A.A

N-400 evidence of marriage

27 posts in this topic

My wife obtained her green card, and successfully had the condition removed, resulting in the issuance of her 10-year green card. Now she wants to apply for U.S. citizenship N-400.

Just two questions

1) Reason for filing, will she need to select spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)? Or General Provision?

2) What evidence do I need to submit with the N-400? I know she will need to submit her green card front/back, my certificate of Naturalization, because I am her spouse.  Am I missing anything else?

Do I need to submit anything else with the application such proof of continuous marriage (tax returns, kids birth certificate, house under our name together. Or do not submit it?

34 minutes ago, A.A said:

Just two questions

1) Reason for filing, will she need to select spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)? Or General Provision?

If she's been an LPR for 5 years (minus 90 days for early filing) she can select general. Otherwise either wait for general or file based on marriage

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, A.A said:

2) What evidence do I need to submit with the N-400? I know she will need to submit her green card front/back, my certificate of Naturalization, because I am her spouse.  Am I missing anything else?

Depends on which rule she applies. If under marriage, she'd have to submit pretty much similar stuff as for I-751. 

If under general, she doesn't need to provide proof of bonafide marriage.

In both cases it's advisable to submit copies of tax return transcripts (3 or 5 years based on what rule she's applying)

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
20 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Depends on which rule she applies. If under marriage, she'd have to submit pretty much similar stuff as for I-751. 

If under general, she doesn't need to provide proof of bonafide marriage.

In both cases it's advisable to submit copies of tax return transcripts (3 or 5 years based on what rule she's applying)

Just to add that I had my interview yesterday, and although I applied under the general provision, the officer asked me questions about my marriage. It can't hurt to submit a few key pieces of evidence of bona fide marriage. He specifically asked about joint property (house, car) or both being on the rental agreement, being on the same health insurance plan, and whether he was with me on my last trip abroad. I had already submitted tax transcripts that showed we filed jointly.

CR1 Visa

USCIS STAGE: 16 days No expedite request but USC residing abroad
NVC STAGE: 19 days from case # to case complete
03/27/12: interview at Paris embassy - APPROVED
04/12/12: POE San Diego

ROC
01/15/14: sent I-751 application

05/14/14: received card production notification by e-mail, approval date 05/13

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

02/09/24: received NOA1 by mail

02/10/24: received biometrics reuse notice by mail

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

05/14/24: approved at interview, same-day oath ceremony in San Francisco 🥳 🇺🇸

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

06/25/24: passport received

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Laure&Colin said:

Just to add that I had my interview yesterday, and although I applied under the general provision, the officer asked me questions about my marriage. It can't hurt to submit a few key pieces of evidence of bona fide marriage. He specifically asked about joint property (house, car) or both being on the rental agreement, being on the same health insurance plan, and whether he was with me on my last trip abroad. I had already submitted tax transcripts that showed we filed jointly.

Yes, questions about marriage can pop up during N-400 under 5 year rule too. It's just the depth of questions might be less compared to 3 year rule case. Naturalization is the last chance for USCIS to deport somebody. They can ask anything, even pertaining tourist visa visits from 10 years ago. Even if statutory period is only 5 years.

Edited by OldUser

I am not sure whether to select spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)? Or General Provision?

Here is the reason, 

She came to the U.S. in June 2019, applied to remove condition in 2021, received her full green card February 2024.

Next month will be 5 years. I am sending the application this week.

What is the better option? select spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)? Or General Provision?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Laure&Colin said:

He specifically asked about joint property (house, car) or both being on the rental agreement, being on the same health insurance plan

That sounds odd.  Under the general provision, there is no requirement to be in marital union with a US citizen spouse....especially since you had been a Green Card holder for more than 10 years.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, A.A said:

I am not sure whether to select spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)? Or General Provision?

Here is the reason, 

She came to the U.S. in June 2019, applied to remove condition in 2021, received her full green card February 2024.

What is the better option? select spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)? Or General Provision?

