Campanita

Going to Interview with Fiance - Help or Hinderance?

13 posts in this topic

I am 15 years older than my fiance. He looks older, I look younger so we don't look all that different in age, however WE ARE. I am not sure if I should go with him for the interview or if he would be better off going alone. Do you think it matters? I am going to have to make two trips there before the interview and making a third will be tough but if it's better to go, then I will. Please advise. Thanks.

It depends on the consulate. Some won't even let you in, so it might not be worth it for you. You might want to post in the regional discussion area, somebody might be familiar with your consulate.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
:yes:

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't think it could possibly be a hinderence for you to make the effort to go there for the interveiw... some consulates won't let you into the building or the interview but even then you'll be able to hold your fiance's hand while he waits in the line outside and you'll be there for him when he comes out...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When my fiance wanted me to come with her to the interview (in Colombia) - I did some searches and based on my reading of people's experiences - I decided that it was completely pointless for me to go to the interview - because I would not help her and instead would increase her and my own anxiety! So, I didn't go and she was perfectly fine after she talked to a few acquaintances who went alone to their interviews also. She called me after the interview and said "It was very easy."

Most USCs are not asked anything or asked very little and it doesn't matter if they are present or not (yes - some consulates require their presence but many don't and some don't allow them inside the premises.) By not going, we saved a couple grand and used it for a vacation to Orlando! Good Luck!

Though I won't mind going to Costa Rica and taking a look at Paos volcano (I hear its active again!)

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

When My fiance, now wife had her interview in Honduras, I went with her. I had no intention of letting her do this by herself, especially because of the way the embassies in Latin America treat the people down there. I do believe the outcome might have been different if I was not there. And since I love her more than anything else in this world and since it was my money paying for my life long investment, I never considered not attending. Hope this helps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would have given anything to have my fiance able to be there with me... it was the first time I'd ever been to a strange city alone and I found it a terrifying ordeal - so much so that I had a huge panic attack standing in the line! But I got through it and afterwards I wondered what all the fuss was about...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was at the interview in Cairo with my fiance, however I could not stand next to the window, I had to stand a few steps back. Don't know why though....I could still hear every question she was asking him. :P

hmm when my interview at the embassy came, my fiance was in the US. While I was waiting for my turn at the embassy, I saw a lot of couples being interviewed.. and man I was wishing that time my fiance was w/ me too. I would have been relaxed and not nervous. I think it will help your fiance emotionally if you go w/ him. That is if they allow it.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
I am 15 years older than my fiance. He looks older, I look younger so we don't look all that different in age, however WE ARE. I am not sure if I should go with him for the interview or if he would be better off going alone. Do you think it matters? I am going to have to make two trips there before the interview and making a third will be tough but if it's better to go, then I will. Please advise. Thanks.

Hello! I am 11 years older than my costa rican husband, and I did attend the interview with him in San Jose for his k-1 interview. We were asked about the age difference, if it made a difference in our relationship. My then fiance responded immediately that "amor no tiene edad" too cute! We were approved. I did sweat for a second!

1/31/18 I-130 NOA 1 received Nebraska Service Center

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I don't think it could possibly be a hinderence for you to make the effort to go there for the interveiw... some consulates won't let you into the building or the interview but even then you'll be able to hold your fiance's hand while he waits in the line outside and you'll be there for him when he comes out...

That's GREAT to know Motu considering that was going to be something I asked soon! Thanks! :)

skemper19 - MIAMI

2-13-2006 - Sent K-1 (I-129F) Petition to TSC

2-15-2006 - LOST EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT SO I CAN'T EVEN TRACK IT TO CONFIRM IT WAS RECEIVED

2-16-2006 - FOUND MY EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT!!!! Confirmed I-129F package arrived!! YAY!!!!!!

3-1-2006 - TOUCHED!!!!!! Check cleared the bank, now have case #!!!!

3-2-2006 - TOUCHED AGAIN - RECEIVED NOA1 FROM CSC!!!!!!!!!

