happyscrub

We were approved. Thank you for this site. Wasn't hard at all

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline
Posted (edited)

I filed for my fiancée myself (no lawyers). Didn't get one RFE or any other problems. All I did was read the instructions, followed directions, researched the topic online. I want to say that I think most of the advice online is geared toward the worst scenarios or high red flag countries. I did a lot of things that seemed "risky" by others but had no problems. I treated this like feeling out any other government forms. I only gave what was necessary.   

1. I only had 4 pictures for my petition at USCIS. A lot of people said you needed a ton of pictures. And pictures were the only proof of relationship I sent. I did state, however, that the reason I didn't have a lot of pictures was because I video recorded most of the time there.

2. I didn't write some long love story for the petition on how we met. I think it was probably 4 sentences.
3. I filed 2 months after meeting in person for the 1st time.

4. My second meeting was the day BEFORE the scheduled interview. So I didn't do a ton of meetings to boost chances.
5. I only added 3 pictures of the same night (in the same clothes) to the interview evidence

6. I added only a screen shot of the 1st few messages a month for a year on Facebook

7. I added receipts of all the money transfers I sent. Many people here say that is bad

8. I added evidence of dowry being paid to the parents. Many people say that is bad, but I think that's only in countries where it's a law that dowry means marriage.

9. I went to chew the embassy out for confusion over the interview (they canceled our interview but rescheduled it the following week over some disorganization on their end. But I was under the impression that they were saying it was a mistake I did.) It's the American way LOL

But I will add that, which I assumed to be logically correct, that we were an "easy" case.

1. A poor country but not a red flag country or even a country were many people immigrant from.

2. We both are never married and never had children

3. Same race (black)

4. 12 year age difference but 29 and 41.

I'm gonna pay it forward and stay on this site to help other people

Edited by happyscrub

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Posted (edited)

Heartiest congratulations!  Now, if you haven't done so already, become an "A" student of the remaining process.  Make plans for cultural acclimation and your future lives together.

Love to read messages like this.  :dance: 

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.