adelaarsvaren

Open letter to Homeland Security

142 posts in this topic

I love these threads where someone insists the government should be 'accountable' to us when it comes to immigration.

It was never lost on me that I was asking my government for the PRIVILEGE to bring a foreign-born person into this country to live. A privilege - not a right. Granted, I had paid a fee and I was entitled to some level of customer service, but it was also not lost on me that the answer to my petitions did not necessarily have to be the answer I wanted. The fees are generated to push the papers to grant the privilege.

Yes the system is broken. Yes it should be better. But the government is hardly 'accountable' to you.

Respectfully, rebeccajo, I disagree. It's still a republic (barely, these days), and while there is no right to have C. or any other foreigner receive a green card, expecting timely processing is not demanding too much from their poor ACCOUNTABLE butts. I have paid over a thousand dollars so that they could take over forty days to do some basic data entry.

I am beyond angry because I've spent the last forty days hoping that I didn't screw anything up and wondering if I can expect C.'s EAD before Christmas. I'm now hoping that we interview before I get my Ph.D. Which is in May. Or course, if I don't land a job, that means he'll be denied AOS because I'll be unemployed as, again, forty days to give us a receipt.

I am not expecting them to skimp on security or look the other way, but it is ridiculous, for example, that this process doesn't include an automatic work permit for immediate relatives that's processed at the border and extends automatically upon filing for AOS. It is ridiculous that none of this is online. It is ridiculous that having filled out all the paperwork during the K-1 process meant that I had to fill it out all over again. Honestly. I can go on Amazon and buy a book and they can save my address, which I can confirm. I can buy pearls on eBay from Japan. But the G-325a has to be sent in four times. Click. Replace. Does the UK not care about security? It only took my friend a week to get there.

Honestly, it's a system that makes sense only on the assumption that the foreign spouse is a woman who does not intend to work, has no need for a driver's license, and probably won't leave the house or speak the language, so why does she need any of those things.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:ranting: I chose not to read to the end of the topic because I too feel as angry as you do about the inefficiency in the immigration system and I am disappointed that there are so many posting on here telling you to suck it up and be thankful for what you have. I gave up a lot to come here; career, family, mobility, money, etc, etc so yes, I am with the one I love, but it has its own price to pay so don't tell me how fortunate I am to be here with my spouse because I am being made to pay as well. There is no rhyme or reason as to why the process should take as long as it does when I know for a fact that other countries have immigration systems in place which are efficient, effective and less stressful. When I read posts on here from people who filed for their I-485 in January and have just received their Green Cards I get angry because I filed in December last year and I don't have mine yet and no-one in the USCIS or FBI can tell me when I will get it. That is a sign of corruption, inefficiency and mismanagement. You have every right to rant and I share your frustrations. I came to VJ for support and advice from people going through a similar experience and yet there seems to be too many people here happy to just sit back and let the government do this to them. All we have to do for the system to remain as it currently stands is nothing. We may be powerless but we are not without a voice. If you are not outraged then you haven't been paying attention.

Thank you, I feel better now. :)

Kelly (USC) & Jeremy (UKC)

Adjustment of Status from K-1 Visa

CIS Office : Louisville KY

Date Filed : 2006-11-28

NOA Date : 2006-12-21

Bio. Appt. : 2006-12-15

Card Received: 2008-02-12

Employment Authorization Document

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2007-09-18

Approved Date : 2007-11-08

Date Card Received : 2007-11-21

Estimates/Stats : Your EAD was approved in 51 days.

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Date Filed : 2007-08-31

NOA Date : 2007-09-18

Date Received : 2007-11-09

Estimates/Stats : Your AP was approved in 31 days.

I love these threads where someone insists the government should be 'accountable' to us when it comes to immigration.

It was never lost on me that I was asking my government for the PRIVILEGE to bring a foreign-born person into this country to live. A privilege - not a right. Granted, I had paid a fee and I was entitled to some level of customer service, but it was also not lost on me that the answer to my petitions did not necessarily have to be the answer I wanted. The fees are generated to push the papers to grant the privilege.

Yes the system is broken. Yes it should be better. But the government is hardly 'accountable' to you.

I disagree as well. Supposedly our wonderful American democracy is the "government of the people", and our elected officials and governmental bodies are there to serve their constituents? We do not live under a dictatorship (although that may be up for debate).

Yes, our borders are potentially dangerous, which is why it makes no sense that the USCIS isn't 1,000 times more efficient than it is. And it is so ironic to me - with all the gripes about illegal immigration - we can't come up with a better process to reward our legal immigrants?

Our Story:

Jan 2003 moved to Campeche, met Edgar three weeks later

K-1

Dec 2006 filed I-129f

July 12 WE FINALLY GOT MARRIED!!

AOS/EAD/AP:

July 2007 sent in AOS paperwork

Dec 6 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!

ROC:

Sept 5th 2009 Applied for Removal of Conditions

Sept 14th NOA I-797C

Oct 7th Biometrics Appt

Timeline

I disagree as well. Supposedly our wonderful American democracy is the "government of the people", and our elected officials and governmental bodies are there to serve their constituents? We do not live under a dictatorship (although that may be up for debate).

