lrock1111

Police Certs

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi- my fiance & I (I am the USC) are patiently awaiting our NOA2, and trying to prepare ourselves so we are ready when it arrives.

Regarding the police cert....

1) He lived in the US for 5 years before going home to Ireland. Does he need a cert for the time spent here?

2) He also lived in other countries while working for/being paid by an Irish company. Will he need police certs from those countries as well? It was a long time ago, so seems like a big hassle for something not that important, but I would rather be safe than sorry unless someone has a definite answer.

3) Has anyone obtained an Irish police cert from Dublin? How long did it take to receive? For how long is it valid?

Thanks for any help in advance-

Good Luck everyone- hang in there!

AOS

2/15/08 Married :)

3/3/08 AOS etc application sent

3/14/08 Application packet returned...signed in wrong spot

3/17/08 Corrected packet resubmitted

3/24/08 Called USCIS to learn packet was being returned again due to another error

PACKET NEVER ARRIVED _ LOST AT USCIS....WAITING FOR EXPLANATION/INSTRUCTIONS

5/12/08 Sent a new application with cover letter explaining situation

5/19/08 NOAs

5/20/08 Check cashed...FINALLY

6/10/08 Biometrics

6/20/08 AOS transferred to CSC

6/23/08 AOS touched - again 6/30 (probably received in CA)

7/9/08 AOS touched

7/10/08 AOS touched...come on CSC :)

7/18/08 EAD approved!!!!!! Card prodution ordered (67 days from filing)

7/28/08 Email saying EAD card mailed out today....but it was in the mailbox when I got home!!!!! Finally!!!

8/15/08 Welcome Permanent Resident Email

8/20/08 Email that AOS application is approved!!!! (100 days from time final application sent)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This might help.

click here

Also studied at US before for a year but found out that I don't have to get a police clearance.

AOS TIMELINE:

02.25.2008 Mailed AOS packet

03.04.2008 Check cashed

03.03.2008 NOA dates for I-485, EAD, AP

03.05.2008 Biometrics Appointment notice date

03.19.2008 Biometrics Appointment

03.22.2008 RFE for missing (2) I-864 pages :(

03.24.2008 RFE mailed back

03.31.2008 RFE received and case processing resumed

04.28.2008 AP approval notice (dated 04.25.08)

04.30.2008 EAD approved

05.02.2008 Received AP in mail

05.05.2008 Received EAD in mail

07.10.2008 Received Interview letter

08.15.2008 Interview: Approved

08.26.2008 Green Card received

Timeline

Here's a link to obtaining a police certificate from the Garda in Ireland.

If your fiance is currently living in Ireland, he can just go in person to his local Garda station and apply.

If not, he must send a letter to the Garda superintendent of the last place he lived in Ireland and apply that way. My mother tried to apply for me, but they did not accept that. They said to list the previous addresses I had lived at in Ireland in my letter and address it to the superintendent, explaining what purpose I needed it for.

Hope this helps!

Timeline

Cool, thanks guys! So it looks like he will have to get certsfrom the countries he worked in too...man that's a hassle. Does anyone know about getting police certs in Puerto Rico or Sweden?

Thanks a million!

AOS

2/15/08 Married :)

3/3/08 AOS etc application sent

3/14/08 Application packet returned...signed in wrong spot

3/17/08 Corrected packet resubmitted

3/24/08 Called USCIS to learn packet was being returned again due to another error

PACKET NEVER ARRIVED _ LOST AT USCIS....WAITING FOR EXPLANATION/INSTRUCTIONS

5/12/08 Sent a new application with cover letter explaining situation

5/19/08 NOAs

5/20/08 Check cashed...FINALLY

6/10/08 Biometrics

6/20/08 AOS transferred to CSC

6/23/08 AOS touched - again 6/30 (probably received in CA)

7/9/08 AOS touched

7/10/08 AOS touched...come on CSC :)

7/18/08 EAD approved!!!!!! Card prodution ordered (67 days from filing)

7/28/08 Email saying EAD card mailed out today....but it was in the mailbox when I got home!!!!! Finally!!!

