the_joker_40

filling out I-864

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I was hoping someone could help me. I'm a US citizen and living in Canada with my Canadian wife and we're filling out the I-864 forms. I have my parents filling one out also just cause I can't sponsor my wife on my own since I have no US income. But my question is, they are asking for employment and income. I do work up here in Canda so should I put my Canadian income on the forms or leave it blank since I dont have any US income? Also, if I put my Canadian income, do I need to change it to US dollar?

thanks a lot

Chris

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello everyone.

I was hoping someone could help me. I'm a US citizen and living in Canada with my Canadian wife and we're filling out the I-864 forms. I have my parents filling one out also just cause I can't sponsor my wife on my own since I have no US income. But my question is, they are asking for employment and income. I do work up here in Canda so should I put my Canadian income on the forms or leave it blank since I dont have any US income? Also, if I put my Canadian income, do I need to change it to US dollar?

thanks a lot

Chris

Just want to make sure you are preparing the correct form... Your profile indicates DCF but your timeline indicates K-3... as DCF (CR(IR)1) visa requires I-864 and K-3 visa requires an I-134.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Hello everyone.

thanks a lot

Chris

Just want to make sure you are preparing the correct form... Your profile indicates DCF but your timeline indicates K-3... as DCF (CR(IR)1) visa requires I-864 and K-3 visa requires an I-134.

well I'm still trying to learn all these forms. When I first started I was wanting to file DCF but then they passed that child law where you couldn't go to the Consulates anymore so I filed the I-130 back in Feb and got that approved and then they wanted me to pay ahead of time for the afadavid of Support and the Sponsorship and then they said I can send in the forms I need. I will have to check out my paperwork to see if I even filed correctly. I hate dealing with the government! lol.

thanks

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello everyone.

thanks a lot

Chris

well I'm still trying to learn all these forms. When I first started I was wanting to file DCF but then they passed that child law where you couldn't go to the Consulates anymore so I filed the I-130 back in Feb and got that approved and then they wanted me to pay ahead of time for the afadavid of Support and the Sponsorship and then they said I can send in the forms I need. I will have to check out my paperwork to see if I even filed correctly. I hate dealing with the government! lol.

thanks

If you only filed an I-130 and this affidavit is asked for by the National Visa Center in NH, then I-864 it is. But, that's not a K3 visa process. It's a CR1 or IR1 immigrant visa process.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Joker,

If you find you are doing an IR1/CR1 visa and submitting the I-864 to NVC:

I do work up here in Canda so should I put my Canadian income on the forms or leave it blank since I dont have any US income? Also, if I put my Canadian income, do I need to change it to US dollar?

You will need to enter your Canadian income for 04/05/06, you will need to convert it to U.S. dollars (you would have already done this when you submitted your U.S. tax returns to the IRS for these years, so use the total from your 1040).

I left it blank and got an RFE for it and had to wait for them to return the I-864 back to me and correct it/mail it back.

Otherwise, if you haven't already, you will need to file U.S. tax returns for the last 3 years. You can get previous years forms here:

Prior Year Forms, Instructions and Publications

If you need to call the IRS for questions or clarification you can reach them at the Philadelphia number:

Tel: 215-516-2000 (not toll-free)

Fax: 215-516-2555

Phone service available from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm (EST) M-F

While the I-864 only asks that you submit the last years U.S. tax return, you may as well file 3 years as they can request the others later. No use getting caught out and having to scramble to file.

Once your U.S. return is processed you can request a transcript (through the Philadephia number above) be sent to you for each year, you will submit at least the one from 2006 with your I-864.

As an aside, I asked for copies to be mailed to me, they never arrived. After 4 weeks I had them fax them to me - 27 pages for 3 years just so you know.

I would also recommend, if you do end up submitting the I-864, that you include your 2006 Canadian tax return, at least the 4 pages of the return, Schedule 1, your assessment and a copy of all your slips (T4's etc) (they requested this from me as well).

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.