maekai05

Does it depend on interviewer ?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I wonder recently.. People say that to pass an interview to receive a visa depends on an interviewer that you deal with..

If the interviewer is mean, and unreasonable, and if I ended up with arguing with him, and he doesn't like me..

Can he turns me down even if I have all the papar works and had enough proofs that I am legally applying for visa ?

If so, then he can do anything. like receiving bribes..?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think they have certain guidelines to follow, but why would you want to argue with the interviewer? Just bite your tongue for 15 minutes and get the visa. Same goes with bribing. It would be crazy to take the chance after all the hardwork you've done. Don't stress over it, most people are pretty reasonable and easy to get along with. Just bring all your paper work and proof and don't give them any reason to doubt your marriage.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

The consulate officer does have guidelines to follow but when you get right down to it, the decision can be very subjective. I don't think most officers would deny someone just to be mean but would suppose it has happened before.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I wonder recently.. People say that to pass an interview to receive a visa depends on an interviewer that you deal with..

If the interviewer is mean, and unreasonable, and if I ended up with arguing with him, and he doesn't like me..

Can he turns me down even if I have all the papar works and had enough proofs that I am legally applying for visa ?

The interviewer is basically "God" for a few minutes! Treat him the same way or you may be struck with "lightning".

Until you get USC you have to swallow your mug and be a wimp when it comes to dealing with USCIS.

Yes Sir/Mam. No Sir/Mam!

It's OK with me you lost all our paperwork Sir/Mam. Sorry to bother you Sir/Mam about it but what can I do?

Real time! Dumb fukks. Get your fuuking act together and find it.

Yes Sir/Mam I can see why you denied our visa without any valid reason. What can I do rectify the problem.

Real time! Fukkin aholls! Hope you rot in heel.

No BS! When I was refused my first K1 I faxed the USEM those exact words.

Guess they missed it the second time around! Whewwwwwww!

Or maybe they saw it and were scared and approved us!!! No way Jose.

Bottomline is get used to kissing puwit {butte} for awhile!

Edited by beckypua

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I wouldn't advise trying to bribe a consular official...

For the New Delhi Embassy, I have this theory. The embassy makes an initial determination on your case based on paperwork filed, the entire set of evidence provided to VFS 10-15 days earlier, and the internal information present in the approved petition. Based on that, they decide if you get the easy, medium, or difficult interview.

In the end, its still up to the applicant to answer the questions. My plan is to prepare my fiancee for the difficult interview; and pray for the easy one.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi, everyone,

Thank you very much for replies. Sometimes, I had some unreasonable and unclear answers from USCIS, embassies, etc,

So I just wondered if I pointed those things out to them at interview, what they would act to me.

Well, I guess I should not take any risks for that.. I should treat them like a god till I receive the visa.

In any case, my husband wants to come to Japan to be with me at final interview for K-3.

Does it make any difference on the result of the interview ? will it be easier ?

I rather my husband to come to pick me up in Japan when I leave to US than he comes for my interview..

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi, everyone,

Thank you very much for replies. Sometimes, I had some unreasonable and unclear answers from USCIS, embassies, etc,

So I just wondered if I pointed those things out to them at interview, what they would act to me.

Well, I guess I should not take any risks for that.. I should treat them like a god till I receive the visa.

In any case, my husband wants to come to Japan to be with me at final interview for K-3.

Does it make any difference on the result of the interview ? will it be easier ?

I rather my husband to come to pick me up in Japan when I leave to US than he comes for my interview..

Your husband's presence at the interview, (if allowed) or at least in Japan with you (if not allowed in interview) will help in showing a bona fide ongoing relationship. It may not make the interview easier but may help you obtain a positive result.

