -- to exercise with, since exercise by yourself is terribly boring. When you exercise with someone, it can be fun, since it becomes interactive.

3. Allow Junk Food - I think I summed this up before, but just to reiterate, junk food should be allowed every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with having some chocolate or a piece of cake -- so long as it's not on a regular basis.

4. Cut Food In Half - Contrary to what many diets will tell you, I don't believe you need to "stick" to any sort of plan that consists of "good" and "bad" food. I think you can eat whatever you want. The difference between losing weight and gaining weight is simple. Think about what you'd like to eat and then eat half of it. Do that with whatever you eat. You'll lose weight and you won't have to sacrifice food that tastes good either.

This doesn't contradict #3 either. Even if you took half, if you ate junk food all of the time, you'd still probably end up gaining some weight eventually -- at the least, it wouldn't be healthy. So just for that sake alone, junk food shouldn't be eaten except on a relatively infrequent basis.

5. Check Your Prescription Medications - If you're on any prescription medications and you're attempting to lose weight, check with your physician to see if they could potentially cause weight gain. There are many drugs that can "pack on the pounds," but since this isn't usually considered one of the more serious side-effects, physicians rarely inform their patients of it.

Obviously, if you absolutely require your medication, then you need to stay on it -- weight gain or not. However, there are usually alternative medications (and I don't mean herbal medicine). There are many pharmaceutical companies, most of which compete with each other by producing drugs that do the same thing, but often with somewhat varying strengths, weaknesses and side-effects. If a medication you're on is causing you to put on weight and there is another drug available that will do the same thing for you (but without the weight gain), I might look into it.

Anyway... that's about it. I could probably say more, but as it is, this post is practically the size of a small novel. If anyone actually reads all the way through this, then I hope you got something out of it. B)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've heard that skipping meals or fasting can actually be beneficial to one's health. The problem is that people don't do it correctly and overeat at the other meals.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

What doesn't work: sitting on your ###

What does work: Lifting weights.

For detailed timeline, see member timeline data.

You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the universe.

--John Adams

j.jpg

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.

--Ron Paul

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I lost 40 pounds in 6 months for my 1st marriage and I did it by following Weight Watchers for my diet and doing Body for Life for my workout regime. It worked really well. I didn't bulk up from working out. I toned and lost fast because it was a good combination of weights and cardio. Just thought I would share.

Label.jpg

.png

mybabygirl-1-1.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Being stressed out and forgetting to eat for a few days works wonders. No, I don't recommend it, but it really works :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went from a size 8 to a size 2 on jenny craig. I have kept the weight off for a while now...but its really expensive. But i thought it was worth it. I recommend it to anyone wanting to lose weight and the food tasted great.

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

I went from a size 8 to a size 2

!!!

that's like, wow G :thumbs:

but size 8 isn't bad at all...

Feelicks <3 Neenuh

04.23.07 sent I-130 packet

04.25.07 USPS confirmed I-130 packet delivered

05.18.07 money order cashed

08.09.07 received NOA1

09.23.07 received NOA2

10.23.07 received I-864 AOS fee

12.14.07 received I-864 AOS instructions

12.15.07 mailed DS-3032

01.04.08 received IV fee

02.15.08 mailed I-864 AOS packet

02.15.08 mailed money order for IV fee

03.03.08 received IV packet

04.09.08 received I-864 AOS RFE

07.19.08 mailed I-864 RFE documents

12.19.08 mailed IV packet

01.02.09 case completed at the NVC

02.24.09 NVC interview packet arrived

02.25.09 SLEC medical DAY 1

02.27.09 SLEC medical DAY 2

03.02.09 SLEC medical DAY 3 PASSED!

03.05.09 USEM interview @ 6:30am APPROVED!

03.07.09 visas in hand

04.20.09 Arrived at SFO

05.05.09 Received SSN

Filed: Timeline

For me, loosing weight and staying in shape was always something i had to work hard at. But i have discovered the best "diet" i totaly love, i can can eat ANYTHING i want(and i do love chocolate, dark chocolate though) and still dropping weight. Maintaing was my purpose but this life stayle change is made me drop from a size 6 to size 3 in two months. My diet allows you to eat anything your heart desires, in any quantity possible, but you have to do it at breakfast time...all that before noon. If you feel like eating chips, candy, cookie at night, don't...put them aside and wait for the mornin to come and you can have them ALL. Between noon and 3 p.m. i take lunch, smaller, a portion of some home made food and 3 slices of bread...if you want junk food, you can eat a burger or hotdog. After 3 pm till 6 pm i take dinner, smallest meal of it all, usualy something easy for the stomack like some soup r even cooked food, but fill in just 1/3 of plate and eat without bread. After 6 pm. you can't eat anything...you can drink diet pop(i kind of overindulge on that, i drink almost 2 littres a day). If you get realy hungry or are invited at a restaurant fr dinner, opt for a fruit or small yoghurt(at home) and green salad, no dressing(at restaurant).

That's prety much it. I can say this is the best "diet" i've ever been on. I tried many, but cutting out the things i love like chocolate, icecream did not work for me and made me struggle and feel crancky. Also eating smaller meals is not for me...i like something, i won't quit untill i finish it:)). Can't tell you the feeling i get when i wake up every morning and see all the goodies i put aside the night before and am finaly able to eat them:). It's paradise:).