If, next month, she has had a Green Card for 5 years, then file under the General provision.  Don't make this more difficult than it has to be.  Filing as a spouse of a US citizen will require you to submit the same type of evidence as you did for the I-751.  If you file under the 3 year rule, this will apply:

A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE to COMPLETING THE NEW N-400 (ilrc.org)

Item B: An application based upon marriage to a U.S. citizen for three years. INA § 319(a) allows such applicants to become eligible to naturalize after just three years of lawful permanent resident status. Filing under this provision requires proof that the marriage and the U.S. citizen spouse’s citizenship are valid. An applicant must provide the naturalization certificate or U.S. birth certificate of the U.S. citizen spouse and a marriage certificate. If either spouse was previously married, the applicant must produce documents showing proper termination of the earlier marriage(s)

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That sounds odd.  Under the general provision, there is no requirement to be in marital union with a US citizen spouse....especially since you had been a Green Card holder for more than 10 years.

I thought so too 🤷‍♀️

He also asked if we had ever lived apart. Weird since I got my ROC approved exactly 10 years ago. I didn't even have an interview back then, evidence submitted was sufficient.

CR1 Visa

ROC

Naturalization

02/01/24: N-400 submitted online; Biometrics reuse notice received immediately online; "case being actively reviewed" after a couple hours

04/08/24: interview scheduled for 05/14. Received "We have taken an action in your case" email.

Passport

06/10/24: application submitted at post office for passport book and card, paid for expedited processing and shipping

06/24/24: received email notification that passport was approved, then shipped with tracking number

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

I heard of this happening before. I'm sure if a lawyer was present, IO wouldn't dare asking irrelevant stuff...

1 minute ago, Laure&Colin said:

I thought so too 🤷‍♀️

He also asked if we had ever lived apart. Weird since I got my ROC approved exactly 10 years ago. I didn't even have an interview back then, evidence submitted was sufficient.

I guess USCIS wanted to ensure ROC wasn't issued in error. As we know past approvals don't guarantee approval for subsequent petitions. Everything can be rechecked at any point in immigration.

Timeline
1 hour ago, A.A said:

Here is the reason, 

Definitely general provision since she qualifies for that. I would still upload tax transcripts, kids birth certificates and title for your house in both your names.

Also it's HER petition at this point, she's filing for US citizenship, not you. She needs to be able to say why SHE wants to become a citizen when asked. Even if you're the one usually dealing with paperwork, make sure she's involved in the process.

CR1 Visa

ROC

Naturalization

Passport

11 minutes ago, Laure&Colin said:

Definitely general provision since she qualifies for that. I would still upload tax transcripts, kids birth certificates and title for your house in both your names.

Also it's HER petition at this point, she's filing for US citizenship, not you. She needs to be able to say why SHE wants to become a citizen when asked. Even if you're the one usually dealing with paperwork, make sure she's involved in the process.

Understandable, well she has the evidence already printed out, she has more than enough. Does it hurt if she selects spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)?

I understand the part where she can select general, but she had everything prepared as if she selected spouse of U.S. citizen option, question is will it hurt? She is shipping the application within a day or so.

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

If, next month, she has had a Green Card for 5 years, then file under the General provision.  Don't make this more difficult than it has to be.  Filing as a spouse of a US citizen will require you to submit the same type of evidence as you did for the I-751.  If you file under the 3 year rule, this will apply:

A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE to COMPLETING THE NEW N-400 (ilrc.org)

Item B: An application based upon marriage to a U.S. citizen for three years. INA § 319(a) allows such applicants to become eligible to naturalize after just three years of lawful permanent resident status. Filing under this provision requires proof that the marriage and the U.S. citizen spouse’s citizenship are valid. An applicant must provide the naturalization certificate or U.S. birth certificate of the U.S. citizen spouse and a marriage certificate. If either spouse was previously married, the applicant must produce documents showing proper termination of the earlier marriage(s)

Understandable, well she has the evidence already printed out to support our marriage, she has more than enough evidence. Does it hurt if she selects spouse of U.S. citizen (eligibility based on Marriage to a U.S. Citizen)?

I understand the part where she can select general, but she had everything prepared as if she selected spouse of U.S. citizen option, question is will it hurt? She is shipping the application within a day or so.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, A.A said:

She is shipping the application within a day or so.

I would file an online N-400.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.