4-7-2006 through 4-17-2006 - Visited my baby in Colombia ( Had a GLORIOUS time)

5-2-2006 - TOUCHED by e-mail!!!!! I-129F HAS BEEN APPROVED (5-1-2006)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

5-6-06 - TOUCHED BY SNAIL MAIL - RECEIVED NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!

5-22-06 - Called NVC - RECEIVED PETITION AND SENT TO EMBASSY ALL IN THE SAME DAY!!!!!

5-25-06 - RECEIVED LETTER FROM NVC CONFIRMING RECEIPT AND SENDING OF PETITION TO EMBASSY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

6-5-06 - PACKET 3 RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

6-16-05 - PACKET 4 RECEIVED!!!!!!!! Interview scheduled for July 14th!!!!!!!

7-14-06 - VISA DENIED DU TO LACK OF EVIDENCE

8-1-06 - Second interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

9-29-06 - He arrived!!!!

10-19-06 - Married at a small ceremony

11-10-0 - sent AOS package

11-17-06 - RECEIVED NOA1 for AOS and EAD

11-27-06 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPT 4 12-14-06 WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

2-1-07 - RECEIVED E-MAIL THAT EAD WAS APPROVED!!!!!!!

2-3-07 - RECEIVED EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!! Lucked out on that one!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You have to look inside for this answer. If you go and get denied will you feel like it is your fault? If you don't go and get denied will you feel like it is your fault?

If you can afford it then go!! If you have no money then stay home and pray. I don't think anybody really hurts the benificiary by going to the interview. It shows that you are serious about the matter.

Motu was in Colombia. There were a lot of Colombian folks on VJ at the time. There were many women that were going alone and the success rate was 100%. I don't blame him. I wanted to back out on my trip also to save money. They were just cranking out visa's left and right. There was no risk. We were both lucky. We were finding people on VJ that were there yesterday, or the day before .The embassy section was loaded up with Colombian couples and everybody was getting approvals.

You should read about Costa Rica. If you are worried then you should go. I certainly don't think you can hurt your case by going.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Great news! Thanks for the info., it will help! Though my honey and I were taslking about it last night, again, and he said that I shoudlnt' worry, he will be fine going there alone.... I'll just sit at home and pray, pray, pray!!!

Thanks again! :)

skemper19 - MIAMI

2-13-2006 - Sent K-1 (I-129F) Petition to TSC

2-15-2006 - LOST EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT SO I CAN'T EVEN TRACK IT TO CONFIRM IT WAS RECEIVED

2-16-2006 - FOUND MY EXPRESS MAIL RECEIPT!!!! Confirmed I-129F package arrived!! YAY!!!!!!

3-1-2006 - TOUCHED!!!!!! Check cleared the bank, now have case #!!!!

3-2-2006 - TOUCHED AGAIN - RECEIVED NOA1 FROM CSC!!!!!!!!!

4-7-2006 through 4-17-2006 - Visited my baby in Colombia ( Had a GLORIOUS time)

5-2-2006 - TOUCHED by e-mail!!!!! I-129F HAS BEEN APPROVED (5-1-2006)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

5-6-06 - TOUCHED BY SNAIL MAIL - RECEIVED NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!

5-22-06 - Called NVC - RECEIVED PETITION AND SENT TO EMBASSY ALL IN THE SAME DAY!!!!!

5-25-06 - RECEIVED LETTER FROM NVC CONFIRMING RECEIPT AND SENDING OF PETITION TO EMBASSY

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

6-5-06 - PACKET 3 RECEIVED!!!!!!!!

6-16-05 - PACKET 4 RECEIVED!!!!!!!! Interview scheduled for July 14th!!!!!!!

7-14-06 - VISA DENIED DU TO LACK OF EVIDENCE

8-1-06 - Second interview - VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

9-29-06 - He arrived!!!!

10-19-06 - Married at a small ceremony

11-10-0 - sent AOS package

11-17-06 - RECEIVED NOA1 for AOS and EAD

11-27-06 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPT 4 12-14-06 WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO

2-1-07 - RECEIVED E-MAIL THAT EAD WAS APPROVED!!!!!!!

2-3-07 - RECEIVED EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!! Lucked out on that one!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.