Yes, our borders are potentially dangerous, which is why it makes no sense that the USCIS isn't 1,000 times more efficient than it is. And it is so ironic to me - with all the gripes about illegal immigration - we can't come up with a better process to reward our legal immigrants?

Amen to that, sister. If my wife were posting on here she'd tell you that she considers it her RIGHT to be able to marry whoever she wants and does not consider it a priviledge. Remember the constitution was drafted to make us free from government oppression and what they are doing or not-doing with the immigration process is a form of oppression. My wife and I are being forced to live off her wage by the government's ineptitude which is delaying our plans to buy a house and start a family because we can't afford to do either. Yes, the government is correct to check the backgrounds of those entering the country because it is THEIR responsibility to make us all safe but how seriously do they take that responsibility when it takes years in some cases to clear people through the name check and there is a huge border to the south that to all intents and purposes is wide open for anyone to cross without permission?

Advance Parole

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I agree with the lost tax argument. Very stupid. We throw away billions each year by not having a guest worker program, and by making things like online poker and certain drugs illegal (but I digress as my views are not very popular when it comes to that, I realize).

One suggestion however - why not have your wife take up work on a cash basis "under the table" - dogwalker, babysitting, tutoring....any of these can be done and pay quite well these days.

4/25 - overnighted packet to Chicago (130, 485, 765, 131)

5/01 - NOA date

5/18 - RFE received for 485

5/19 - biometrics appointment

5/21 - overnighted RFE documentation to Missouri

5/24 - notification that response to RFE received

6/14 - changed address on-line, then called

6/18 - mailed I-865

6/19 - all touched

6/20 - all touched

7/06 - notification AP and EAD approved

7/16 - AP letter and EAD card received

9/23 - AOS Interview letter received for 10/29

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
I thought that they forgave illegal work done by spouses of USCs.

They do, but it's still illegal and VJ does not condone illegal activity. My husband worked illegally and it was forgiven, but I fail to see why you'd bother going through the visa process just to come here just to break the law. There are options other than work until you get the EAD.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

They do, but it's still illegal and VJ does not condone illegal activity. My husband worked illegally and it was forgiven, but I fail to see why you'd bother going through the visa process just to come here just to break the law. There are options other than work until you get the EAD.

VJ doesn't condone it and they shouldn't, but I'm mentally at the point where USCIS is so useless that I am thinking the illegal workers have the right idea.

AOS

-

Timeline

VJ doesn't condone it and they shouldn't, but I'm mentally at the point where USCIS is so useless that I am thinking the illegal workers have the right idea.

My husband is much happier not living in the shadows, so I'll never agree with that - no offense, just personal experience.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

None taken. I can't imagine it would be fun looking over your shoulder all the time. It isn't a lot of fun starting off your marriage practically bankrupt, either.

AOS

-

This may be grounds for a new thread, but I just want to share with everyone: A few weeks ago, I wrote a few looong emails to MSNBC.com and the editors of Newsweek magazine (one of my faves) requesting that they do a feature on immigration - with an emphasis on legal immigrants.

If anyone is interested, message me and I'll send you a copy of the letter. Maybe if we get more people bugging them, they'll respond? It would be nice to have the plight of legal immigrants highlighted, for what its worth.

It's just such a shame that so much focus is put on illegal immigration. And I say that as the wife of a Mexican who entered on K1.

Our Story:

Jan 2003 moved to Campeche, met Edgar three weeks later

K-1

Dec 2006 filed I-129f

July 12 WE FINALLY GOT MARRIED!!

AOS/EAD/AP:

July 2007 sent in AOS paperwork

Dec 6 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!

ROC:

Sept 5th 2009 Applied for Removal of Conditions

Sept 14th NOA I-797C

Oct 7th Biometrics Appt

Timeline
None taken. I can't imagine it would be fun looking over your shoulder all the time. It isn't a lot of fun starting off your marriage practically bankrupt, either.

Believe me, I know. Even with both of us working we were practically bankrupt.

:unsure:

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
This may be grounds for a new thread, but I just want to share with everyone: A few weeks ago, I wrote a few looong emails to MSNBC.com and the editors of Newsweek magazine (one of my faves) requesting that they do a feature on immigration - with an emphasis on legal immigrants.

If anyone is interested, message me and I'll send you a copy of the letter. Maybe if we get more people bugging them, they'll respond? It would be nice to have the plight of legal immigrants highlighted, for what its worth.

It's just such a shame that so much focus is put on illegal immigration. And I say that as the wife of a Mexican who entered on K1.

You should PM my wife (wifeohunkyjohn), she has sent tons of letters and even had some responses.

Edited by John & Annie

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Timeline

My husband was out of status for 5 years, so I can't support anything that is going to demean our efforts to get his status is order. But if it doesn't do that, I would be interested.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Timeline

I'd be interested to know what they had to say in response to your wife's letters. I am surprised that no-one in the mass-media has really focussed on the plight of us legals. In fact I have been thinking recently of writing to Glenn Beck (CNN) to make him aware of the plight us legals find ourselves in.

Advance Parole

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'd be interested to know what they had to say in response to your wife's letters. I am surprised that no-one in the mass-media has really focussed on the plight of us legals. In fact I have been thinking recently of writing to Glenn Beck (CNN) to make him aware of the plight us legals find ourselves in.

I will text her and ask to join this forum.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.