8/15/08 Welcome Permanent Resident Email

8/20/08 Email that AOS application is approved!!!! (100 days from time final application sent)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I lived in the US from 1983-2002. I needed a police certificate. I was told that you need one for each country that you have lived in since the age of 16. Since he lived in the US for 5 years, I say get the police certificate. It's a pretty simple process and should cost you between $5-$10. Call the police station in the city he has lived in. Ask to be transferred to someone in police records. They will give you instructions on what to do. I needed to mail in a written request asking for the certificate along with my money order. I got my police record within 5 days!

Hi- my fiance & I (I am the USC) are patiently awaiting our NOA2, and trying to prepare ourselves so we are ready when it arrives.

Regarding the police cert....

1) He lived in the US for 5 years before going home to Ireland. Does he need a cert for the time spent here?

2) He also lived in other countries while working for/being paid by an Irish company. Will he need police certs from those countries as well? It was a long time ago, so seems like a big hassle for something not that important, but I would rather be safe than sorry unless someone has a definite answer.

3) Has anyone obtained an Irish police cert from Dublin? How long did it take to receive? For how long is it valid?

Thanks for any help in advance-

Good Luck everyone- hang in there!

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello DeeZee,

Thanks for posting this link... http://www.***removed***/immigration/police-certificates.html . It's exactly the answer I was looking for. I have resided in the US at two different times (> 1 year each). For K1, since it was a specified requirement (more than 6 months in all countries where have resided since 16 yo), I started to check on to how I could get Police Certs from the 2 states I've resided. Both required complete fingerprints, copies of identification in order for them to release clearance. For CA, I had to resubmit another set of fingerprints after getting a late feedback that I needed to use their fingerprinting form instead of the locally provided form. Have been worried that the Police Clearance from CA won't come in time for my interview next week. Now I shouldn't be worried since US Police Clearance is not needed for those who have resided in the USA before for at least 6 months.

Fiancee of azbound :yes: !!!

This might help.

click here

Also studied at US before for a year but found out that I don't have to get a police clearance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I lived in the US from 1983-2002. I needed a police certificate. I was told that you need one for each country that you have lived in since the age of 16. Since he lived in the US for 5 years, I say get the police certificate. It's a pretty simple process and should cost you between $5-$10. Call the police station in the city he has lived in. Ask to be transferred to someone in police records. They will give you instructions on what to do. I needed to mail in a written request asking for the certificate along with my money order. I got my police record within 5 days!

The USCIS is a law enforecement agency and therefore has access to US law enforecement databases. As a part of the petition process, the USCIS queries these law enforcement databases. A police report for time spent living in the USA is NOT required.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

So they lied to me? I say that if he was told (or maybe he needs to find out 100%) that he gets it - it's no hassle and better to be safe than sorry. I know for a fact that I was told that I needed it for the time I lived in El Paso, Tx.

The USCIS is a law enforecement agency and therefore has access to US law enforecement databases. As a part of the petition process, the USCIS queries these law enforcement databases. A police report for time spent living in the USA is NOT required.

Also, if it's like that, why do we need to get the FBI checks done if it's so simple? :blink:

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Timeline
Also, if it's like that, why do we need to get the FBI checks done if it's so simple? :blink:

What FBI checks are you referring too?

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I have a police cert question also--my Romanian fiance was "unofficially" living in Spain for the past 2 years, with family and doing volunteer work there. He never was registered anywhere there as he did not have a car or official job or anything. However, on the forms we did list Spain as his residence at the time (which may have been a mistake) because he was there at the time of filing.

He went to the Spanish embassy there to get police certificates, and they would not give him one b/c they said they have no official record of him being there. Is this going to pose a problem later? He IS able to get Romanian police certificates that cover this time period, but will it look suspicious if he has no Spain certificates, and papers that show he lived in Spain for 2 years?

BTW, he went to the Spanish embassy in Romania also, without success. Any ideas or advice is appreciated. :wacko:

“Why do the righteous suffer?” someone asked C.S. Lewis. He replied: “They are the only ones that can handle it.”

K-1 Visa:

May 4, 2007: Filed I 129-F at CSC

May 24, 2007: NOA 1

Sept. 20, 2007: APPROVAL NOA 2 !!! (Day 139)

Sept. 24, 2007: Hard copy NOA 2 received in mail

Oct. 25, 2007: Papers arrived at NVC

Oct. 29, 2007: Papers left NVC: enroute to Bucharest YAY!!

Nov. 2, 2007: Packet 3 mailed from embassy

Nov. 8, 2007: Packet 3 received, medical and interview scheduled by phone

Nov. 12, 2007: Medical appointment completed

Nov. 13, 2007: Interview in Bucharest: VISA APPROVED!!

