TracyTN

Calling out trolls

31 posts in this topic

I've seen a few threads lately where the folks in the thread felt that the OP was a troll (mainly based on when they joined the site, the outrageousness of the thread's content, etc) and said so in the thread. They were then told not to call that person a troll.

When did this rule start?

There have been TONS of threads the entire time I've been at VJ where people have been called trolls - often times very correctly so. I can see where it would be out of hand if you called EVERYone a troll - but what's the harm in it anyway? Either they are or they aren't. If they aren't and they come back to their thread, all they can really say is 'I'm not a troll'. Aside from the fact that a true troll may well claim not to be one anyway.

Is calling someone a troll now a violation of TOS or something? What have I missed?

SA4userbar.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Is calling someone a troll now a violation of TOS or something? What have I missed?

It always should have been. Enforcement, as you know, is spotty.

Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I read one thread recently where people were calling someone a troll, and I did say something about it, and became very unpopular in that thread. But I didn't care.

I think in some cases ppl pull out the term troll for someone when they think their question is stupid or doesn't make sense. IMO a troll is someone unknown who purposely posts an inflammatory topic in order to rile people up. In the thread I read, it was only speculation and there was no proof at all that this person was a troll. They just didn't know their facts. And the question they asked had been asked before.

I think people use the word troll too loosely. And just because there are lots of instances where ppl have called someone a troll, doesn't mean it's good practice.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

I've just read the thread from last night/this morning where the OP is getting all kinds of snippy comments about being a troll, and as far as I can see, it's pretty damned obvious that he isn't one. It's also incredibly easy to work out his 'real' identity from the info he's given in the thread - so if he's a troll, he's a troll posing as an existing poster. Yeah, right. Calling out very, very obvious trolls (you know the ones...) is one thing, but starting on someone, giving them the third degree and calling them a troll just because they only just registered and their post is a little 'unusual' is completely out of order, IMO. Why not just ignore them if you're not entirely convinced they're legit?

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
....I can see where it would be out of hand if you called EVERYone a troll - but what's the harm in it anyway? Either they are or they aren't. If they aren't and they come back to their thread, all they can really say is 'I'm not a troll'.

I've also seen many occasions where the person did come back and say "I'm not a troll" and still were not believed and still were called a troll.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
....I can see where it would be out of hand if you called EVERYone a troll - but what's the harm in it anyway? Either they are or they aren't. If they aren't and they come back to their thread, all they can really say is 'I'm not a troll'.

I've also seen many occasions where the person did come back and say "I'm not a troll" and still were not believed and still were called a troll.

TROLL!!!! :devil:

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

I understand everything that's already been said here. But obviously these are judgment calls - one person's troll is another person's non troll (if you get my meaning).

While I agree that pulling out the troll moniker EVERYtime we turn around is ridiculous - and I'm sure there are some members who overuse the term - does that mean we can NEVER call one out? I don't toss that term around. I will look back at a person's posts or threads and try to use my best judgment as to whether or not someone is a troll before I say so on a thread.

So assuming I've done the research and feel pretty confident about it, am I then going to get slapped down in the thread for having said so?

Are we supposed to do like everything else on VJ and 'take it to PM' somehow?

I'm just unclear on what's now acceptable, that's all.

TROLL!!!! :devil:

:lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

I've just read the thread from last night/this morning where the OP is getting all kinds of snippy comments about being a troll, and as far as I can see, it's pretty damned obvious that he isn't one. It's also incredibly easy to work out his 'real' identity from the info he's given in the thread - so if he's a troll, he's a troll posing as an existing poster. Yeah, right. Calling out very, very obvious trolls (you know the ones...) is one thing, but starting on someone, giving them the third degree and calling them a troll just because they only just registered and their post is a little 'unusual' is completely out of order, IMO. Why not just ignore them if you're not entirely convinced they're legit?

I didn't go trawling about to see if I could work out the person's identity and I did give accurate immigration advice. (As opposed to saying 'You can deport her' or 'I can set you up with a woman with kids, they don't leave') I'll admit to being overhasty but my trolldar is usually pretty reliable.

And the reason not to ignore the person is that a lot of people read the stories as if they're true to figure out what to expect with their own timelines and cases.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

I see your point - as the thread you mentioned unravelled it became more clear that the circumstances described certainly seemed factual. However, when the discussion started the ‘immigration’ questions were getting blurred with questions about how another man might be involved due to various deductions in the bedroom, etc. If the opening post had stuck to the facts relating to the immigration issues I don’t think the same ‘accusations’ would have been made…… maybe that’s the real point to take away from this…..

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

John Stuart Mill

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think it is rude to assume that everyone with a story that isn't run of the mill is a troll. Yet it seems to be coming into every one of those threads now; whatever happened to giving someone the benefit of the doubt?

I certainly know that if I had a major problem, and needed to get advice from somewhere, and I posted my heart out and then everyone called me a troll, I'd be upset. I think that we certainly need to be more cautious and careful about who we call out as to being a troll now because innocent posters are being accused and it just isn't very nice, imo.

One or two line posts with no background DO tend to be trolls. Someone who has taken the time to post a story tends to not be. Although there are instances where neither of these criteria apply.

Incidentally, the irony of this subject is incredible. I remember a couple of months or so back I was literally JUMPED on for calling someone a troll, here in Site Discussions. This was someone who had no posts yet came by in a thread to make specific one or two line posts directed at a certain member. I called them out and was hounded by many for accusing such an "innocent poster" of being a troll when there was no proof.

Ironically enough, it was a member who had left VJ and came back to have a dig and, what's even worse, many of the posters who were jumping on me knew about it and found it hilarious.

Makes me feel disgusted, it really does and, I shall add, it REALLY upset me.

Edited by Mags

If you are referring to the post about the missing fiancee, it sure did start out like a troll but I believe the OP later clarified his reason for posting the way he did. I called him a troll at the beginning so was I the bad guy? :wacko:

I don't like trolls!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It always should have been. Enforcement, as you know, is spotty.

Make comments in a Post either direct or implied toward another member that are purposely designed to upset, antagonize, make fun of, belittle, or otherwise instigate an argument that takes away from the personal enjoyment of the Service by other users.

but we can call you a troll as that's part of your name :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I don't assume everyone with a non-run of the mill story is a troll. (Most days, that would be half the board.) I made the assumption, wrongly as it turned out, because the person seemed less interested in immigration advice than encouraging speculation as to whether his fiancee had learned interesting sexual techniques since he deflowered her. It struck me as odd that someone would want that rather than begging people to stay on point with immigration advice (as is usual when someone who has been here a while has a problem.)

Trolls sometimes only post one or two lines. Sometimes they create elaborate stories to see how many people they can sucker. It's a big weird internet.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07