While it may be wise to treat the Consular Officer with great respect, it is also important to be confident and pleasant. Too much head down meekness can be a sign of fear and bring additional srutiny. Be prepared. Dress for success. Be confident and pleasant. Expect success. But, by all means be respectful at all times while in the Consulate.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I think OP may be right about success depending IN PART on the interviewer. Of course, your fiance/e's confidence and ability to convince the interviewer that you are bona fide play a part as well. Unfortunately, this whole process seems to be all very subjective and it seems that the CO's tend to take the conservative route; they probably aren't going to "give you a break" if there is some reason they have a splinter of a doubt.

It's probably not a good idea to argue.

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I think OP may be right about success depending IN PART on the interviewer. Of course, your fiance/e's confidence and ability to convince the interviewer that you are bona fide play a part as well. Unfortunately, this whole process seems to be all very subjective and it seems that the CO's tend to take the conservative route; they probably aren't going to "give you a break" if there is some reason they have a splinter of a doubt.

It's probably not a good idea to argue.

There's no doubt that a lot of the decisions made by Consular officers have significant subjective elements but there are plent of objective elements too. The couple can have a lot of influence on both.

The biggest mistake I see though is to disregard the subjective and proceed as if it is all about filling out forms and fulfilling requirements. USCIS adjudicators and to a much greater extent, Consular officers are evaluating the relationships of people. That, by definition must by highly subjective but they are trained to be professionally subjective.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
There's no doubt that a lot of the decisions made by Consular officers have significant subjective elements but there are plent of objective elements too. The couple can have a lot of influence on both.

The biggest mistake I see though is to disregard the subjective and proceed as if it is all about filling out forms and fulfilling requirements. USCIS adjudicators and to a much greater extent, Consular officers are evaluating the relationships of people. That, by definition must by highly subjective but they are trained to be professionally subjective.

Well, my fiancee is going to take into the interview a three page letter written by me with "the story" of our relationship. I hope that helps the consular officer make the right decision (pink) in our case.

Edited by AustinJohn

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Dear Maekai05,

If I understand you correctly, you meant can the consular officer demand a bribe. I doubt this will happen. Never underestimate that no matter what the truth is, the person who is interviewing you can stop, or at least delay your process. I would reccomend being very nice. Don't worry too much about them being in a bad mood. If your circumstances are correct (it's a bona fide marriage), then you can feel confident.

As for complaining to the officer about USCIS (note, he does not work for USCIS), I'm not sure they are the right person to complain to 1) Because you're depending on this person and 2) Even if they agree with you, they may not be the right person to change things.

Of course, you can complain - but the only benefit may be to delay your approval.

I-130

2007-03-04 I-130 NOA1

2007-06-08 Touched

2007-06-26 My congressman spoke with CSC who reported our new offical receipt date is May 1st

2007-06-08 Touched!

2007-08-01 Faxed Expedite Request to USCIS

2007-08-01 Touch - did they get it? Is it the Request, or is it my time?

2007-08-02 Touch

2007-08-06 Touch

2007-09-04 Touch - call from My congressman's office. It's in "extended review"

2007-09-17 Touch - My congressman Called

2007-09-18 Touch

2007-09-19 Now we're the last of the march filers!

2007-09-25 Touch - So what?

2007-10-01 Touch

2007-10-02 APPROVED!!!

I-129F

2007-03-30 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-17 I-129F transfered to California Service Center

2007-04-23 Congressman wrote to CSC

2007-06-01 Congressman reports application normal

2007-06-08 Touched

2007-06-12 Called USCIS. Clerk said it's being processed and gave standard response times

2007-06-26 My congressman spoke with the CSC who reported our new offical receipt date is now May 1st

2007-06-08 Touch

2007-07-05 Touch

2007-07-06 Touch

2007-08-01 Touch

2007-08-02 Touch

2007-08-06 Touch

2007-08-12 Touch (on a sunday?)

2007-08-13 Touch - is something really happening? It's about time

2007-08-19 Touch - from my call on 08-17

2007-09-04 Touch - call from My congressman's office. It's in "extended review"

2007-10-01 Touch

2007-10-02 APPROVED!!!

2007-12-19 Wife and Kids Arrived!

2008-12-08 Green Card Interview - Finally we're done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.