JANUARY 12, 2008: THE WEDDING

AOS:

Dec.31, 2007: Filed AOS/EAD/AP via mail

Jan. 30, 2008: Biometrics appointment

March 11, 2008: EAD/travel document approval via email

Case transferred to CSC (date unknown)

May 12, 2008: AOS approval email!!

May 22, 2008: Green card received

Doubt thou the stars are fire; doubt that the sun doth move; doubt truth to be a liar; but never doubt I love you. (W. Shakespeare)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It is my understanding you need a police record for EVERY country you lived since the age of 16.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I have a police cert question also--my Romanian fiance was "unofficially" living in Spain for the past 2 years, with family and doing volunteer work there. He never was registered anywhere there as he did not have a car or official job or anything. However, on the forms we did list Spain as his residence at the time (which may have been a mistake) because he was there at the time of filing.

He went to the Spanish embassy there to get police certificates, and they would not give him one b/c they said they have no official record of him being there. Is this going to pose a problem later? He IS able to get Romanian police certificates that cover this time period, but will it look suspicious if he has no Spain certificates, and papers that show he lived in Spain for 2 years?

BTW, he went to the Spanish embassy in Romania also, without success. Any ideas or advice is appreciated. :wacko:

The answer to the consulate is that you do not have one because one is not available based on your facts and circumstances. The below is a snippet from the DOS website.

If you are a former illegal Third country nationals (TCN) currently living outside of Spain, you cannot obtain a police clearance.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...der/S/Spain.htm

It is my understanding you need a police record for EVERY country you lived since the age of 16.

except if one is not available....

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Any one know how to get a police report from France? My fiance lived there for 10 years, but the French Embassy is being very unhelpful.

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline
Any one know how to get a police report from France? My fiance lived there for 10 years, but the French Embassy is being very unhelpful.

POLICE RECORD

Available. Extraits de Casier Judiciaire may be obtained by any person, regardless of nationality, who has resided in France at any time, provided such residence occurred after the age of 15 years. Persons born in France may obtain the certificates from the Greffe du Tribunal de Grande Instance at their place of birth. Persons born outside of France may obtain them from the Ministere de la Justice, Casier Judiciaire National, 107, rue du Landreau 44079 Nantes Cedex 1.

The applicant should furnish his/her full name, and any other names (including maiden), by which known, date and place of birth, father's full name, mother's maiden and married names, and place of residence.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...er/F/France.htm

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

The answer to the consulate is that you do not have one because one is not available based on your facts and circumstances. The below is a snippet from the DOS website.

If you are a former illegal Third country nationals (TCN) currently living outside of Spain, you cannot obtain a police clearance.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...der/S/Spain.htm

except if one is not available....

Thanks for the info. He had a tourist visa at one time but overstayed it; then after Romania joined the European Union on Jan.1, 2007, they didn't need visas anymore anyway. Hope fully they won't stick him on this at his interview. I appreciate the helpful link and info!

“Why do the righteous suffer?” someone asked C.S. Lewis. He replied: “They are the only ones that can handle it.”

K-1 Visa:

May 4, 2007: Filed I 129-F at CSC

May 24, 2007: NOA 1

Sept. 20, 2007: APPROVAL NOA 2 !!! (Day 139)

Sept. 24, 2007: Hard copy NOA 2 received in mail

Oct. 25, 2007: Papers arrived at NVC

Oct. 29, 2007: Papers left NVC: enroute to Bucharest YAY!!

Nov. 2, 2007: Packet 3 mailed from embassy

Nov. 8, 2007: Packet 3 received, medical and interview scheduled by phone

Nov. 12, 2007: Medical appointment completed

Nov. 13, 2007: Interview in Bucharest: VISA APPROVED!!

JANUARY 12, 2008: THE WEDDING

AOS:

Dec.31, 2007: Filed AOS/EAD/AP via mail

Jan. 30, 2008: Biometrics appointment

March 11, 2008: EAD/travel document approval via email

Case transferred to CSC (date unknown)

May 12, 2008: AOS approval email!!

May 22, 2008: Green card received

Doubt thou the stars are fire; doubt that the sun doth move; doubt truth to be a liar; but never doubt I love you. (W. Shakespeare)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.