It's a bit hard to do for about 3 days but after that you get used to it very quickly and it's not hard at all. Eat breakfast, the bigger the better ad you won't be hungry. Don't skip any meal...if you're not hungry, eat anyway-your body will get used to that and won't ask later. Oh, pop helps, diet pop-cuz i like the bubbles, makes me feel alright at night when i get cravings. I take vitamins too, but i am kind of lazy on the exercise part-the schedule that i have doesn't permit too much free time. If you have time to exercise, ever better, do it. But how it was presented in the first post, don't over do it.

My friend managed to slim down a lot with Jenny Craig too. I didn't try it but she is realy skinny now...she dropped from 190 pounds to 125 in a few months.

This is what works for me and never felt better about eating all the junk my hear desires and stay slim and envied.

later.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, and those other weight loss companies are a bit expensive. Weight Watchers can be too.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I watched a TV show where people were competing to loose weight, not this recent stuff on TV. One of the nutrionists told the person they were coaching to try and keep grams of fat intake to 20 or below. I Did that and ended up loosing about 50 pounds. I can't seem to stay with it now and am at a plateau of 25 pounds down so need to renew my efforts.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Running is a magic pill for me. If you can't run, start out walking and add a iittle running every now and then. I've ran for years. I tend to not run a bunch in the winter and may gain a bit, but as soon as the warmth returns, the extra added falls off quickly. Normal food intake is not the main problem with the batlle of the bulge. It's simple lack of physical activity we used to have in decades past.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I just joined Quick Weight Loss Centers - the diet is really high protein low carb the goal is to loase 63 lbs in 22 weeks. I know I can do it - I even started going to the gym but this past week was the week from hell - cravings and bad work schedule and so I did everything bad. I know how to re-detox myself but so far for the most part it's working!!!! My pants have gotten bigger for me. I think I lost more inches than I lost weight.

I was really impressed with the program because it teaches you how to change your eating habits and I have really bad eating habits. But I didn't like how they try to sell their products and scare you into thinking that if you don't use it you won't lose it. I've been on a million diets in my time so I know what's good and bad for me but I needed to have somewhere to go and weigh in and feel bad about myself should i gain weight or like this week - completely fall off the wagon!!!!!!!!

suz

Starting over -

I-130

01-08-09 - Mailed I-130

01-09-09 - VSC received I-130 application

01-14-09 - Date of NOA1

01-20-09 - Received NOA1 for I-130

06-17-09 - I-130 Approval

06-22-09 - Received NOA2 for I-130

NVC

07-11-09 - Emailed DS-3032

07-11-09 - Paid AOS Fee $70.00

07-23-09 - DS-3032 Accepted via. Email

08-15-09 - Paid IV Fee $400.00

09-14-09 - Mailed I-864 Package

09-14-09 - Mailed IV DS-230 Package

09-28-09 - Email FROM NVC stating that both forms were incomplete

10-09-09 - NVC Received both forms corrected

10-20-09 - Case Complete at NVC

10-29-09 - CR-1 Interview Date scheduled for 12-23-09

12-23-09 - Placed under Admin Review for six weeks - 2-3-10

01-14-10 - Visa Refused

06-02-10 - USCIS Received the package back from the Embassy

09-18-10 - Hindi Wedding Ceremony

09-28-10 - Recieved Letter from USCIS Stating reasons for revocation

10-01-10 - Returned Package to USCIS will further evidence disputing the reasons the Embassy gave for revocation

11-17-10 - DS 230 and Immigrant Information Sheet returned to the Embassy

12-15-10 - Appointment Letter mailed out setting the interview Date for Feb 7th 2011

02-07-11 - 3rd Interview with the Embassy after USCIS reaffirmed the case

02-09-11 - Visa issued

02-11-11 - Traveled back to the USA - and our journey is finally over! A total of 3.5 years!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Eat more nuts! :yes:

...large studies have since confirmed the benefits to the heart of nut eating2, 5-8. In addition to the cardiac benefits of consuming nuts, the risks of having a stroke9, of developing type 2 diabetes10, of developing dementia11, of advanced macular degeneration12 and of gallstones 13 have all been found to be lowered by eating nuts. Calculations suggest that daily nut eaters gain an extra five to six years of life free of coronary disease14 and that regular nut eating appears to increase longevity by about 2 years.15.

The beneficial effect of nut consumption was found for men, women, vegetarians, meat-eaters, fatter people, thinner people, the old, the young, those who did much exercise and those who did little exercise.

The more often nuts are eaten the better as the benefits appear to increase as the frequency of nut consumption increases. The risk of fatal coronary disease and the risk of developing type 2 diabetes both appear to decrease steadily as nut consumption increases from less than once a week to once or more per day10, 16.

Just what quantity of nuts should be eaten? The studies above suggest that 30 to 60 grams (1-2oz) of nuts should be consumed daily to gain the maximum benefits seen. Whether even larger amounts confer further benefits is currently unknown.

With a little imagination nuts can easily added to many recipes including home-baked bread, cakes, soups, main dishes, sauces, stuffings, salads and desserts. Waldorf salad, pesto and baklava are internationally well known examples. Thousands of recipes using nuts are readily available on the internet, at for example Epicurious, and RecipeSource.

http://www.vegan.org.nz/nuts.php